Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boards outage megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

So is this the way its to be from now on ?

really slow and no search function ?

Sure this time last week the attacks had only started.

I'm sure this time next week things will be much improved again. G'wan the hamsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Seems alots of sites being hit any ideas whos behind it?
    A number of Government websites that were forced offline this morning by a so-called Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS), are now back online.

Among the sites impacted were the Central Statistics Office, the Courts Service, the Health Service Executive, and the Houses of the Oireachtas.

The website of mobile phone company Meteor was also affected and Eir confirmed that it was the subject of a DDoS attack yesterday and again this morning.

It is understood that the attack began yesterday and that so far no group has claimed responsibility for it.

Earlier this week, the National Lottery's website and retail terminals were knocked offline by a DDoS attack, as well popular online forum site boards.ie.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0122/762161-cyber-attack/

And now i tryed to access pumps.ie and get this
    Resource Limit Is Reached
    The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Probably dem North Korean chaps. Have it in for us they do!

Or Isis. They found us on the map!

Or some bored teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Probably dem North Korean chaps. Have it in for us they do!

Or Isis. They found us on the map!

Or some bored teenager.

Or Twink. I wouldn't put it past Twink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Just surprised boards are even a target to be honest, it´s not google or facebook or some heartless corporation, it's a discussion site ffs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Getting a "password wrong multiple times, account locked " message when logging on on web. Strange coz I didn't get it wrong.
    Is that related to the outage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Yes Chimi. Head over to feedback for updates on how things are going http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

The 'What is wrong with the site' thread. Dav has been updating during the week. Next update should be tomorrow sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Getting the same as Chimi on the normal site but accessing through the touch site is working. Although I stay logged in on both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Getting a "password wrong multiple times, account locked " message when logging on on web. Strange coz I didn't get it wrong.
    Is that related to the outage?

It is, stay logged on if you can, I have found that early in the morning is the best time to try and get back on, I was getting the same messages as you are so I now just leave my three devices permanently logged on until this settles down, not ideal I know but at least you can still post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am getting asking to type in a 'password' to prove I'm not a robot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am getting asking to type in a 'password' to prove I'm not a robot

Even if you are and you input one with a different number of characteristics and go through the reset procedure and get mail back saying you were successful, you are not because if you count the number of ** you will see it hasnt updated it (automated reply?) and you just have to wait until the next (morning) in my case and log on with your original password,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This needs a poll.

A bored teenager hacker( with no cop on ) who though it would be great craic to hack boards and government websites.

ISIS.

A malcontent banned boards member seeking revenge on boards.

All of the above... A malcontent bored teenage member of ISIS who had been banned from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I for one welcome our ddosing ant overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭thesandeman

All fixed for now by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

All fixed for now by the looks of it.
    Apart from a load of double posts that keep appearing in various threads.

And the search doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Whoop! Well done hamsters! Posts are back to full speed on laptop. FU DDOS :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Great to have the site up and running again.. so kudos to all involved in sorting things out!

Is this Captcha login going to be a permanent thing though as it's getting extremely annoying already and i've only noticed it this morning?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Site flying again today thankfully, well done all involved, I'm sure the past week has been a loooooong one!

Search still not working for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

One issue that's becoming tedious is the significant number of duplicated posts, which I know for sure is a system issue, and probably related to the length of time it's taking to post a message, it seems that if the time exceeds a given threshold, the software automatically retries the post, but then that results in 2 identical entries, and if you don't go back in relatively quickly to delete the second one, it's not possible to do so at a later time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

One issue that's becoming tedious is the significant number of duplicated posts, which I know for sure is a system issue, and probably related to the length of time it's taking to post a message, it seems that if the time exceeds a given threshold, the software automatically retries the post, but then that results in 2 identical entries, and if you don't go back in relatively quickly to delete the second one, it's not possible to do so at a later time.
    It's as if load balancing is making the db entries bounce between two servers. And that both servers are then accepting and processing the same request.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Can log on with fone,laptop keeps telling me to change password(done it twice),as login has failed multiple times. Anybody in similar situ?

Can log on with fone

Have you tried using your phone instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Gud idea

xoxo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I feel like this guy every time I post:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Not getting emails either from followed threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My post count must be flying with all the double posts, never had to delete so many posts and I don't delete in normal circumstances unless i have multiple windows open and I post in the wrong thread.
    Then it is a quick delete to try and hide my embarrassment...
    Today I had several double posts, if this is a double I will not delete the second one.

Advertisement