Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's hard on the guys too Business Cat, I'm sure there's a big element of feeling helpless. The due date is going to be a tough one, maybe try and take a weekend away somewhere nice, and just take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Husband and I have not being TRYING but not not trying over the last few months. Meanwhile we have had to cope with career upheavals and honestly I have been a bit stressed out about it.

Anyway, meanwhile, for the first time in years the cycle is gone loopy. I went to GP last week to get checked out and she told me to go see a gynaecologist straight away. Which I did. Got scanned. And he strongly suspects I have PCOS along with high prolactin levels and one ovary doesnt seem to be working at all.

I am googling away today and I am completely lost now. Dont know where I am. I have struggled a bit with the weight in recent years, in that I am creeping up all the time but when I try to shift some, it doesnt shift at all. Im just over ten stone so not too bad, but at 5.4 Id be better off half a stone lighter. But this low GI/GL diet has me completely baffled. potatoes bad, boiled potatoes good... rice bad... basmati rice good. Pears good, melons bad. It is baffling!

So, thats where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Emmal14

fits wrote: »
    Husband and I have not being TRYING but not not trying over the last few months. Meanwhile we have had to cope with career upheavals and honestly I have been a bit stressed out about it.

Anyway, meanwhile, for the first time in years the cycle is gone loopy. I went to GP last week to get checked out and she told me to go see a gynaecologist straight away. Which I did. Got scanned. And he strongly suspects I have PCOS along with high prolactin levels and one ovary doesnt seem to be working at all.

I am googling away today and I am completely lost now. Dont know where I am. I have struggled a bit with the weight in recent years, in that I am creeping up all the time but when I try to shift some, it doesnt shift at all. Im just over ten stone so not too bad, but at 5.4 Id be better off half a stone lighter. But this low GI/GL diet has me completely baffled. potatoes bad, boiled potatoes good... rice bad... basmati rice good. Pears good, melons bad. It is baffling!

So, thats where I am.

How did you get in to a gynae straight away do u mind me asking? Ive had to wait 3 months til march 29th to get one. Also for suspected pcos

I just phoned up and made an appointment? I am a private patient.

I just phoned up and made an appointment? I am a private patient.

Fair enough! Yep I got referred by my gp to dr sharon moss in the beacon in dec and the first appt I could get was the 29th of march. This is going private too. Hmm!

• Advertisement

End of March is no distance away really. Different consultants might have different waiting times too, and longer waiting times probably isnt a bad sign. I have to go back in two weeks anyway. They took more blood tests so checking the results of those before deciding if/how to proceed. I am going to try shift a bit of weight in the meantime.

End of March is no distance away really. Different consultants might have different waiting times too, and longer waiting times probably isnt a bad sign. I have to go back in two weeks anyway. They took more blood tests so checking the results of those before deciding if/how to proceed. I am going to try shift a bit of weight in the meantime.

Ye true! Im trying to shift some weight myself pre emptively! Im just imagining worst case scenarios in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭LCD

But this low GI/GL diet has me completely baffled. potatoes bad, boiled potatoes good... rice bad... basmati rice good. Pears good, melons bad. It is baffling!

So, thats where I am.

Hey Fits. I have worked in sports nutrition industry & competed in endurance sports for years. Also have a degree & bachelors in food science.

When it comes to dieting advice, there is so much out there it is baffling. The one thing to remember is people cannot sell common sense. That's why they (health food industry) are always looking for an angle, something to convince you that any unwanted weight can be shed easily because of X, Y & Z foods being evil. Recently everyone is gluten free, also dairy is getting a bad wrap & eggs go in & out of fashion at a rate of knots.

My advice make sure 80-90% of your diet is real food, real meat, fish, vegetables & fruit, brown rice & pasta. If you pick up something & don't understand the ingredients try to avoid it. Cook your own food as much as possible. Try to cut down the sugar. The other 10-20% enjoy your life, if you are stressed about TTC adding diet as another stress won't help.

Exercise, just move more. Take the stairs, park further from the door at work, get off the bus 1 stop earlier. Buy a bike & cycle to the shops.

The more you try to complicate your diet & exercise, the more difficult it is. People who write books about crazy diets & looking good are typically models. It is there job to look good!

My diet is already very good food cooked from scratch. Honestly. We eat really well but the weight is still creeping up.

Also, I would like to point out, far from being a faddy diet, that low GI/GL diets are an important management tool for insulin resistance and diabetes. Lots of scientific literature out there about it. But since you are a nutritionist, you probably know that.

Admittedly, I am jumping the gun a little as have not received definite diagnosis yet, but it does add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Fits I know you from the 2015 brides thread, I've seen your wedding photos. Re you being overweight.... would you g'way outta that !!! You're no more overweight.....!!

Sorry to hear about the possible PCOS diagnosis. But lots of people with it still manage to conceive so fingers x'd.
    I thought you were abroad by the way, did you come home? Best of luck with the TTC xx

Lucuma wrote: »
    Fits I know you from the 2015 brides thread, I've seen your wedding photos. Re you being overweight.... would you g'way outta that !!! You're no more overweight.....!!

Sorry to hear about the possible PCOS diagnosis. But lots of people with it still manage to conceive so fingers x'd.
    I thought you were abroad by the way, did you come home? Best of luck with the TTC xx

Ah I know Im not overweight really. But Im at the high end of normal BMI and I just think losing a bit might help. Yep Im still working abroad a lot, which doesn't help either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭LCD

Also, I would like to point out, far from being a faddy diet, that low GI/GL diets are an important management tool for insulin resistance and diabetes. Lots of scientific literature out there about it. But since you are a nutritionist, you probably know that.

