Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Mechanic

• 26-01-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

Hello back again jes tis been a while but the wagen is down again and ive been a bit left down by the mechanic..

Any progress on a decant mechanic based in Cork City or well close for a VW beetle.. Could be looking into getting her completely done up but at the moment I need to get her started.

Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello back again jes tis been a while but the wagen is down again and ive been a bit left down by the mechanic..

Any progress on a decant mechanic based in Cork City or well close for a VW beetle.. Could be looking into getting her completely done up but at the moment I need to get her started.

Aiden Buckley on the Old Mallow Rd... On the l/h side about a mile out past 8 Arch Bridge.
    Blackpool Motors on the Commons Rd just beyond the Blackpool Church.
    Sean Hanleys alongside Super Valu by the Lough.
    All three garages would have done a lot of work on these back in the day.
    Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha been burned by Hanleys so not a hope I would go back there, they just like to charge for nothing..

Aiden isn't working on them anymore he stopped a few years ago...

Havent tried blackpool motors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What's up with it? They're incredibly simple cars, and any decent mechanic shouldn't have a problem with one.

So I have heard many a time :) Well at first someone said it was the fuel pump, and that was nearly 2 months ago.. Just need to get her someplace now... I have had my fair share of mechanics who just took advantage so I am fairly cagey about where I bring her..

the lads have been working on her since Christmas and well she is still sitting there since..

So I have heard many a time :) Well at first someone said it was the fuel pump, and that was nearly 2 months ago.. Just need to get her someplace now... I have had my fair share of mechanics who just took advantage so I am fairly cagey about where I bring her..

the lads have been working on her since Christmas and well she is still sitting there since..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 rightofwayed

Kellehers garage on maryborough hill. always use them. knowledgeable and reasonably priced. google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Kellehers garage on maryborough hill. always use them. knowledgeable and reasonably priced. google them.

+1 always found mark reasonable and he learnt his trade around rally cars

Thnaks lads, mm perhaps just thinking how would i get her up there. I would'nt fancy her stopping on the hill haha.. Himself is out working with her at the moment and well see where we get.. Ill be back

I cant place this chap at all. he isnt the fella up the top of the hill in beyond the wooden fence.. There is like a left and a right when you go in and his down the left an English chap...

News Update - still don't know what is up with her..Anywho tried kellehers on Sat but the number just kept ringing out so not sure what the storey is there...

Himself was trying again at the weekend and well something cracked so there is oil everywhere now.. Yeahh eventually thank god the mechanic on Vicrtoria road picked her up. Little dodge as don't have a clue what he is like I know he isn't Joe 90 as I thought, a new chap but fingers crossed his decant.

• Advertisement

News Update - still don't know what is up with her..Anywho tried kellehers on Sat but the number just kept ringing out so not sure what the storey is there...

Himself was trying again at the weekend and well something cracked so there is oil everywhere now.. Yeahh eventually thank god the mechanic on Vicrtoria road picked her up. Little dodge as don't have a clue what he is like I know he isn't Joe 90 as I thought, a new chap but fingers crossed his decant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

maybe the coolant froze....oh no wait.... :-)

Maybe a Haynes manual might be a good investment

If you saw my face now it would tell all.. Very annoyed actually at the amount of people who say stuff like this.

I know you mean well but I have a Haynes manual I have it all and I am sorry I cannot fix the car and have had a nightmare trying to get people to fix her... I have been told to google the problems (hence the car has been sitting there for nearly 3 months), my partner has been given instructions over the phone by the mechanic who would not help anymore to try and fix the car and this didn't work...So if it was as easy as picking up a Haynes manual and googling me thinks it would be going by now...

OMG that is so helpfuIf you saw my face now it would tell all.. Very annoyed actually at the amount of people who say stuff like this.

I know you mean well but I have a Haynes manual I have it all and I am sorry I cannot fix the car and have had a nightmare trying to get people to fix her... I have been told to google the problems (hence the car has been sitting there for nearly 3 months), my partner has been given instructions over the phone by the mechanic who would not help anymore to try and fix the car and this didn't work...So if it was as easy as picking up a Haynes manual and googling me thinks it would be going by now...

What exactly is wrong with it - What is it doing or not doing? You seem to be getting advice from all corners, and even professional help but still have the problem. I can't understand how a beetle could be creating such difficulty. Sorry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What part of Cork are you located.?

Its my beetle that's the problem from the get go she has been hassle..

Ah shes with the mechanic now so hopefully it will be sorted. Problem started after filling it with petrol she died. Hence thinking fuel pump replaced that and she died, cleaned out carburator all that goes and she still does nothing..new battery still the same.

