Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

2 year contract extension for Brady :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

His contract goes till he's 42 which is crazy when you think about it but he's the best QB in the league at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭me89

Hazys wrote: »
    His contract goes till he's 42 which is crazy when you think about it but he's the best QB in the league at the moment

Great news, now we need a new O-line to make sure he can see out that contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't think any of us are surprised by this. We're just so blessed to have Brady and his frequent willingness to always help the team out with Cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Thinking about this last night when i was watching some of the combine, they were talking about Jimmy G and what it means for him and then I kinda got a flash forward if you will....Age is age, you can't out train a body getting older. I know he looks after his body but realistically we must be looking at some form of diminished performance or more injury prone over the next season or two.

How does anyone else see TB12 playing out?

Is Jimmy just waiting for that, is he tied contract wise? I know he's learning under the best but surely he'll want a shot at some point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BKWDR wrote: »
    How does anyone else see TB12 playing out?
    At some point there has to be a drop-off. But based on last season (when he had a shot at being MVP) I think there's a least 2 years of top level play from him.

At some point there has to be a drop-off. But based on last season (when he had a shot at being MVP) I think there's a least 2 years of top level play from him.

Yeah i think so to, defo 1 year. If he stays on his feet.

But i can't help but think about Manning and his record breaking season in 14 then the downward spiral just gone...and i know he ended up with a ring but there are some many different reasons, if brock hadn't have won the couple games etc.

Like i suppose what i am trying to say is, we are going to witness a situation where he is benched or out through injury, likely in the next season or two. It can't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I can only see it ending badly for Tom Brady and New England, I believe his dad has also expressed similar feelings on the subject, not much to be done though really, wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league and things like him always being on board with renegotiating and helping the team with cap room are just some of the many reasons I love him. He does it so regularly we actually take it for granted now I feel, and we shouldn't.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

BKWDR wrote: »
    But i can't help but think about Manning and his record breaking season in 14 then the downward spiral just gone...and i know he ended up with a ring but there are some many different reasons, if brock hadn't have won the couple games etc.

That miraculous season for Manning was back in 2013 and his dramatic fall off in 2014, as many have pointed out, correlated with the introduction of HGH testing. The nature of the neck surgeries he had, meant the established medical consensus suggested that he would have been well past his peak when he returned to the game. But Brady isn't Manning, Brady won't even put Coca Cola into his body, never mind anything more questionable than that. Some QB's depend on having a big arm, a deep threat and an inevitable PI call to help them on the field. So when they inevitable age & decline comes and lose their arm strength, they're pretty much screwed.

But Brady is different than most, he's never relied on a big arm or needing a go up and grab it WR to bail him out. He's also been blessed with perfect throwing mechanics and he continues to find ways to improve it even now. Brady's greatest weapon is the one thing that won't diminish with age, in fact it will get better and that weapon is his game brain and his lightning fast decision making on the field. I think he commented after the 2014 SB win, that he finds the game slower than ever now and that's a scary thing for opposing defenses to hear.

Last season, before we started getting wiped out with injuries the 38 year old Brady was on course for a record year for TD's & passing yards. We watched him getting smashed by the Broncos defense and the tough old SOB still could have won it for us in the end. In the SB we watched the huge & highly mobile Cam Newton, wilt and give up in the face of the same Broncos defense. There's no tougher QB in the league than Brady and all we got to do is give him a decent O line and he'll do the rest.

One thing I'm confident we won't see is, the kind of sudden & dramatic decline Manning had. I never seen anything like that, it was just sad to watch. With Brady, I won't be in the least bit surprised if he's getting another 2 year extension in 2018. Barring him not getting injured, I think his decline will be more gradual and he'll probably end up playing at a level that the average league QB is currently playing at. And maybe Stringer is right when he quoted Brady's dad, maybe it could end badly in the end. But looking at the standard setting level he played at in 2015 and his famous fanaticism for minding his body and trying to improve, I'll be shocked if the bad ending comes before the end of his new contract extension.
    For the record and in case some non-Pats fan tries to spin anythign I've said RE: Manning, I love Manning and he's one of my all time favourite QB's. I made one post in that HGH thread and tbh, my underlying emotion was one of being píssed off. My gut told me he would get a ring handed to him by the Broncos D and that irritated me, because poor aul Brady would have no such luck. And if the allegations are proven, then I'll forgive the guy because after all the neck surgeries he had, I understand why he may have turned to something like HGH to save his career.