Admittedly, I am jumping the gun a little as have not received definite diagnosis yet, but it does add up.

Not a nutritionist, just advice from years of working & coaching. While I seldom dispute the science behind a lot of diets, I just find for most people they are too complicated too stick with in the long term. You said yourself you find it all a bit baffling & you`ve obviously done plenty of research. I have found that people achieve most success with a simple straight forward approach. I always like the old acronym KISS Keep It Simple, Stupid :-)

World's greatest diet is no good if a person can't stick to it.

Well my little trip to the gynaecologist on Monday has set me back almost 500 quid! Just got a surprise invoice in the post after thinking I had settled up for everything on Monday.

Invoice was for a complete hormonal profile and a separate prolactin test.

crikey.

Well my little trip to the gynaecologist on Monday has set me back almost 500 quid! Just got a surprise invoice in the post after thinking I had settled up for everything on Monday.

Invoice was for a complete hormonal profile and a separate prolactin test.

crikey.

Can you get anything back on your health insurance?

Can you get anything back on your health insurance?

I am trying to find out. A lot of policies say fertility treatment not covered. but since I presented for irregular cycles rather than fertility treatment.. I just don't know!

I am trying to find out. A lot of policies say fertility treatment not covered. but since I presented for irregular cycles rather than fertility treatment.. I just don't know!

Get the gynae to put the receipts as being for irregular cycles or gynaecological problems etc, don't mention fertility.
    Don't tell the insurance it's fertility and you should be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Have had to put the baby making plans on hold due to having travelled to a zika affected region less than 6 months ago. Doctor can't give much advice other than to wait at least six months but said that's just guessing really as there isn't enough information. The first pregnancy we lost in December would have been barely out of the 28 day period since our return, would be extremely worrying times now if we were still pregnant. Turns out to have been poor timing to visit South America however we had no idea of the risk until January

They are thinking now it might not be Zika as the anencephaly is only occurring in Brazil. Some sources are saying its a pesticide put in water to attack mosquitoe larvae. I am not sure how reliable those reports are but I am sure more reliable information will emerge in the coming weeks.

Get the gynae to put the receipts as being for irregular cycles or gynaecological problems etc, don't mention fertility.
    Don't tell the insurance it's fertility and you should be covered.

What happened is that I attended one clinic (womans health) and bloods were taken in another (fertility). So that's what happened. I should be able to claim it on my insurance after all. (phew!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

How are ye all keeping ladies? Any more good news on here yet? I'm only two months in and frustrated already can't believe the person I have turned into!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

greenttc wrote: »
    do you mind me asking what percent you had in your morphology when it was at its worst? I have read about people with 3% and 2% and they really were able to turn things around (raising up to 4% plus) but it is harder to find examples of significant improvement from 1%.

my husband doesnt smoke or take drugs and is very fit and has a reasonable diet but he binge drinks, we might not drink for weeks but every month or so there is an occasion where we go all out!

I wonder will quitting the drink and supplements be enough. I suppose I am asking did you lead a somewhat unhealthy lifestyle before cleaning it up or were you similar to my husband.

Sorry if I am asking too many questions!!! I am just looking for glimmers of hope from somewhere! thank you so much for sharing!
    I can't remember 100% at this stage, but it was low enough that conceiving would be very difficult, and it moved to normal range from that.
    Just de-stress yerselves and live as clean as ye can - what's going to happen will happen regardless of stress so don't fret. Take a deep breath and let the stress go when you exhale :-)
    Have a great week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've been tracking my cycles for months now, and we officially started TTC this month. I was due to ovulate on sunday 14th/mon 15th so we DTD in the days running up to that. Period is due sunday 28th/mon 29th.

Yesterday, sunday 21st, I had a very small amount of brown blood/discharge. I'm wondering (hoping?) whether that might have been implantation bleeding? 6-7 days after ovulating. Haven't had this before.

Eager to see if we have anything to be celebrating in time for mother's day! I know it's only month one, and my parents took 8 years to start a family themselves, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

Hi Catrionanic,
    I'm pretty much the same as you. This is our first month of TTC. Did the Ovulation Tests to see when I was ovulating and did the deed on the days leading up to Ovulation and the day of. I noticed a brownish discharge Thursday last week and had a red discharge on Sunday morning (sorry if TMI!). My period is due Wednesday of this week. This two week wait is awful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

apple26 wrote: »
    Hi Catrionanic,
    I'm pretty much the same as you. This is our first month of TTC. Did the Ovulation Tests to see when I was ovulating and did the deed on the days leading up to Ovulation and the day of. I noticed a brownish discharge Thursday last week and had a red discharge on Sunday morning (sorry if TMI!). My period is due Wednesday of this week. This two week wait is awful!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated! It's all I've been thinking about today.... Dunno how I'm gonna wait another 6 days til my period is due !

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It'd be lovely to get some good news in time for Mothers Day! I'm still waiting to ovulate, dunno what's going on with my cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Scousemouse83

Hey ladies, delighted to see this thread this is our first month ttc. Just had my contraception removed so presuming it will take a while to regulate although regulation was never really my bodies strong suit!! Great thread as we are not telling anyone we are trying so great to talk to others in the same situation! Good luck to all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

One month post Mirena removal... nothing going on down below at all
    Not in a rush or anything but would sort of like to get the oul cycle back... presuming it will reappear on the most inconvenient day it can...

Have you got a wedding or family gathering coming up soon? It'll probably arrive in the middle of that! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mmooney1983

Toots wrote: »
    Have you got a wedding or family gathering coming up soon? It'll probably arrive in the middle of that! :pac:

Yep, wedding in June!

Advertisement