Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY eJuice thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Another quick question: On cheesecake flavourings. Is there any need for both Cheesecake, and cheesecake graham cracker? for doing up some strawberry/banana cheesecake mixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Watching some vid's on DIY today, and came across a few 'tubers who mix up batches using just one flavouring. I wonder how many of you do this? Like igetcha69 has a vid up today of his 5 favourite juices, and one is simply his own DIY juice using just Capella' lemon meringue pie @15%. Which is something I would probably love!

Some of the recipes I've come across are very complex, with up to 9 flavourings! :O Maybe keeping it simple is the best way to go when starting out? What moleyv just posted there, for the cheesecake, sounds nice, simple, and tasty!

TFA Fruit Circles at about 12% If I remember is great,sweet and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Another quick question: On cheesecake flavourings. Is there any need for both Cheesecake, and cheesecake graham cracker? for doing up some strawberry/banana cheesecake mixes

Don't think there is really.

This is a cheesecake mix I've done that was quite nice:

TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust - 4%
    TFA Raspberry - 2%
    TFA Sweet Cream - 1.5%
    FA Vanilla Bourbon - 1%
    Ethyl Maltol (@10%) - .5%

I did try uping the Graham but it seemed to get more spicy.

Ongoing WIP (like everything)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

moleyv wrote: »
    Neither is going to be completely accurate. To be fair I really wouldn't assume all PG and VG will be the same weight.

For some of them they say their purity, 97% pure etc. So 3% possibly different. And flavour doesn't just appear inside 100% PG, it has its own weight and volume.

All manufacturers should release specific weights per quantity etc.

The reality is, if its for our own use it doesn't need to be so accurate.

I made some strawberry cheesecake, tastes great even after 1 day. 6% cheesecake graham crust TFA and ripe strawberry TFA 10%.
    The purity is on the side of the bottles. If they're food grade they're 99%+. Not sure what the 3% is if it's 97 (probably water) but you can just recalculate.

TFA have published GCMS data for the majority of their flavours and give compounds within specific ranges.

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx

I think you'd be hard pushed to get any manufacturer to give you any more details but I still think even using those crude estimates you'll be fairly accurate.

Strawberry Ripe has to be one of the top flavours there is honestly. I'm waiting on chefs-vapour to restock some of their customers so I can get 100mls at a time. 10 pounds per 100ml is just nuts and free UK shipping when you spend 30!

@8mm, how do you stomach that TFA Raspberry? It's one of those ultra strong flavours without any real taste to me. Maybe letting it breath for a while or what? I love FlavorArt's one but TFA's is just vile to me

8mm wrote: »
    Don't think there is really.

This is a cheesecake mix I've done that was quite nice:

TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust - 4%
    TFA Raspberry - 2%
    TFA Sweet Cream - 1.5%
    FA Vanilla Bourbon - 1%
    Ethyl Maltol (@10%) - .5%

I did try uping the Graham but it seemed to get more spicy.

Ongoing WIP (like everything)

Maybe that's it, for recipes where they want a stronger cheesecake, they use a little of both. It was a clone of Beard vape's 05 that I saw both used in, and another for a strawberry banana cheesecake. Then I see others that use just the graham cracker cheese cake and bavarian cream.

On the banana side, some recipes have 10% banana, and I imagine, and seen others say, that banana can be very overpowering towards other flavourings. They don't specify what banana they use at times. I will be trying the flavour art one as suggested on here. Which is supposedly not bad, but very strong. When I see 10% banana, i should probably half that huh?

One more quickie: Is the VG that you get in the likes of boots good for vaping? I read somewhere that it is, but might need some diluting with distilled water? Just for future reference, if I decide to buy a bottle of stronger nic base

• Advertisement

I try and use the least amount of flavour I can. I use a dripper which seems to help get the most out of my mixes - use tanks for out and about.

Start low with flavour - you can always add more and see how it goes. Try a single flavour out on it's own to gauge it's effect. Sometimes using more of a flavour can actually mute it or make it spicy tasting. Some flavours when combined will produce a different flavour that tastes nothing like the individual flavours.

Not tried any banana yet, must get some of FA's version next order.

Boot's VG should be fine. I use 100% VG put I mix with PG and the flavours and NIC are also based in PG so the resulting mix is viscous enough. I've not really gone higher then 60/40 VG/PG mix, if your going higher you might need some distilled water but I'd say be careful with water as I experimented with it and could taste "water" in my mix, interestingly the water added a mouth wetness effect.

I try and use the least amount of flavour I can. I use a dripper which seems to help get the most out of my mixes - use tanks for out and about.

Start low with flavour - you can always add more and see how it goes. Try a single flavour out on it's own to gauge it's effect. Sometimes using more of a flavour can actually mute it or make it spicy tasting. Some flavours when combined will produce a different flavour that tastes nothing like the individual flavours.

Not tried any banana yet, must get some of FA's version next order.