No one's disPutin that Corvus. Manning in 2013 vs 2014 was a classic case of sometime's it's your year, sometimes its Not Your Year. With Tom B (The Goat), all we need is Belichick to ask him at the start of each season "Are You Well enough to play this year?" and let Tom decide. There's a lot of sheeple out there who will go with the narrative "he's almost 40, he'll decline" - but Im Not A Sheeple. I'll let Brady's performances do the talking. If that makes me Public Enemy number one, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

As much as we want to knock Manning how do any of us know no Pats player has ever used HGH in injury recovery in the past including #12. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the majority of NFL players are using it to aid recovery.

What is helping Brady though is that he has for the most part kept healthy throughout his career and done no real damage to his body other than the ligament tear and few minor injuries. Keeping healthy help a guy going into his 40's as he has less ailments to worry about. Look and Manning and Favre both bashed up with injuries and it affected them hard in their final seasons.

First off, my bad i got the Manning seasons wrong...

No one's disPutin that Corvus. Manning in 2013 vs 2014 was a classic case of sometime's it's your year, sometimes its Not Your Year. With Tom B (The Goat), all we need is Belichick to ask him at the start of each season "Are You Well enough to play this year?" and let Tom decide. There's a lot of sheeple out there who will go with the narrative "he's almost 40, he'll decline" - but Im Not A Sheeple. I'll let Brady's performances do the talking. If that makes me Public Enemy number one, then so be it.

I don't think its about being a sheep and going with any narrative. I don't think its anything to do with asking him at the start of the season. I was just asking, in the context of signing a contract that sees him play until 42, the inevitable decline in ability or performance given his age, where do we see his future or Jimmy's future for that matter.

Listen, great he only eats avacados and doesn't drink coke. That doesn't take away the fact that he is the age he is and his body will stop doing what it does at peak eventually. We are talking in reality here, i'm not trying to troll or rise anyone.

Also, i would imagine that the HGH doesn't seem to be a front and centre issue as like you say JCTO, half the league are probably on some form of illegal recovery susbstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

JCTO wrote: »
    As much as we want to knock Manning how do any of us know no Pats player has ever used HGH in injury recovery in the past including #12. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the majority of NFL players are using it to aid recovery.

We already know that Harrison used it to recover from injury while a Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players took HGH but I would be if Brady took it given how he is almost insane about looking looking after his body.

Lafell and Scott Chandler both released

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

No surprise. Lafell really fell off a cliff this year. Roddy White wouldn't be a bad option if the price was right

me89 wrote: »
    Lafell and Scott Chandler both released
    That is why we are a winning franchise every season, there is no room for sentiment with BB in charge. LaFell did well in 2014 but didn't do well last season and he is gone. Chandler looked promising at times but that is not good enough for Bill.

Looks like Dobson and Tyms are gone too. I guess we'll see a few new receivers in New England this year. I wonder will it be veteran like White or Colston, or one of the younger guys like Sanu or Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Surprised the dropped Tyms, was he not still on the PS? shame he got hurt when he did, was showing some potential.

Scott Zolak hinting on Twitter of big moves for the Pats.

Mohamed Sanu liked his tweet and he's also strongly hinting at Mario Williams

Don't know how reliable this is tho...Sanu is not a free agent yet

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be prepared to call either Sanu or Williams a big move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭Shedite27

eagle eye wrote: »
    I wouldn't be prepared to call either Sanu or Williams a big move.
    They're about as big a move as we can get this yer really isn't it? No 1st round pick to trade for anyone, no bigger free agents really

Logan Mankins is retiring, pity he didnt get to stay as a Patriot for his entire career but I'm sure he'll be entered into the Patriots Hall of Fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I thought his departure was interesting. He refused to restructure his deal, which I admired. Teams have too much power in that regard.

But then the Pats went, well if you want to earn the money agreed to in your contract, you can earn it somewhere else, and traded him to the Bucs.

So there he is, earning his agreed to money, which he was entitled to, losing more games than not, and then misses out on a ring!

A great example of how much power the clubs have.

Happy to see Devlin signed a 1 year deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I can see this being a problem in the future if he is unhappy with pay. Having said that does he mean he doesn't work hard for money but winning? Guy tweets like a 12 year old.

https://twitter.com/RobGronkowski/status/707001173388218368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

JCTO wrote: »
    I can see this being a problem in the future if he is unhappy with pay. Having said that does he mean he doesn't work hard for money but winning? Guy tweets like a 12 year old.

https://twitter.com/RobGronkowski/status/707001173388218368
    It can't be unexpected thought, the option was always going to be taken by the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Forte going to Jets by look of it.

Forte going to Jets by look of it.

Good signing but if they don't resign Fitzpatrick...they'll be the same old Jets

• Advertisement

Are we going to sign anyone??

Advertisement