Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Checklist 2016

• 26-01-2016 10:14am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So for 2016, we're introducing a new feature, it's called the Christmas Checklist, so it's a list of things that need to happen before we can say it's Christmas.

Add ideas below and I'll add them to the top post. Once the item has happened it will be crossed off the list yay and hopefully all items will be crossed off before Christmas 2016.

I'll start with two of the more obvious ones;

The Rté Christmas TV Guide is on sale,
    The Coca Cola Christmas Ad was spotted on TV

The Checklist

The Rté Christmas TV Guide is on sale
    The Coca Cola Christmas Ad spotted on TV
    Christmas FM goes live
    Lights are put up in streets around Ireland
    Lights are switched on
    Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens
    First Christmas song on mainstream radio
    Boots shelves are stacked with 3 for 2 gifts
    Boots gift catalogue released
    The Calendar Club shops reopen
    Tins of Roses, quality street etc hit the shops
    Date for Late Late Toy Show is announced
    Santa Claus is on the Kellogs Corn Flakes box
    Ads appearing for Christmas party nights
    John Lewis Ad
    The M&S food catalogue is out
    Home Alone on tv
    Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue
    Clocks going back a hour
    Flu vaccine adverts
    X-Factor and Strictly start Back
    Great British Bake Off begins
    Red cups in Starbucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

The Guinness Christmas ad is seen
    First Christmas carol is heard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Lights are put up in streets around Ireland
    Lights are switched on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I read that last year was the last of the Guinness Christmas ad as there is new alcohol advertising legislation coming in this year that will make it illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

When they begin the Bing.

(White Christmases are likely to remain a receding dream, I fear)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    I read that last year was the last of the Guinness Christmas ad as there is new alcohol advertising coming in this year that will make it illegal.

No, not illegal, it just means alcohol ads can only take place after the watershed now. I can't see Guinness dropping the ad as it's infamous now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

katemarch wrote: »
    When they begin the Bing.

(White Christmases are likely to remain a receding dream, I fear)

What's The Bing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

When Christmas FM goes live

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    No, not illegal, it just means alcohol ads can only take place after the watershed now. I can't see Guinness dropping the ad as it's infamous now.

Unless the bill changed, it also states that alcohol advertising can only be a factual representation of the product. Ads that set scenes to invoke a mood will be illegal. Almost all Guinness ads ever made fall into this category, including this one. The Budweiser Clydesdales would also. Anything about Carlsberg probably being the best by linking it to something random. There is more information here; http://www.mindshareworld.com/ireland/news/sally-o%E2%80%99brien-and-way-we-won%E2%80%99t-look-her
    Creatively brands will be restricted to product information only. Gone will be the often beautiful, funny, strange, annoying, but often iconic storytelling (think of Guinness with its rugby legends, waves of horses and the Home of the Black Stuff Christmas ad), the oldies amongst us can’t forget Harp’s Sally O’Brien and the way she might look at you or how we understood the importance of time to Bulmers. We will now be left to wonder at what else Carlsberg is doing better (probably) and what shenanigans the Coors Lights lads are getting up to high in the Rockies!

iguana wrote: »
    Unless the bill changed, it also states that alcohol advertising can only be a factual representation of the product. Ads that set scenes to invoke a mood will be illegal. Almost all Guinness ads ever made fall into this category, including this one. The Budweiser Clydesdales would also. Anything about Carlsberg probably being the best by linking it to something random. There is more information here; http://www.mindshareworld.com/ireland/news/sally-o%E2%80%99brien-and-way-we-won%E2%80%99t-look-her

No you're absolutely right. That's shocking to say the least. Looks like we won't be seeing the Budwiser Ad with the horses either. Such a silly silly law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

What's The Bing?

aka Mr Crosby

He constantly dreams of a White Christmas: little he knows!

• Advertisement

Boots shelves are stacked with 3 for 2 gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tins of Roses, quality street etc hit the shops

Toy Show

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Santa Claus is on the Kellogs Corn Flakes box.

Ads appearing for Christmas party nights

Some great suggestions so far.

I forgot to say when you've see or hear an item on the checklist be sure to either take a pic or let us know where you seen/heard it and when so we can cross it off our list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought of a great one last night but I can't remember it now.

John Lewis ad is another one.

The M&S food catelogue is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Home alone starts being shown on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

The winter argos catalogue is out ! Then their mini christmas catalogue appears shortly afterwards :pac: ooooh and pennys Start stocking their gloves and hats! :) well they are mine anyway lol

The Hollybough is on sale (this may only be relevant in Cork).

• Advertisement

I've got two more!!

Boots start advertising the Flu Vaccine :pac:

The clocks go back an hour, marking the start of winter-time

Posy wrote: »
    I've got two more!!

Boots start advertising the Flu Vaccine :pac:

The clocks go back an hour, marking the start of winter-time

Ooooh the clocks going back a hour is a really good one. It locks in the dark evenings and you know winter is here.

I've added "When X-Factor Starts back" to the list, when that starts at the end of Aug/start of Sept you know the countdown to Christmas is really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Reports from Dublin airport or arrivals, this one always cracks me up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDEboZ7qtIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Back on the flights thing.
    7.5 hour direct or 11 hour 1 stopper for 2/3's of the price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

You can't get a parking space for love it money.
    Kids being dragged around toy shops to find out what they want from Santa (I am not joking).
    every single garden centre/ hotel / country house advertising the arrival of santa

They will be getting ready to open in just over 2 and a half months time! :D

Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue
    I JUST HEARD AN AD SAYING IT IS OUT THIS SATURDAY!! :D

Posy wrote: »
    I JUST HEARD AN AD SAYING IT IS OUT THIS SATURDAY!! :D

YAY!!! It's coming round so quick this year or is it just me that thinks that haha.

• Advertisement

YAY!!! It's coming round so quick this year or is it just me that thinks that haha.
    I thought the Argos catalogue was usually the end of July, but I'm not complaining!

I think Iguana hit the nail on the head in the chat thread- it feels very autumnal to me too lately. :)

Advertisement