Boot's VG should be fine. I use 100% VG put I mix with PG and the flavours and NIC are also based in PG so the resulting mix is viscous enough. I've not really gone higher then 60/40 VG/PG mix, if your going higher you might need some distilled water but I'd say be careful with water as I experimented with it and could taste "water" in my mix, interestingly the water added a mouth wetness effect.

I was just thinking it would be good back up VG if you ever run out :) it's cheap as chips too. I wonder if pharmacists have a limit on how much of the stuff you can buy? as they count it as a medicine.

I would only need that if I buy a strong nic mix to begin with, but for starters I might just buy a VG pre mixed base, because I'm not bothered with separate PG. I'll only want the PG from the flavorings. I like 70+ VG in general.

Sure VG and PG is used for all sorts of stuff from food to cosmetics. There's no end to it's uses and it's super cheap to produce. Great for us lot and if you can get your NIC down to near nothing it's just a bit of flavoured air - the powers that be can put that in their collective pipe and put it up their..... now now 8mm calm down.

Anyone got a code for Pick'n mix DIY site? Thinking I may as well get all my starter stuff from there

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Anyone got a code for Pick'n mix DIY site? Thinking I may as well get all my starter stuff from there

Try "pick10" for 10% off. Used to work anyway. Haven't ordered from there for a while

• Advertisement

bd2012 wrote: »
    Try "pick10" for 10% off. Used to work anyway. Haven't ordered from there for a while

Nice one cheers, still works.

picknmix had 25% off a month ago, I went nuts and bought a tonne of concetrates. Love those lads but chefsvapour.co.uk are way way cheaper.

Do anyone ever be in contact with them? They never seem to restock stuff. Their 100ml concentrate bottles are only 10 pounds. Starting to think it would be a good idea for a few of us to go in on a bunch of concentrates. You're talking €1.28 per 10ml vs. €3 for TFA stuff. Or maybe even just for trades. It's mad having a box full of different stuff and I always find myself wanting more!

chefsvapour restocked! Cannot live without TFA Strawberry Ripe or TFA Vanilla Custard!

chipfox wrote: »
    Cannot live without TFA Strawberry Ripe or TFA Vanilla Custard!

Have you gotten a handle on using Strawberry then? How much are you using in a mix.

My only issue with getting big amounts of flavour is that they will age before using it all but that price/amount sure looks tempting.

The chefsvapor stuff is only a little cheaper than pick'n'mix, if you factor in postage costs. €2.56 per 10 ml, where on p'n'm it's 2.99, guessing you'd get it quicker from p'n'm too?

Have you gotten a handle on using Strawberry then? How much are you using in a mix.

My only issue with getting big amounts of flavour is that they will age before using it all but that price/amount sure looks tempting.
    I use 10-15% depending on what I want. Probably need 15% of Strawberry Ripe for that lovely taste. Tried FA and CAP's strawberry but they're very sweet. Think they add a lot of EM.

I'd have no issues with the shelf life of 100ml at the rate I use it. Wouldn't get 100ml of many concentrates though. I'm getting 30ml of Vanilla Custard only; same for Cinnamon Danish swirl. 10ml is perfect for getting the feel for it or to see if you like it but I mean i'd go through that much Strawberry Ripe is 2 weeks. Couldn't be arsed paying 3 euro + P&P each time.

If it's bulk for all day vape stuff I'd say you'd be surprised how fast you could go through it anyway.

The chefsvapor stuff is only a little cheaper than pick'n'mix, if you factor in postage costs. €2.56 per 10 ml, where on p'n'm it's 2.99, guessing you'd get it quicker from p'n'm too?
    It's free UK postage over £30 so I'll use parcel motel. Way cheaper than buying 10ml of a juice every 2 weeks and paying full postage on that. Only buying bulk for flavours I could vape every day though.

I'll be just grabbing some 10ml to sstart out, get to know the flavors. But I do like the idea of big bottles of ones you'd use a lot. Like VC, strawberry, graham cracker maybe [I plan to try many cheesecakes]

I'm a bit stupid for not getting any cheesecake concentrates, it's in all the big recipes. I think there's a Cheesecake / Graham Cracker concentrate that might be the best of both worlds but I couldn't say. Only have regular GC, the stuff is seriously dark brown. 3% makes

Definitely wouldn't buy 100ml of concentrate of a juice you weren't sure about. Could end up wasted. I got every concentrate I own from p'n'm so far, no problems with them at all. I just find them too expensive for large amounts.

This is seriously one of the best hobbies if you're into it. So much cheaper than buying from shops too. Making up 30ml bottles of my favourite stuff in two minutes for a euro vs. driving to some rip of place and paying €15. Everybody needs to DIY

€15 would be actually reasonable for some juices, but when I see 30ml juices go for €23 it winds me up. I don't care how nice they are, that's a luxury!

I'm really looking forward to giving it a go, don't know why I haven't tried it before tbh

Just shows how out of touch I am with buying juices from shops... Hope you get on well. I found doing it by weight wasn't as accurate as I hope and have to weigh 1ml of each concentrate. I'll be doing it anyway but a bit of extra work. Should work out in the end though.

I think I ordered too much nicotine. Just got my 500ml 72mg stuff from everythingliquid and I just realised I've used maybe 60ml of 50mg juice since December. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Just shows how out of touch I am with buying juices from shops... Hope you get on well. I found doing it by weight wasn't as accurate as I hope and have to weigh 1ml of each concentrate. I'll be doing it anyway but a bit of extra work. Should work out in the end though.

I think I ordered too much nicotine. Just got my 500ml 72mg stuff from everythingliquid and I just realised I've used maybe 60ml of 50mg juice since December. Oops!

Most of us use 1ml = 1g for pg based concentrates but if you want specific gravity weights I came across these on the ELR forum.

TFA
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2ilp6h/heres_a_list_i_compiled_of_all_tfa_flavors_and/

Cap
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2kqwow/list_of_capella_flavors_and_their_weight/

FA
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2jh5cl/byweight_mixers_i_got_some_densities_from/

There is a way to enable specific gravity weights on the ELR juice calculator, you should find it in this thread.

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/just-a-plug-to-begin-mixing-by-weight/46/16

• Advertisement

I'm considering getting the 2.5 litre amount they sell. That's a 5+ year supply and a TPD and crazy taxes safety net for me.

I did get 1/2 litre last July and went fulltime DIY from August. Still have over 1/3 of that left and a couple months juice mixed up. I'd say I'm getting a year+ from a 1/2 litre.

How well does it keep though? I've heard mixed things and I'm unsure myself. To me 500ml is a lot... Have you noticed any degradation?

EL's label says my nicotine was made last September and is good for 1 year from then... Not to impressed by that.

How well does it keep though? I've heard mixed things and I'm unsure myself. To me 500ml is a lot... Have you noticed any degradation?

EL's label says my nicotine was made last September and is good for 1 year from then... Not to impressed by that.

I wouldn't worry too much by best before dates - it's all about storage and handling. Lot's of good info on the net and there is a post today in another tread about long term storage in the freezer. I've seen posts from people who have had nic for many years without degradation.

The EL nic I have has just been keep in a dark cupboard and to me it's as good as when I first opened it. I think their nic is top notch.

500ml of nic:eek: Wow,that is a lot,you might be better off to break it down into 100ml bottles and store what your not using in a freezer if possible.
    There are a couple of posts on storing nic in the TPD thread,might be worth a read.

Nicotine storage is in it's own thread now.

Also from a safety point be very careful handling that amount and strength of liquid nicotine especially if children are in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Folks, I've been thinking of dipping my toe into diy stuff myself. When I was smoking I'd spend €70-€80 a week on cigarettes. I started vaping for my health but also to save a few quid. Now I'm spending around €22 on a 30ml bottle of juice, and im doing that twice a week. I'm not actually saving a hell of a lot anymore.

If I was to start making my own juice, how much could I realistically save? A guy I know started making his own recently and he reckons I could make about 20 x 30ml bottles for less than €60.
    Would these figures be accurate or is he way off?

El Guapo! wrote:
    If I was to start making my own juice, how much could I realistically save? A guy I know started making his own recently and he reckons I could make about 20 x 30ml bottles for less than €60. Would these figures be accurate or is he way off?

100 ml base with 3mg nic, €5,couple of 10ml concentrates €6, so 100ml €11. It will be a bit cheaper if you mix your own base and add your own nic. €2-50 for 100ml of pg and vg, about €13 for 50ml of nic.
    Pickandmix and ezsmoke are good sites to start on.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Folks, I've been thinking of dipping my toe into diy stuff myself. When I was smoking I'd spend €70-€80 a week on cigarettes. I started vaping for my health but also to save a few quid. Now I'm spending around €22 on a 30ml bottle of juice, and im doing that twice a week. I'm not actually saving a hell of a lot anymore.

If I was to start making my own juice, how much could I realistically save? A guy I know started making his own recently and he reckons I could make about 20 x 30ml bottles for less than €60.

Sounds about right. Did a costing of it myself ages ago and it worked out at just under 10cent per ml. Can be done cheaper too by shopping around/ buying in bulk etc

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »

I'm in a similar boat, but I go through 30ml even quicker, and there's 2 of us vaping here. So I'm going to start some DIY next week. So far, in my checkout on Pick'n'mix, I'm at €80, but that will get me enough flavors, base, syringes and bottles to keep going for a bit. I'll have enough to make about 450ml+ of juice to start [the flavours are going to take up between 15-20% so I'll have leftovers from 400ml] That sounds good to me, even if I mess some up.

http://picknmixdiy.com/index.php?route=common/home

What I'm doing is buying 4x 100ml of their pre-mix VG/nic base @6mg, the flavors I want [planning to make up some strawberry and banana cheesecake, a claim your throne clone, and a kind of Beard vape 05 clone] - bout 100ml of each, then I'll experiment with whatever I have left over. Along with some syringes and 100ml and 50ml bottles.

I'm not going to get the stronger nic bases for now, just want to see how I get on with this lot first :)

My second order will be cheaper, because I won't need as many flavors, needles, bottles etc ...

Advertisement