Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood Buy and Sell Thread

• 03-08-2015 10:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

We have had several threads on this forum enquiring about buying or selling firewood.

It has been suggested that it would sensible to have a single sticky thread where they all could be kept together.

This is that thread.

Notices here are at the discretion of the moderators. This thread is not a licence to advertise. It is for the use of bona fide forum members of good standing.

If we feel posts are going outside it's remit of tidying up what was already going on, then we may remove posts without notice, discussion or appeal.

Basically, 'as you were'..... just amalgamated into one thread. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ph5.5

Hi
    I am looking to buy fire wood. Got on to coillte and they said.

The position with firewood, when we have supply, for softwood, we deliver it in at a cost of €1,400 including VAT and this is for a lorry load, approximately 30m3, a lorry load which we deliver in to your premises provided that your property has sufficient space for entering/offloading and exiting.

Hardwood is sold on a tender system and costs closer to €2,000 per load.

Does any one know how many trees you get in a load.
    What size the trees would be.

Or is there any one around Clonakilty area that would do me a good deal on wood. to bag and sell on.

Thanks
    Pat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

try the lads up in Graingers sawmill in Enniskeane, Kevin Kenneally or Traolach Layton, they are the 2 foresters up there and sell pulp as firewood all the time when they have it, might be worth a call and see. you should be able to get thier numbers off of the website

the size of logs will vary in diameter but will all be moreless 3 meters or 10 feet in length.
    it depends if you get thinning pulp or clearfell pulp, thinning pulp is alot smaller in diameter.

how many trees you get in a load.. how long is a piece of string... depends on the diameter as larger logs need more space but you cant fit as many as small logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We buy a load off coillte every few years. The load for 1,400 is a good bit of timber. Think of the artic lorries you see on the road with 4 bays of timber. Timber wise it's usually around 6 inch to 1 foot diameter round. So yes a lot of timber, which means a lot of sawing and a lot of splitting. I'd advice only attempting it if you had a tractor log splitter or better. It's very labour intensive. You can also buy 1/2 loads from coillte.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hoogle

I would try the forestry owners coop based in west cork, goole focs ie for contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I work for a forestry company and tender out sites for harvesting all the time I could put you in touch with some of the harvesters if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

I would get in touch with a local producer group or forestry management company. The prices offered to you by coilte sound very expensive. Hardwood you tend to only get about 24-6 tonnes of fresh timber per lorry and up to 30 softwood. You can roughly say that one wet tonne of timber equates to 1m3 of firewood but it depends on the size of the block and the timber you are splitting. You should not spend more than €40/t for pulp softwood as that is already above market value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

How much would 6x 4 trailer loads of hardwood sell for ??

Can anyone point me in the right direction for hardwood timber in the South Wexford Wellington Bridge area please?

Irish Wood Producers are a not for profit company run by farmers from KK Wx W Cw and Ls that might be able to put you in touch with someone local to you supplying quality firewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Feckthis wrote: »
    How much would 6x 4 trailer loads of hardwood sell for ??

6 x 4 by ?

• Advertisement

Depends where you get it and what the quality is like but between €50-90 . You can get a 5x8 full to the gills for €110 of seasoned ash or mixed hardwood around KK but location location location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slabofbud

Hi,

I am looking for ash tree's for my Hurley making business, anywhere in Ireland. The ash tree's must be in a wood or a grove, ash tree's on ditches are not suitable for hurley making.

I am looking for the bottom 1.3 m of ash trees for hurley making, diameter between 20-50cm, good clean straight trees. i will also buy the top part for firewood. I am paying top prices for good ash trees.

I have my own insurance and all certs needed for cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

Hi all, can anyone recommend a seller of firewood in the Laois area? Ideally someone who delivers and ideally free delivery!!! Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi I have timber to sell in ballymitty area, county wexford. I am willing to sell a full trailer load of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi I have timber to sell in ballymitty area, county wexford. I am willing to sell a full trailer load of timber.

great! how much? also can you transport it to Laois or would it be for collection?

gambit83 wrote: »
    great! how much? also can you transport it to Laois or would it be for collection?

I'm sure you'll get timber closer to home! No?

gambit83 wrote: »

Hi sorry it would be for collection:) We have too much timber so it would be handy to sell some.

Hi everyone so just to clarify that I have timber (firewood) for sale. 4x8 trailer, 2 foot high fully loaded with timber for €150. I can arrange for the timber to be delivered if you live around, ballymitty/tullycanna/wellington bridge/taghmon areas or even wexford town for convenience but delivery will cost €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Selling timber in Tipperary/kilkenny/laois area. All hardwood.8 x4 trailer €120. Free delivery within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gamer1234

Anyone selling firewood near mayo or willing to deliever to mayo..Looking for an artic load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I work for a forestry company and tender out sites for harvesting all the time I could put you in touch with some of the harvesters if you want

Sorry for the delay in reverting back to lads here. I was under abit of time pressure so got a load from a guy who had a price structure similiar to coillte. To be honest I overpaid and know I did. Will be looking for a load again in the spring but next time will research it properly and hopefully get a bit of value. Thanks for the ideas lads suggested here, tis appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to deal with a harvester, producer group or farmer direct in the Midwest area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I'm Looking for a load or half artic load of 2nd thinnings or clearfell in the tipperary birdhill area.....Cash on delivery

PM for further contact or help on this.

Is it possible to get artic loads of hardwood?!

I'm Looking for a load or half artic load of 2nd thinnings or clearfell in the tipperary birdhill area.....Cash on delivery

I have a site on the tip limerick boarder coming up for second thinnings your looking for pulp ?

Feckthis wrote:
    Is it possible to get artic loads of hardwood?!

Yes they cost about 2 grand

Yes they cost about 2 grand

We're would you get it and Is it worth it?

Feckthis wrote:

Get into contact with foresters doing woodland improvement schemes in your area and get into that side of things , or the Forester cab put you in contact with the contractor

Where are you based ?

Feckthis wrote:

Oh and yes your getting around 28 to 29 tonnes of ash/Oak sycamore, there is a lot of burning in that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Looking for hardwood in the Westport area...Of anyone has any contacts or wood for sale, please PM. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I have a site on the tip limerick boarder coming up for second thinnings your looking for pulp ?

PM sent.

Advertisement