Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car parks and flooding in Salthill

• 26-01-2016 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

099DGZi.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/26/salt-lake/

This used to be a once every 2-3 years occurrence but it happens every weather event now, another dozen or so write offs to drive all our insurance premiums ever higher, you cant blame the tourists or foreigners living here because it does look like somewhere that doesn't flood (even with the large amount of sand and seaweed in there), its the councils fault for not blocking it off when they know any yellow or orange event is going to do it, it should at least be signposted properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have to agree. It's all well and good bashing people who park there during weather events for being stupid enough to have done so or for not heeding warnings etc but the reality is everyone with a car insurance policy is paying for this.It really can't go on so regularly. Something needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is it not the case that a lot of people deliberately leave their cars there when they know there's a weather event occurring? That's what I heard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Video of the flooding here http://connachttribune.ie/residents-outraged-as-up-to-20-cars-written-off-in-toft-carpark-flood-602/

Time to close the Toft car park and access road and extend the seaside park to the Aquarium. Provide residents only parking near the apartments using the access road behind Seapoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ban the sea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there even a sign?

"Car park prone to flooding. Do not park here if risk of heavy rain!" or similar.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

never turn your back to the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    Is there even a sign?

"Car park prone to flooding. Do not park here if risk of heavy rain!" or similar.

Yes! We've seen pictures of it in earlier threads, I'm sure.

biko wrote: »
    Is there even a sign?

There is, shows a photo of car park flooded and cars flooded as well, but it is not a "Real Time Information" Sign that can now be seen on some of the approach roads in the City.

Are the car owners covered by Insurance if they have parked in a place that is known to flood I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FluffyMcCardy

I guess those people never read or watch the weather forecast. Heavy rain and high winds were well flagged up and frankly that carpark is probably the most famous in Ireland for flooding with multiple videos and photos on the net and a regular slot on RTE news. There's even a big sign on the gate saying 'prone to flooding'.

What more warning do they need? If they're really local residents then they can hardly be surprised.

i drove through salthill this evening, seaweed and rocks on the road

long live galway

i drove through salthill this evening, seaweed and rocks on the road

long live galway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It has to be insurance fraud, nobody could be that fooking thick to leave a car there with the warnings in place. I hope for the rest of us they don't get one cent for their claims.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Have we tried having Padraig Conneely photographed next to it, looking stern?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    Have we tried having Padraig Conneely photographed next to it, looking stern?

No, Really Screams has dibs on flooding, he gets dibs on parking issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The problem is that this car park is on reclaimed land and is lower than the Promenade road. All you need is a high tide, a south westerly or southerly wind and gale force conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The problem is that this car park is on reclaimed land and is lower than the Promenade road. All you need is a high tide, a south westerly or southerly wind and gale force conditions.

And seaweed blown in from the sea to cover the gully's. This stops the water from draining away and is the biggest cause of the flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thargor wrote: »
    This used to be a once every 2-3 years occurrence but it happens every weather event now
    Welcome to car-induced global warming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I don't know how anyone could miss the big bloody sign of the partially submerged car on the way into it! Used to live nearby and often saw people parking there when there were clear weather warnings of what to expect... That being said, it seems that people just won't heed any of this so maybe it's time to save them from themselves. Not sure where additional parking to take up the slack could come from though.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cars-stranded-as-storm-erik-hits-galway-1.3786781

Feb 8, 2019 Cars have been left stranded in flood water after Storm Erik made its presence felt in Salthill, Co Galway. Video: Joe O'Shaughnessy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Wonder how many were driven down there specifically by news of the storm???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Do insurance companies pay out?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Most of these cars are old, very little value and impossible to sell. I can bet they were left there deliberately to get insurance payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Unlikely there for insurance claim given the increase in premium after claim. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yourmama wrote:
    Most of these cars are old, very little value and impossible to sell. I can bet they were left there deliberately to get insurance payout.

It's obvious you don't know how car insurance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

T-Maxx wrote:
    It's obvious you don't know how car insurance work.

Enlighten me

c_man wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone could miss the big bloody sign of the partially submerged car on the way into it! Used to live nearby and often saw people parking there when there were clear weather warnings of what to expect... That being said, it seems that people just won't heed any of this so maybe it's time to save them from themselves. Not sure where additional parking to take up the slack could come from though.
    I know this is a three year old post but a lot of people can be oblivious to weather warnings.
    If you don't consume much Irish media you could easily miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

c_man wrote: »
    I know this is a three year old post but a lot of people can be oblivious to weather warnings.
    If you don't consume much Irish media you could easily miss it.
    Theres no helping some people sure and this is what happens.

Advertisement