Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I did. My curiosity got the better of me. I don't think you'd be mean enough to drop a spoiler.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Apparently, Esslemont has a new prequel trilogy on the way as well. Book one looks like it's getting released at the end of next month.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone think the ending was a bit of a let-down? I had to read the wiki today to remind myself of hat even happened.

Would people mind using spoiler tags?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finished DoD yesterday, finally on to tCG. DoD was another emotionally draining experience, but there were some awesome fist pump moments in there too!
    Strangers, you bring pain. You bring suffering. You bring to so many dreams the dust of death.
    But, strangers, I am Icarium.
    And I bring far worse.

• Advertisement

Finished DoD yesterday, finally on to tCG. DoD was another emotionally draining experience, but there were some awesome fist pump moments in there too!
    Strangers, you bring pain. You bring suffering. You bring to so many dreams the dust of death.
    But, strangers, I am Icarium.
    And I bring far worse.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Apparently, Esslemont has a new prequel trilogy on the way as well. Book one looks like it's getting released at the end of next month.

Synopsis sounds quite interesting. Will buy this when it comes out later in the month and should keep me occupied until Fall of Light comes out.

I finally finished it :(

keane2097 wrote: »
    I finally finished it :(

Good man!

I'm about halfway through Return of the Crimson Guard. Surprisingly enjoyable though Esslemont is no Erikson.

H. H. Asquith

Thought I would feel more bereft after it but it's wrapped up well. Also thought I would have no interest in getting into the Esselmont books or Erikson's others for a while but actually do fancy giving them a spin.

• Advertisement

Thought I would feel more bereft after it but it's wrapped up well. Also thought I would have no interest in getting into the Esselmont books or Erikson's others for a while but actually do fancy giving them a spin.

I'm reading them in tandem with Erikson's work. I take it you just stuck to the main series.

H. H. Asquith

I'm reading them in tandem with Erikson's work. I take it you just stuck to the main series.

I did indeed.

I did indeed.

Fair enough. As I mentioned before, Esslemont has a new prequel trilogy on the way while Erikson is two-thirds of the way through his.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Fair enough. As I mentioned before, Esslemont has a new prequel trilogy on the way while Erikson is two-thirds of the way through his.

I was pretty disappointed with Assail. I think he does a good job of world building, but is poor in delivering a coherent, eventful plot. I'm still not sure what was going on with Osserc at the end of Blood and Bone for example.
    What's the thinking on the ending of Assail and the appearance of a certain one-armed Tiste?

Finished Return of the Crimson Guard a... good while ago now. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Onto Toll the Hounds!

H. H. Asquith

Dancer's Lament and Fall of Light arrived last week - waiting to finish other books before I start. Anyone read these yet and if so, any good?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Dancer's Lament and Fall of Light arrived last week - waiting to finish other books before I start. Anyone read these yet and if so, any good?
    I've read Dancer's Lament and really enjoyed it. Probably Esslemont's best work - good pace and he's working with some great characters.

I have "Fall of Light" but haven't tackled it yet - it's going to be much heavier and Erikson has said he's going for a storytelling method like that of a historian.

Also waiting on the next Bauchelain and Korbal novella - order's placed there.

Why must the paperback versions lag so far behind? Having to walk by all the books I want to read on the shelf, very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lunger

Dancer's Lament is solid but Esslemont still hasn't quite shaken his habit of writing like he's transcribing game sessions. I'm about halfway through Fall of Light and there's been a bunch of *jaw drops* so far.

Lunger wrote: »
    Dancer's Lament is solid but Esslemont still hasn't quite shaken his habit of writing like he's transcribing game sessions. I'm about halfway through Fall of Light and there's been a bunch of *jaw drops* so far.

Ye I found that too with Esslemont, tends to bring in lots of big characters, then proceeds to do nothing with them.

Looking forward to fall of light.

• Advertisement

Ye I found that too with Esslemont, tends to bring in lots of big characters, then proceeds to do nothing with them.

Looking forward to fall of light.

looking at you Osseric ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lunger

I finished Fall of Light the other day and, honestly, I'm still not sure what I read but in a good way. I think it does suffer from some obvious editing - Scara Bandaris is barely in it and thinks of himself as Scabandari (no idea why) and I really could have done with more about the War on Death but, then, I'm a sucker for Jaghut. It also suffers from a bit too much reference to other things (e.g. a throwaway mention of what seems to be Moon's Spawn for some reason) when I would have preferred a tighter focus on the Tiste civil war and more of the Deniers. Not to mention quite a lot of talk about civilizations, which appears to be foreshadowing for the next trilogy.

All in all, it left me looking really, really forward to Walk in Shadow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lunger wrote: »
    I finished Fall of Light the other day and, honestly, I'm still not sure what I read but in a good way.
    Reading this currently and enjoying it but it's quite heavy going. Each chapter so far (on Chapter 6) has just visited new characters.
    As you say, it's heavy on the mystery so far - some bits are very intriguing..

Toll the Hounds started. Interesting start is all I'll say so far!!

H. H. Asquith

Randomly going over Gardens of the Moon. Think I seriously need to reread it. It's like I've never read it at all!!

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

im nearly finished Forge of Darkness. The only other non-book of the fallen one i read is Knight of Knives, should i just go straight into Fall of Light or check our something else (according to the wiki theres bits and pieces i miss info wise that come from other books)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Randomly going over Gardens of the Moon. Think I seriously need to reread it. It's like I've never read it at all!!

I felt like that while I was actually reading it.

I'm about halfway through Toll the Hounds. Very slow paced. Hoping it picks up soon.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm about halfway through Toll the Hounds. Very slow paced. Hoping it picks up soon.
    It does. Just keep reading.

• Advertisement

Fall of Light finally arrived. Enjoying it so far, he teases so much with reference to things in the past that I want to know about. Maddening sometimes.

Agree on Dancer's Lament. Esslemont is definitely improving as an author. I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

Advertisement