Im in Ballintemple Kadman but as mentioned she is with a mechanic now lets hope he knows what he is doing

Its my beetle that's the problem from the get go she has been hassle..

Ah shes with the mechanic now so hopefully it will be sorted. Problem started after filling it with petrol she died. Hence thinking fuel pump replaced that and she died, cleaned out carburator all that goes and she still does nothing..new battery still the same.

Im in Ballintemple Kadman but as mentioned she is with a mechanic now lets hope he knows what he is doing

Is the partner car mechanic " savvy ".

If it was running, then it must be a small issue. And could be easily walked through on the phone.

Cork is full of beetle owner/drivers who do their own servicing.

If you dont get sorted, i,ll pm my number to you, and talk your partner through the start up check, or direct you to youtube vids on the same.
    kadman

Thanks Kadman but this is how all the problems as such started... I need someone to work on her who knows what they are doing

Thanks Kadman but this is how all the problems as such started... I need someone to work on her who knows what they are doing

I,m working on beetle engines for 45 years, and drive my own cars and campers at the moment.

If your car was running prior to this hiccup, it should be a simple matter to pin point the issue.

Your problem started when you allowed messers to poke at the beetle.:eek:

I know them inside out, as do other owner drivers

But good luck

• Advertisement

Here,s my refs:D

This is how easy these cars start:)

Put €2 in the slot.

Put €2 in the slot.
    :D

Better still, take the engine out, and pop it on the bench, and crank it up.

If you have the right mechanic, it should be running now, hopefully for you:)

Seriously ye are really just peeing me off now.. In both a funny way and a way where I hope all yer bugs break down now and ye cant fix then. Of course I could pop the engine out of the car in the middle of a car park and pop it up there on the side in the dark and manage to get it going d'oh why didn't I just do that...

Don't ya think if it was that easy to get the car running she would have been running and not sitting there for two months... I don't get it everyone says they will help with try looking at videos and as fantastically suggested get a Haynes manuel (I just cant believe I didn't think of that) but when it comes down to it no-one does...

Sorry but comments like that and all that crap is very condescending and not in the slightest bit helpful. Why don't I talk ye all through changing a server over by showing ye some helpful videos and advising on a good manual.

Seriously ye are really just peeing me off now.. In both a funny way and a way where I hope all yer bugs break down now and ye cant fix then. Of course I could pop the engine out of the car in the middle of a car park and pop it up there on the side in the dark and manage to get it going d'oh why didn't I just do that...

Don't ya think if it was that easy to get the car running she would have been running and not sitting there for two months... I don't get it everyone says they will help with try looking at videos and as fantastically suggested get a Haynes manuel (I just cant believe I didn't think of that) but when it comes down to it no-one does...

Sorry but comments like that and all that crap is very condescending and not in the slightest bit helpful. Why don't I talk ye all through changing a server over by showing ye some helpful videos and advising on a good manual.

Sorry Kadman but you knowing beetles inside out does not really help me

I put the vids of my engines up for you to prove I know these engines well enough to pinpoint your
    problem in minutes...........yes minutes.

Your own post on when the problem started, points directly to where the issue is. And now that you have
    a good mechanic on board............it should be fixed within minutes. If not.............you,ve picked the wrong
    mechanic. Sorry for that.........but thats a fact.

Free advice..........
    Your engine relies on two things to run........fuel+ spark. Any mechanic will know that, its not a bug thing.

You pinpoint that the issue started when you filled the car with petrol. Thats where the problem points to.
    Some issue with the fuel delivery from the tank to the carb.

Beetle tanks, especially old tanks, rust inside fairly badly and cause issues at the fuel filters.
    One of the most overlooked filters, is the one beneath the fuel tank. Its a tank out job for easy access.
    Or experienced guy will work it from the wheel arch.

As well as this there may be more filters at the gearbox rear end of the tunnel, and in the engine bay.
    These should also be changed. AS well as flushing the fuel line from front to rear.

Fuel pump also has filter in it, that needs to be checked.
    Quick check for fuel pump working, is to disconnect the pump fuel line to carburretor, and then get a
    helper to quickly crank the starter and see if fuel pops out the line into a smal bottle.

Once this is done, it points to the next step.

So NOW, me knowing beetles does help you, not to forget I offered to go through all this by phone
    for you.

Filling up might not be related at all. You say you replaced the battery too?

What exactly is the problem? It'll turn over on the key/starter but not fire up?

As Kadman says, it just needs fuel and spark - get those two sorted (one at a time) and it will fire. Take it from there.

• Advertisement

Filling up might not be related at all. You say you replaced the battery too?

What exactly is the problem? It'll turn over on the key/starter but not fire up?

As Kadman says, it just needs fuel and spark - get those two sorted (one at a time) and it will fire. Take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement