Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrap metal prices (old thread)

• 22-10-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have been doing scrap metal for a few years now mostly as a hobby i am electrician full time as anyone that's into scrap knows prices have dropped quiet considerably over the last few months im starting this thread so people can put up the latest prices of any scrap yard they visit may be a help to scrappers like myself to get the best prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My brother scrapped a '98 Avensis and got €70 for it. I don't know if that info is useful to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smiggy

Yea I think it's about €80 a ton for cars at the min prob less now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i blame Irish water for the drop in metal prices,and that damm goverment
    (in there first:D)

Gone down to €50 per ton for cars

€40 for vw polo in Hammond lane

• Advertisement

50 euro a ton a week ago 20 euro a ton today
    Galway metal paying 10 euro a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

smiggy wrote: »
    Galway metal paying 10 euro a ton

It's been a long time since I scrapped a car, at €10 a ton, does that mean it's now costing a person money to scrap a car with the tyre disposal charges etc?

Sounds like we'll be seeing a large increase in cars for sale online for parts, if you sell one part for €10 you're making more!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

What the fork? Last scrapped a car at about 90-100yoyo per ton.
    €10 per ton sounds crazy, who would scrap a car at that rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I have 2 cars that need to be scrapped. I live out in the country side so who ever collects em would have to factor in that cost. Anyways your man would not collect them, said it would cost to much to do. Thought this was odd as last year he collected a scrapped/striped car for me no problem. Did a bit of research and as described above the scrap metal cost is peanuts thies days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I have 2 cars that need to be scrapped. I live out in the country side so who ever collects em would have to factor in that cost. Anyways your man would not collect them, said it would cost to much to do. Thought this was odd as last year he collected a scrapped/striped car for me no problem. Did a bit of research and as described above the scrap metal cost is peanuts thies days.

what have you got and rough location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Buffman wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I scrapped a car, at €10 a ton, does that mean it's now costing a person money to scrap a car with the tyre disposal charges etc?

Sounds like we'll be seeing a large increase in cars for sale online for parts, if you sell one part for €10 you're making more!

Yep, commodity prices have collapsed altogether.
    One of the world's largest mining companies, Anglo American is on the brink of collapse due to it.

On the bright side, the days of getting free cars might be coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

More likely the bad old days of cars being abandoned all over the countryside minus their plates might be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

More likely the bad old days of cars being abandoned all over the countryside minus their plates might be coming back.

surely the owners could be traced from the vin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I remember back in the late Nineties or early Noughties we seemed to have a period of cars being dumped all over the shop - mostly on the side of roads.
    AFAIR, some of the Local Authorities were having to spend a fortune out of their budgets lifting them and sending them for EOLV disposal.

I remember thinking at the time, why aren't they tracing the registered owners from the VIN?, but whether it was a case that they were swamped by the number of vehicles/ couldn't be arsed/ or the RO's were claiming they had "sold" the vehicle........ I don't think many were ever prosecuted.

And then things got boomier, and it just died out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭traco

anybody know what they are paying for clean cast alumimium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

at least there will be less cars taken illegally and weight in for scrap at one stage u were getting over hundred euro for a car not bad if u wer getting ten a week

Does anyone have any up to date prices? Has it reached the stage where a scrap car is worth nothing and you'll have to pay them to take it?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

Buffman wrote: »
    Does anyone have any up to date prices? Has it reached the stage where a scrap car is worth nothing and you'll have to pay them to take it?

we had a small garage back in the day, 40 lids for the guy to come and take a load, that is five cars, things got better and they took them for free

flutered wrote: »
    things got better and they took them for free

Ye, hopefully we won't see an increase of abondoned cars along roads and in ditches with no number plates/VINs if people have to start paying money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you cannot sell car and just want rid you can contact your local council.

This is from Fingal, but you need to get car to them (or they will charge yu for transport).
    There are 3 authorised treatment facilities in the Fingal area where you can bring your old car for recycling free of charge.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/vehicle-disposal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Seen a lad posting on another forum that he got €15 for a complete mk1 Ford Focus recently and €7 for a stripped out Corolla shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sirrah

Seen a lad posting on another forum that he got €15 for a complete mk1 Ford Focus recently and €7 for a stripped out Corolla shell.

That's mad, I reckon there's a plan with all these scrap guys to give out as little as possible for scrap & they're making a killing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

sirrah wrote: »
    That's mad, I reckon there's a plan with all these scrap guys to give out as little as possible for scrap & they're making a killing???

Nope - metal is a commodity and prices for same are nearly exclusively dependent on the Chinese who saw a substantial slump in their trading figures at the latter half of last year.

You will notice the scrapyards stocks and metal mountains at the docks grow in height until it can be sold it at a better price.

https://agmetalminer.com/2015/12/14/china-and-metal-prices-dark-2016-outlook/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just for some info, here are some scrap metal prices I received in Newry about 18 months ago, in sterling:

prices_zpsq7quncks.jpg~original

Copper tank was 14kg, £42.00
    'Batteries' was Victorian lead piping, 141kg, £56.40
    Low grade cable was 1950s unstripped electrical wire, 9kg, £4.50

Steel and aluminium is not worth very much at all in low quantities. The moola is in the copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Just for some info, here are some scrap metal prices I received in Newry about 18 months ago, in sterling:

prices_zpsq7quncks.jpg~original

Copper tank was 14kg, £42.00
    'Batteries' was Victorian lead piping, 141kg, £56.40
    Low grade cable was 1950s unstripped electrical wire, 9kg, £4.50

Steel and aluminium is not worth very much at all in low quantities. The moola is in the copper.

John does give the best prices up round Newry. Surprised I haven't bumped into you at this stage :p

Ever some of the other yards, like flemins or beattieland....?

To be honest scrapping isn't my thing at all, had no clue what I was doing when I arrived! Been renovating an old house for some time and had an accumulation of metal, knew it was worth something so held onto it all. Better than throwing it in a skip!

The copper tank surprised me the most, a handful of them in a trailer and you'd be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

To be honest scrapping isn't my thing at all, had no clue what I was doing when I arrived! Been renovating an old house for some time and had an accumulation of metal, knew it was worth something so held onto it all. Better than throwing it in a skip!

The copper tank surprised me the most, a handful of them in a trailer and you'd be laughing.

Brass is surprisingly valuable. Any fittings keep them, they accumulate fast and make good money. Its the thinking mans copper

Its all fun and games until you see someone arriving in with boilers covered in insulation... Which all had to be removed with a hammer....

The worst were the hoors arriving with sacks and sacks of Christmas lights :mad:

I shudder at the bygone days!

Presumably they get less money for wrapped or insulated metals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Wow, £3000 per ton of copper?

No wonder a certain minority are stealing electrical cabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Only works if a certain minority buy the goods though.

Advertisement