Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VG24/7 - Bungie to sell Ammo Packs for cash.

• 25-01-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/25/bungie-sell-destiny-ammo-packs-real-money-microtransactions/
    Bungie is to sell Destiny ammo packs for real money, a source familiar with the matter has confirmed to VG247...

If this turns out to be true, fcuk. That will actually be the end of Destiny for me, would be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Surely it isn't going to happen. I can see it being something they would have looked at (amongst many other things) but I just can't see them doing something so stupid.

With all the issues Destiny has had over the last month (and few days) and rumours such as no big, planned, content this year, and now this..... Bungie need to act fast and significantly to address the concerns of the player base. If this Thursdays Update is another crappy no-info but info coming soon speil, the hardcore community is going to go ape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Who in the name of christ is going to pay for Ammo Synths? :confused:

Well unless they remove the option to buy them in game from Xur/Banshee/Variks..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cormac... wrote: »

Well unless they remove the option to buy them in game from Xur/Banshee/Variks..... :eek:

I saw a load of comments the other day about Varicks no longer selling anything, if that is true people are going to tie it to this.

I would also say that if this happened, either the Heavy Ammo would drop less, or people will simply perceive it to drop less - either way, it will create an almighty stink.

If it is true, it is a terrible move from Bungie. Just insanely stupid.

If it is not true, this rumour is the last thing Bungie need given the comments and criticism the game has gotten in the last month and especially since the last weekly update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was about to agree with this when I remembered I bought the Sparrow racing book for a tenner. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wow, this is a really, horrible idea. If this is true, it will kill the game imho. Something like this will inevitably warp the game design, so that there will never be enough ammo etc.

The lack of a content road map is bad enough, but to lump all this micro transaction nonsense on top of that, it really beggars belief as to what Bungie are up to exactly.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Was about to agree with this when I remembered I bought the Sparrow racing book for a tenner. :o

imagine if they created a heavy shotgun....

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Wow, this is a really, horrible idea. If this is true, it will kill the game imho. Something like this will inevitably warp the game design, so that there will never be enough ammo etc.

The lack of a content road map is bad enough, but to lump all this micro transaction nonsense on top of that, it really beggars belief as to what Bungie are up to exactly.

This is it, yes. For them to bring it in, and expect to make money from doing so, they would need to adjust how we currently obtain heavy ammo.

To be honest, I just can't see it coming in. It would be utterly insane for them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

If it turns out they actually do put them on sale then I'm just going to laugh, they can't seriously believe that anyone would pay real money for ammo synths.

Sure I know there are dumb people out there but they couldn't possibly be that dumb right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I firmly believe we should be replacing Bungie with Activision when we have these discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

If it turns out they actually do put them on sale then I'm just going to laugh, they can't seriously believe that anyone would pay real money for ammo synths.

Sure I know there are dumb people out there but they couldn't possibly be that dumb right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

To be honest, I just can't see it coming in. It would be utterly insane for them to do it.

Yeah, I would have taught the same, but after the sub class boosters, I just don't know anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I would also say that if this happened, either the Heavy Ammo would drop less, or people will simply perceive it to drop less - either way, it will create an almighty stink.

I actually do think heavy ammo is much harder to come by.
    • I don't have fancy boots that let me carry extra rockets.
    • Xur is selling packs of 3, when he used to sell packs of 5.
    • I'm still burning through heavy ammo I bought from Xur pre-TTK, I haven't been able to afford any more.

I'm hoping this is an unfounded rumour, as I really don't think Bungie would stoop that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

PetKing wrote: »
    I firmly believe we should be replacing Bungie with Activision when we have these discussions.

Exactly. I mentioned this in the Destiny 2 rumour thread. Bungie may be the ones who design and build the game, but when you are on the leash for a reported $500 Mio from Activision, ALL business decisions/game economy decisions are made by Activision. Bungie would have little say in it in my view.

Now, if they bring in paid ammo packs, they will bring in paid for weapons eventually. The gaming worlds eastern model of MT's are integrating more and more into the western landscape.

