Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joanna Newsom

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Been listening to the new album solidly for about a week. I think it's pretty damn amazing. Have to say it's a bit easier to swallow than the last one, being one third the size of HOOM. Not that I was complaining of course - you can't have too much of a good thing! But there was just so much music to digest last time out, that I'd be lying if I said I'd given each and every song it's proper due attention.

The music is still as rewarding as ever. It's really a wonder how she manages to make music that seems so dense and idiosyncratic at first listen - that you can feel, sometimes, like you need to pound it flat with a hammer and study it, before you can properly appreciate it - but then reveals its charms with familiarity, and you're left wondering how you didn't register it's gorgeousness the first time you heard it.

I have to single out how brilliant she is lyrically as well. Some of the songs here - just to read the lyrics alone is like reading poetry. Maybe I've gone slightly ga-ga with praise here, but she's damn good - maybe the best out there right now - at painting evocative pictures with words that seem dense with allusion and metaphor, but are still immediate enough to give you a gut-level reaction too. I know that's not headline news for many of you, but I think in all the media talk about her at this present moment, this string in her.... harp... is still largely overlooked in favour of "it's the return of the weird voiced wan" type of commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not been mentioned here yet but she's playing the Olympia on March 3rd. Not had the pleasure of seeing here live but definitely looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought her new material worked really well live. A more stripped down setup than her previous tour but just as effective.

You guys are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I think there are only tickets left are unreserved seats in the Upper Circle. Anyone any idea what the seats are like here? Are the views restricted?

I think there are only tickets left are unreserved seats in the Upper Circle. Anyone any idea what the seats are like here? Are the views restricted?

If your view is restricted it'll say it on your ticket when you're booking it.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    If your view is restricted it'll say it on your ticket when you're booking it.

Its the unreserved area of the upper circle so it doesn't mention anything about a restricted view. Don't really like the venue but bought a ticket anyway. Hopefully its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Its the unreserved area of the upper circle so it doesn't mention anything about a restricted view. Don't really like the venue but bought a ticket anyway. Hopefully its good.

:eek: best music venue in Dublin by miles

:eek: best music venue in Dublin by miles

And for a long time now.

So, is anyone heading along tonight?

According to the Olympia website 'Approximate stage times as follows: doors open 7pm, support from Robin Pecknold at 7.50pm to 8.30pm, with Joanna Newsom due on stage at 9pm until about 11pm. '

Didn't know Robin Pecknold was playing. Love Fleet Foxes so going to try and get there in time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Jealous.

She's made a slight change to the standard set list since late last year which have definitely improved it

• Advertisement

Well that was just ****ing magnificent.

mosstin wrote: »
    Well that was just ****ing magnificent.

It was indeed. Great show and a nice nice of songs from all her albums.

Advertisement