Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I buy a knife online?

• 24-01-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys, I tried looking for a similar thread but I couldn't find any so I thought I'd start one.

My question is :
    Can I legally buy a folding pocket knife online from another country? What would be the consequences? I know you can buy them in camping/fishing shops here so why wouldn't I be able to order one online? I just want to cover my ass before I go order one and have it confiscated or worse.

Any advice will be great, thanks in advance,
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Jack0106 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I tried looking for a similar thread but I couldn't find any so I thought I'd start one.

My question is :
    Can I legally buy a folding pocket knife online from another country? What would be the consequences? I know you can buy them in camping/fishing shops here so why wouldn't I be able to order one online? I just want to cover my ass before I go order one and have it confiscated or worse.

Any advice will be great, thanks in advance,
    Jack

firstly what kind of folders do you have your eyes on and what will you be using them for ? once your not buying flick knives, throwing stars or katanas you should be fine importing or buying locally assuming you use whatever you buy responsibly , :)

i seen a list of banned knives before on this very forum if you do a search it might confirm the illegal stuff to avoid importing and riskng having it seized by customs/an post

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭lostboy75

davycc wrote: »
    i seen a list of banned knives
    This might be the posting you remember, on phone now so not going through it.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056868166
    To simplify the law, in our case it's a bit of an ass. In UK your perfectly entitled to carry a sub three inch, non locking folder. Here, you can't carry any knife without a cause. This is just so vague. It basically up to an guard that stops you to decide if your interperation of why it's necessary for you to have it on your person.

Regardless, the answer you are actually looking for is yes, you can buy a knife online, baring the named illegal. You just may not be legally allowed to carry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Gaurd asked me about my Swiss army soldier
    Said "I suppose you use that for fishing" I said no i use it to fix stuff
    That was sound I think it's an attitude test combined with where you are

Tigger wrote: »
    Gaurd asked me about my Swiss army soldier
    Said "I suppose you use that for fishing" I said no i use it to fix stuff
    That was sound I think it's an attitude test combined with where you are

I agree. I think the same knife on different people might have a very different out come. And it's not the guard that might be different. A bit of cop on, and you will be fine. A knife is one of the most basic tools that exist, and have been carried for millennia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

So good I bought it twice but from different suppliers outside of Ireland.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SVE9WEC?keywords=no%20time%20off%20crkt&qid=1454196110&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

You simply cannot get signature knives here.

• Advertisement

http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/shop/ is a brilliant shop id reccomend if buying something online id check here first .

im waiting on a elk ridge bushcraft knive to be delivered as a valentines day pressie to myself:D

http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/product/backorder-elk-ridge-bushcraft/

they have a ton of genuine tatictal, survival and bushcraft knives

no columbia rivers yet but if you ask they can get anything in for you :D

Browning, buck, cold steel, Colt,
    CRKT.
    Enlan
    Ganzo
    gerber
    Kershaw
    MTech
    rough rider
    sanrenmu
    Spyderco folders all in stock along with tonnes of fixed blades too:cool:

Fyi, Columbia river is CRKT, Columbia River Knife & Tool.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Fyi, Columbia river is CRKT, Columbia River Knife & Tool.

learn something new every day thanks :)

serves me right for speed reading the link:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

lostboy75 wrote: »

Regardless, the answer you are actually looking for is yes, you can buy a knife online, baring the named illegal. You just may not be legally allowed to carry it.

The law is restrictive. I use a Leatherman on an almost daily basis. Due to the law I can't carry it in public places. It has two locking blades of substantial proportions. Both excellent for what I use them for along with most of the other parts on my Surge.

As a result I keep one Leatherman in my daily carry bag in the boot of the vehicle. It resides in an inner pocket. Not in an attempt to conceal it but by way of demonstrating that its not easily accessible in a hurry. The other is generally carried on a work belt that comes out only at home on private land or at a work location.

Forgetting a screwdriver is in a cargo pocket and going down to a shop could potentially see a person in trouble as virtually anything could be classed as an offensive weapon if you put your mind to it. A biro could be thus classified as an offensive weapon as you could inflict damage to a person with one.....

The current laws won't stop a criminal carrying a knife for criminal purposes bit prevents a normal person from carrying a useful tool in everday circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm a middle-aged woman from America who's been living in Ireland almost two years now. For the entire first year I carried a tiny (I mean a blade less than an inch and a half long) knife on my keychain. My Irish husband saw it and almost had kittens. I had no idea you weren't supposed to carry it; I had carried a penknife in my handbag literally since I was ten years old. It was as much a part of my daily kit as my phone, hairbrush, and Kindle. I was always the person who could open boxes, snip strings and tags, and cut knitting yarn. I still reach for it and wonder why I don't have it.

That said, when I shipped all my household goods to Ireland from the US, I had a box that contained about twenty collectors' grade knives and two actual swords, a legacy from my brother who was a collector. I listed it all on the paperwork and none of it was so much as sneezed at in Customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm a middle-aged woman from America who's been living in Ireland almost two years now. For the entire first year I carried a tiny (I mean a blade less than an inch and a half long) knife on my keychain. My Irish husband saw it and almost had kittens. I had no idea you weren't supposed to carry it; I had carried a penknife in my handbag literally since I was ten years old. It was as much a part of my daily kit as my phone, hairbrush, and Kindle. I was always the person who could open boxes, snip strings and tags, and cut knitting yarn. I still reach for it and wonder why I don't have it.

That said, when I shipped all my household goods to Ireland from the US, I had a box that contained about twenty collectors' grade knives and two actual swords, a legacy from my brother who was a collector. I listed it all on the paperwork and none of it was so much as sneezed at in Customs.

Your husband was right, what if you tripped and fell onto a baby and stabbed it?

http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/shop/ is a brilliant shop id reccomend if buying something online id check here first .

im waiting on a elk ridge bushcraft knive to be delivered as a valentines day pressie to myself:D

http://kilkennyknifeandtool.com/product/backorder-elk-ridge-bushcraft/

they have a ton of genuine tatictal, survival and bushcraft knives

:

This shop seems to be on the ball.

They are quick to respond to a query.

They are Cold Steel agents and have no difficulty getting me an SRK :) I've been oogling one for a while now. The blade thickness is impressive.

Happy days :)

Tactical wrote: »
    This shop seems to be on the ball.

They are quick to respond to a query.

They are Cold Steel agents and have no difficulty getting me an SRK :) I've been oogling one for a while now. The blade thickness is impressive.

Happy days :)

delighted for you and jealous as well that SRK seems indestructible :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Had a leatherman on my belt in public and private for more than 10 years. Only ever quizzed about it once on a ferry crossing by customs. "It's for work". End of story.

It's like many laws in Ireland. It depends, it'll probably be grand. Once you're not a scaldy looking young fella with a blade you'll probably be grand unless you did something else.

delighted for you and jealous as well that SRK seems indestructible :cool::cool:

I'll let you know after it arrives :)

Tough and simple. It on the face of things fit the bill well. With numerous reviews on Youtube it seems hard to beat a design that's lasted as long as this has.

For the purposes of keeping the thread on topic, I ordered it online from the supplier recommend in this thread.

Advertisement