Yes, I bought some silver for the original dance emotes. At the time, I had gotten so much playtime out of Destiny that I didn't mind. Didn't mind spending €35 on the first 2 DLC's. Didn't mind spending €40 on TTK. Like most of us here, I've put roughly €150 into the game. For the 609 hours I've put into it, it's cost roughly 24cent an hour. That's a bargain, entertainment wise.

Yes, I bought some silver for the original dance emotes. At the time, I had gotten so much playtime out of Destiny that I didn't mind. Didn't mind spending €35 on the first 2 DLC's. Didn't mind spending €40 on TTK. Like most of us here, I've put roughly €150 into the game. For the 609 hours I've put into it, it's cost roughly 24cent an hour. That's a bargain, entertainment wise.

Which site are you looking at for your total hours? So many tracking sites, that I sometimes font know which one to check for which stat.

Which site are you looking at for your total hours? So many tracking sites, that I sometimes font know which one to check for which stat.

Just the Bungie site. Go to your gear page, then stats. Shows hours played at the bottom, for each of your chars.

729 hours
    *vomits*

Just over 10 cent and hour! (Vanilla was a birthday present)

Ah, Bungies Website only displays actual time played. Destinystatus.com shows total time including orbit and tower.

So that gives me 843 hours. :eek: I've spent a total of 234 hours either in Orbit or in Tower/Reef.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's shocking to think I've probably spent more time doing nothing in Destiny than actually playing any other game ever.

Activision, via GameInformer, saying the VG24/7 article is incorrect.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/25/no-bungie-and-activision-aren-t-going-to-charge-real-money-for-destiny-ammo.aspx
    We reached out to Activision, who was quick to dismiss VG 24/7’s report from a single source as false. “We’re not doing that,” a representative told us via email.

Activision, via GameInformer, saying the VG24/7 article is incorrect.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/25/no-bungie-and-activision-aren-t-going-to-charge-real-money-for-destiny-ammo.aspx
    We reached out to Activision, who was quick to dismiss VG 24/7’s report from a single source as false. “We’re not doing that,” a representative told us via email.

• Advertisement

I don't believe for a second that an e-mail as concise as that came from a corporate entity. There is no mention of "Going Forward", "Getting a Helicopter View of the Issue", "Let's blue-sky this one" etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ive logged up 410 hours in total on the game and i so far paid 35 for game + expansions and I spent 10er on silver.

so that works out at a whopping 9 cent an hour :D

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Ive logged up 410 hours in total on the game and i so far paid 35 for game + expansions and I spent 10er on silver.

so that works out at a whopping 9 cent an hour :D

And you've had fun.

This is the thing with Destiny, getting over 400 hours worth of entertainment for 35/45 quid. The game has been an absolute bargain for most of us. Whether we've spent 35 or 135 quid for the game and it's DLC/expansions, on a per hour basis, it works out less than 30 cent an hour for the majority of us. You'd be hard pressed to get that sort of value-for-money from other titles.

My favourite game of the last gen was The Last of US. How much was that? 50 quid? 60 quid? I played it once. Finished the story, never once looked at the Story+ mode or the MP side. I was happy with my 60 quid spend.

Now, whatever and however we feel about the way Destiny's economy is heading, lack of meaningful content updates (Crimson Days :rolleyes:). Whether or not they implement paid for Ammo Packs / Armour Packs / Weapon Packs / Silver / Glimmer / Marks. If you never turn the game on again, you've had an absolute bargain entertainment wise up to this point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

And you've had fun.

This is the thing with Destiny, getting over 400 hours worth of entertainment for 35/45 quid. The game has been an absolute bargain for most of us. Whether we've spent 35 or 135 quid for the game and it's DLC/expansions, on a per hour basis, it works out less than 30 cent an hour for the majority of us. You'd be hard pressed to get that sort of value-for-money from other titles.

My favourite game of the last gen was The Last of US. How much was that? 50 quid? 60 quid? I played it once. Finished the story, never once looked at the Story+ mode or the MP side. I was happy with my 60 quid spend.

