Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭muloc

quick question please...can't find definitive answer.

how much of this is actually open for cycling?

Is there definite dates for more phases to open?

would like to base a weekend in waterford round it

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Stokolan wrote: »
    Not me. I use these :D No puncture tyres.

nice. is it just a standard tubeless system? have seen them in action. well impressed. expensive though
    muloc wrote: »

thank you.

i cant exactly answer your question but the parts i have been on are not complete yet. it is possible to cycle these on a mountain bike but i wouldnt recommend a road bike. i believe there are spots complete around the dungarvan area that could be used with a road bike. just be careful of crews working on the trail with heavy machinery. im hoping to walk the whole trail from waterford to dungarvan very soon so i ll report back my findings. if you flick through the thread you ll see the odd few pictures of the current state of sections and other bits of info

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭muloc

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i cant exactly answer your question but the parts i have been on are not complete yet. it is possible to cycle these on a mountain bike but i wouldnt recommend a road bike. i believe there are spots complete around the dungarvan area that could be used with a road bike. just be careful of crews working on the trail with heavy machinery. im hoping to walk the whole trail from waterford to dungarvan very soon so i ll report back my findings. if you flick through the thread you ll see the odd few pictures of the current state of sections and other bits of info

ok thanks....maybe I'll just wait till it's fully opened

ok thanks....maybe I'll just wait till it's fully opened

could be a while before its fully open but i ll know more after the walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

nice. is it just a standard tubeless system? have seen them in action. well impressed. expensive though

Yeah, They are a solid tyre. Not much heavier then a winter tyre, but they are slightly harder to push.

They are a bit expensive, but some road bike tyres could cost you €50 including tube. so for the sake of another €15 I don't have to worry about getting a puncture

• Advertisement

Stokolan wrote: »
    Yeah, They are a solid tyre. Not much heavier then a winter tyre, but they are slightly harder to push.

They are a bit expensive, but some road bike tyres could cost you €50 including tube. so for the sake of another €15 I don't have to worry about getting a puncture

nice. not too expensive i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

thank you.

Hi, here's the very latest:

Dungarvan to Ballinroad...4km...open
    Ballinroad to Durrow...9km...in progress, expected to open in July or August 2015
    Durrow to Kilmeaden...24km...expected to open in mid 2016 but to be confirmed
    Kilmeaden to Waterford...10km...in progress, expected to open in November 2015

Hope this helps!

Hi, here's the very latest:

Dungarvan to Ballinroad...4km...open
    Ballinroad to Durrow...9km...in progress, expected to open in July or August 2015
    Durrow to Kilmeaden...24km...expected to open in mid 2016 but to be confirmed
    Kilmeaden to Waterford...10km...in progress, expected to open in November 2015

Hope this helps!

most certainly does. thank you very much. is the whole track passable as it is by foot?

most certainly does. thank you very much. is the whole track passable as it is by foot?

Most but not all. Some small legal matters still need to be sorted so it's best not to wander around too much just yet! Also, for now the track is severed in 3 places by the N25 so that makes an end-to-end walk impossible as well.

Most but not all. Some small legal matters still need to be sorted so it's best not to wander around too much just yet! Also, for now the track is severed in 3 places by the N25 so that makes an end-to-end walk impossible as well.

thank you very much. ah roads havent stopped me yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

looksee wrote: »
    Can we persuade cyclists that this is a recreational cycle way, rather than a sprint/ speed trial? If cyclists are doing a reasonable speed they will be able to share the area with walkers without problems, but if they feel they have to maintain speed then it will not be a suitable area to take children to walk. Not to mention the fact that you can't have cyclists using the same path and going in opposite directions if they feel they are entitled to keep up a maximum speed.

Like another poster I'm a member of a club in town, and again I wouldn't see the greenway being used by the clubs. I and everybody I've spoken to see it above all as a great facility to get out for a leisurely spin with the kids. I'm sure nonetheless there'll be the odd gob****e that fancies himself as the next Alberto Contador, but I hope this is far from the norm. I don't think it's a huge problem in Mayo, albeit the surface there isn't really suitable for speed.At the end of the day I'd prefer to see the greenway without restrictive measures like kissing gates and the like - not from the not being able to go fast perspective, but from the fact they're a PITA to negotiate with tagalongs, trailers etc

JMcL wrote: »
    Like another poster I'm a member of a club in town, and again I wouldn't see the greenway being used by the clubs. I and everybody I've spoken to see it above all as a great facility to get out for a leisurely spin with the kids. I'm sure nonetheless there'll be the odd gob****e that fancies himself as the next Alberto Contador, but I hope this is far from the norm. I don't think it's a huge problem in Mayo, albeit the surface there isn't really suitable for speed.At the end of the day I'd prefer to see the greenway without restrictive measures like kissing gates and the like - not from the not being able to go fast perspective, but from the fact they're a PITA to negotiate with tagalongs, trailers etc

thats a good point. its good to hear the views from clubs and cyclists on this matter. this will be a great facility for the county. i greatly thank all those involved in making it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Just wondering how much is now open from the waterford side and where u can enter? Someone told me it's near carrickphierish and I think I've seen it but didn't know how to get to it!

araic88 wrote: »
    Just wondering how much is now open from the waterford side and where u can enter? Someone told me it's near carrickphierish and I think I've seen it but didn't know how to get to it!

you can enter at the start/end point near bilberry or near Mount Congreve Nurseries. im not sure how much is officially open but the whole trail is walkable but its not advisable as theres still many issues along the way including fencing of all different types and access issues. theres no issues from bilberry to suir valley railway in Kilmeaden, just be aware of workers and machinery along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

You've tarmac as far as Carriganore fly-over on N25 (not passable).

Then gravel - I've only made it as far as Congreve Gardens (crossing the stream in the back) but it goes way further.
    It wasn't worth damaging tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I heard someone from the Council last week saying on the radio that the whole Greenway won't be completed until mid-August now.

Hopefully it won't be delayed beyond that, it would be nice to experience the whole thing in the height of summer . . . that's if we get a summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Using any part of the Greenway before it is officially opened, could mean there would be no Local Authority indemnification should any accidents or incidents occur.

Fishy1 wrote: »
    I heard someone from the Council last week saying on the radio that the whole Greenway won't be completed until mid-August now.

Hopefully it won't be delayed beyond that, it would be nice to experience the whole thing in the height of summer . . . that's if we get a summer:)

The fact that we've had storm after storm really hasn't helped. The tougher work will be the 3 N25 crossings and the council have to be sure the conditions are safe enough for people to work on a road that can't be closed.
    Using any part of the Greenway before it is officially opened, could mean there would be no Local Authority indemnification should any accidents or incidents occur.

Definitely a use-at-your-own-risk. Durrow to Dungarvan (approx 11km) will open within weeks, it's going to be a sensational section!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just read through the thread.
    This project seems to be a great idea and will provide a wonderful amenity.

I saw no mention in the thread about provisions for correct access persons with disability ....... with and without wheelchairs ..... or any specific parking for loading/unloading required transport for such users of the amenity.

Neither did I see mentioned any references to the use of powered vehicles on the greenway. Such vehicles could include (semi-)electric bicycles, electric wheelchairs, scooters and so on, for those less-able for long walks.

What about gradients and flat 'staging' areas?

Does anyone have any information about such matters?

Thanks.

Just read through the thread.
    This project seems to be a great idea and will provide a wonderful amenity.

I saw no mention in the thread about provisions for correct access persons with disability ....... with and without wheelchairs ..... or any specific parking for loading/unloading required transport for such users of the amenity.

Neither did I see mentioned any references to the use of powered vehicles on the greenway. Such vehicles could include (semi-)electric bicycles, electric wheelchairs, scooters and so on, for those less-able for long walks.

What about gradients and flat 'staging' areas?

Does anyone have any information about such matters?

Thanks.

Hi John,

There'll be numerous access points scattered throughout the 48km, many of these will have carparks with dedicated parking for the less mobile. The greenway has been designed for people of all abilities and as a campaign group, we have always stressed that it must be for everyone without exception.

Being a former railway, the gradient will be extremely close to flat for its entire length.

Electric and semi-electric vehicles...without being in a position of authority, I can't say for certain they'll be allowed but I'm guessing if they have a low top-speed (which makes them no different from a cyclist), it will be ok.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I looked for any mention of "electric bikes" in relation to Great Western Greenway (42 kms).

And every bicycle rental centre in the vicinity have them in offer:
    We hire bikes that are ideally suited to the surface of the greenway aswell as our top of the range premium Kalkhoff Electric Bikes
    This time Dave organised 8 electric bikes for our group
    We were driven to Mulrany and given lots of useful advice and instruction on how to use the electric bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated ;)

Some amazing photos of the progress near Clonea, kindly posted on our Facebook page by Patrick Kenealy...enjoy :)

12729067_10153939173003390_3292453455608710928_n.jpg?oh=189dbc5681c9db8876bd63040437ecd3&oe=57565B85

12743998_10153939170253390_4539596790690133380_n.jpg?oh=b26c884e10f6e63c3998ad62c580b41f&oe=575272C9

12733446_10153939169553390_4890315354106726313_n.jpg?oh=19b639fc0f60ceec1a317a83a0748f5a&oe=575A1E39

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

There starting to clear off the railway line from Ferrybank to New Ross again, have they plans to make a start on this section I wonder? hope so!!!

royrogers wrote: »
    There starting to clear off the railway line from Ferrybank to New Ross again, have they plans to make a start on this section I wonder? hope so!!!

This is great news, not aware if its gone to planning or not, they might be clearing it to put together a Part VIII planning notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I cannot wait for this to open. I'll be down in a flash

royrogers wrote: »

tried to walk it last year, failed but walked back to waterford via the country roads. lovely scenery. i think i ll be trying this again then. thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is there a dedicated website set up for this yet? (not facebook)

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there a dedicated website set up for this yet? (not facebook)

http://www.deisegreenway.com

in deisegreenway's signature there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When this is completed I'll have to give it go (have to buy a bike first though!)

Advertisement