Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora prospects - 2016.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah it was an amazing display . Saw it from my attic window here in Finglas around half 7 then called my mate to come pick me up to head to the Hill of Tara straight away.

Heres the Timelapse:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Ian, it seems in the last year or so there have been a lot more opportunities to see the Aurora and further south than we ever thought imaginable. Is this a trend that looks like continuing or is it just a particular active time for the sun?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so annoyed I missed this last night, we had a clear sky here all evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Is this a trend that looks like continuing or is it just a particular active time for the sun?

Periodical (more/less) thing. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_24

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What did kp get to last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gonzo wrote: »
    so annoyed I missed this last night, we had a clear sky here all evening as well.

Yep, same here. A chap I work with viewed it from county Meath last night and described it as amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ian, it seems in the last year or so there have been a lot more opportunities to see the Aurora and further south than we ever thought imaginable. Is this a trend that looks like continuing or is it just a particular active time for the sun?

I thought the sun's solar output was suppose to be very weak even though we are in a solar maximum cycle, obviously not if we are seeing the Aurora this far south

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It is very weak, the weakest it's been in decades but that does not stop direct hits from big flares the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Will there be any possibility of seeing anything tonight do we know??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Iancar29 wrote: »
    to head to the Hill of Tara
    And there's a comment on your FB page from Tara Hill! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm southside of Dublin (Rathfarnham) so really not a hope of seeing anything with the city lights in the way. Whats a good viewing spot thats relatively quick to get to on a weeknight? Hill of Tara looks quite good, anyone got any other tips?

Its just the last year or 2 has been solar maximum, its a period of 13 years. So it will die off again from next year onwards. Social networks has increased awareness of events though massively too.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What did kp get to last night?
    6 , but its not always just the KP you need to look at, the BZ was way south, -13 for a time.
    I thought the sun's solar output was suppose to be very weak even though we are in a solar maximum cycle, obviously not if we are seeing the Aurora this far south

This solar cycle has been very weak, in terms of sunspots. This storm was mainly caused by a coronal hole though, not a flaring sunspot.
    Will there be any possibility of seeing anything tonight do we know??

No, storm is dying off now and its a cloud fest out there.
    I'm southside of Dublin (Rathfarnham) so really not a hope of seeing anything with the city lights in the way. Whats a good viewing spot thats relatively quick to get to on a weeknight? Hill of Tara looks quite good, anyone got any other tips?

Basically somewhere away from the glare of the city. Even though i spotted them from finglas it was nothing special without my camera. Howth summit would be a decent spot id imagine .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was surprised (and really annoyed) by how little advance notice there was for this, or even notice during the event itself! Woke up the next morning to find lots of glorious photos and I didn't even know to poke my head out and check :(

MJohnston wrote:
    I was surprised (and really annoyed) by how little advance notice there was for this, or even notice during the event itself! Woke up the next morning to find lots of glorious photos and I didn't even know to poke my head out and check

Got an alert email before the event and forgot about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Got an alert email before the event and forgot about it

Not annoyed at you, or boards I mean ha :D

I just mean, Facebook and Twitter are full of trending topics about vacuous celebrity ****e, but they couldn't spare a moment for this!

MJohnston wrote: »
    I was surprised (and really annoyed) by how little advance notice there was for this, or even notice during the event itself! Woke up the next morning to find lots of glorious photos and I didn't even know to poke my head out and check :(
    There are various sites which give advance warning, www.calsky.com for instance. Just enter your location details and they'll send an alert for aurorae, or other events.

MJohnston wrote:
    I just mean, Facebook and Twitter are full of trending topics about vacuous celebrity ****e, but they couldn't spare a moment for this!

Another good reason not to have such accounts. Drama queen sites particularly facebook

Next aurora potential is tomorrow night ( probably too late to view from Ireland ) or Wednesday . Hard to tell how strong its gonna be but a similar display to last week is not out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

aurora visible now on this webcam from the shetlands http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had to laugh at this email from Aurora watch :pac:

Dear AuroraWatch UK subscriber,

We apologise for the earlier false alert (issued 13:25 UTC today) which was caused by a lawnmower creating a local disturbance at our Lancaster site. For more information please see
    http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/aurorawatchuk/2016/08/23/red-alert-cancelled/

The AuroraWatch UK team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Discodog wrote: »
    I had to laugh at this email from Aurora watch :pac:

Dear AuroraWatch UK subscriber,

We apologise for the earlier false alert (issued 13:25 UTC today) which was caused by a lawnmower creating a local disturbance at our Lancaster site. For more information please see
    http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/aurorawatchuk/2016/08/23/red-alert-cancelled/

The AuroraWatch UK team

Ha the best ever.
    Those damn lawnmowers and their leaky electrical discharges.:D

The aurora does look to be fairly strong at the moment though just north of Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/images/aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.png

Edit: It was a livelink to site. Not sure if allowed to do that.
    So I reduced it back to a clickable link instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Reports of Aurora from all over Scotland, Northern Ireland and North of England.
    Where is a good spot north of Dublin to try see them? I think Ive seen pictures from north of the airport that has good view north and relatively dark. The next few nights could be good.

Im just back from Iceland and although I got 2 reasonable nights, the last 10 days were cloudy. And typical theres great displays there tonight.

KP7 likely soon.

Didn't see any action and the clouds are building up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Currently over 700km/s with some southerly pointing bz.

September 27, 2016 @ 19:10 UTC
    Geomagnetic Storm Warning
    As expected, minor (G1) to moderate (G2) geomagnetic storming is being observed at higher latitudes. An increased solar wind speed currently near 600 km/s is contributing to the storm. Sky watchers at middle to high latitudes should be alert for visible aurora tonight as periods of storming will remain possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

A lot of activity at the moment. Fingers crossed for clear skies.

Current KP 7.5 & BZ -19.5

kp7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When will it be viewable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Carnacalla wrote: »
    When will it be viewable?

Nothing certain but the best prospect is after midnight, depending, of course, on cloud cover and the moon setting (3.50am,I believe)

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

Advertisement