Now, whatever and however we feel about the way Destiny's economy is heading, lack of meaningful content updates (Crimson Days :rolleyes:). Whether or not they implement paid for Ammo Packs / Armour Packs / Weapon Packs / Silver / Glimmer / Marks. If you never turn the game on again, you've had an absolute bargain entertainment wise up to this point.

Ive had so much fun that its been well worth it and theres plenty more in it for me aswell :D

Depending on how you slice it I've spent ~€200

Base game €65
    Expansion Pass €35 (tDB and HoW)
    tTK (€40)
    tTK Collectors Edition Add-On €20
    Silver €40 (€20x2)

Would rather have not bought 2 of those things (2nd batch of silver and the tTK CE stuff), but I was either impulsive or drunk or both

I've racked up 1,400 hours.

So thats about 14 cents an hour. Not bad going tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Don't you think that the promise of a continually evolving, expanding and *fair* universe was part of the reason people put so much time in though? I'm not a no-lifer but I've still put a ludicrous amount of time into this thing. I guess with the (sad) expectation that this grind was all 'progressing' my characters in the universe as it continually expanded. A universe you trusted Bungie with.

But things have changed. The promised content has dropped off a cliff. And the community's idea for the world of destiny is being completely lost.

Make no mistake - if I thought microtransctions and play to win mechanics were going to be introduced I would *never* have purchased Destiny in the first place.

quad_red wrote: »
    Don't you think that the promise of a continually evolving, expanding and *fair* universe was part of the reason people put so much time in though? I'm not a no-lifer but I've still put a ludicrous amount of time into this thing. I guess with the (sad) expectation that this grind was all 'progressing' my characters in the universe as it continually expanded. A universe you trusted Bungie with.

100%. The whole thing of 2 DLC, then a TTK size expansion yearly plan was something the playerbase could look to. "Ah, we have a lull? No worries, there'll be a DLC coming in the next month or so." But, another aspect that has kept a lot of players is how the game handles and the community that the game has created.
    But things have changed. The promised content has dropped off a cliff. And the community's idea for the world of destiny is being completely lost.

Things will always change. The issue with Destiny's change in approach is partly to do with Activision holding the purse strings. Bungie have also stated that the game engine, which they built from the ground up if I'm not mistaken, is pretty prohibitive when it comes to adding new assets. So, you have a game engine issue prohibiting the initial yearly content plan, one of the two had to give, and unfortunately, the most cost effective way of less DLC content was chosen.
    Make no mistake - if I thought microtransctions and play to win mechanics were going to be introduced I would *never* have purchased Destiny in the first place.

I probably would have said the same thing. MT's for cosmetic stuff? Have at it. MT's for boosts/armour/weapons? No thanks. MT's are one thing the Eastern game market can keep, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Bungie have also stated that the game engine, which they built from the ground up if I'm not mistaken, is pretty prohibitive when it comes to adding new assets. So, you have a game engine issue prohibiting the initial yearly content plan, one of the two had to give, and unfortunately, the most cost effective way of less DLC content was chosen.

Oh good God - I just looked that up. How could they have thought that this mess was going to work? How can such a big budget game from such an established studio have such an utterly banjaxed workflow? http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731
    It’s not uncommon for a game’s scope to reduce during development, but Bungie had a unique problem. People who worked on this project say that one of Bungie’s fundamental issues over the past few years has been the game’s engine, which the studio built from scratch alongside Destiny. Four sources pointed to Destiny’s technology—the tools they use to design levels, render graphics, and create content—as an inhibiting factor in the game’s development.

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”

Oh good God - I just looked that up. How could they have thought that this mess was going to work? How can such a big budget game from such an established studio have such an utterly banjaxed workflow? http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

Yup. They really shot themselves in the foot with the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Give us our money Bungie.
    Where's the money Bungie!
    You told us there'd be f***ing money Bungie, pay us!
    You know the vig is just getting bigger every day you don't pay us our money Bungie, don't make us have to hurt you. Look what we did to that last guy!
    PAY US THE MONEY BUNGIE!!!

And this is why I'm now officially done with Destiny. Activision, not Bungie, is the problem here, but they've jammed the developers into an impossible position.

Advertisement