Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Recruitment for Reserves amy be on the way

• 20-11-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Statement from Minister of Justice 19th Nov 2015
    I wish to put on record my appreciation for the contribution that those who volunteer for service as Garda reserve members make on a daily basis to the work of An Garda Síochána. Together with full time members, they provide vital assistance to communities across the country.
    Recruitment competitions for full time members of An Garda Síochána are open to all who meet the eligibility criteria set out in the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) Regulations 2013.
    For those reserve members who meet these requirements, the 2013 Regulations provide that, as part of the competitive selection process "due recognition to any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member" shall be given to such candidates as the Public Appointments Service (which has responsibility for organising the process) and the Commissioner, after consultation with the Minister for Justice and Equality, determine.As part of the planning process for the new Garda recruitment competition to be announced shortly, consideration is being given to how such due recognition may be given to the training and experience of reserve members.
    The Deputy may wish to be aware that of the 475 Garda trainees who have entered the Garda College since it reopened in September 2014, 88 were already reserve members of the Force.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

For all those hard working Reserves who have dedicated so much of their time over the past 7 years , this may mean that this servie will be now be truely recognised and rewarded with a promotion to the regular ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

I really hope that they get this right at this stage . how it turns out is any ones guess. Will it be a separate stream similar to Irish or will reserves get extra marks at interview for years service.
    Should reserves even have to sit an interview? (thee biggest grey area of the process)
    assuming they get through all the test stage 1,2 and 3, and on the basis they already are vetted, and have done a medical for reserves should reserves have to sit an interview at all. they are already wearing the uniform (and not getting paid) and have been doing the job for a number of years and have received formal training and training (experience ) in the job.
    All this training, exp does need to count for something if not a significant amount.
    A reserve in the eyes of AGS is sufficiently competent to serve as a reserve alongside the full timers and so really doesn't need to be sitting an interview at all.
    should the age limit be lifted for reserves ?
    By the same token does a reserve need to be sitting aptitude tests.
    Should reserves with 5+ years experience as a reserve go straight as a trainee ?
    This is an opportunity for AGS or whoever is in charge of this process to come out of the shadows and make real and effective change that would be welcomed by many and besides all the right thing to do.

please lets get this debate going with thoughts and ideas---you never know who might be viewing and looking for ideas
    just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

For all those hard working Reserves tomorrow will be a big day.

Recruitment Drive for 2016 commences with consideration for service within the Reserve

The internal recruitment stream has arrived . Best of luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭connectq

I'm just over 35 and a serving Garda reserve but looks like I can't apply I'm disgusted, I missed out on last recruitment drive as I failed one section of the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

connectq wrote: »
    I'm just over 35 and a serving Garda reserve but looks like I can't apply I'm disgusted, I missed out on last recruitment drive as I failed one section of the interview

The age limit should be higher if you are a reserve member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Congratulations to all the reserve members who are eligible. I'm too old at this stage myself, but very happy for those younger members that have stuck with the reserve, your day has arrived.
    If you have done your probation and worked at least 150 hours for two years in the last four and get a good recommendation from your station your odds of getting in have gone from 200/1 to 10/1.
    This should give the Reserve a new lease of life.

thesamster wrote: »
    The age limit should be higher if you are a reserve member.

I know but it's not. Ah well I'll be giving up reserve now, was only holding on because I thought there would be a chance to get in through reserve

connectq wrote: »
    I know but it's not. Ah well I'll be giving up reserve now, was only holding on because I thought there would be a chance to get in through reserve

yes its a pity the age limit hasn't been adjusted for service in reserves.
    thankfully service has been recognised and Im wondering how this will pan out, The process outlined on page 8 of the info booklet only applies to general and irish stream and there is a footnote under to state that reserve stream will have a supervise stage 1 test in February. what the process is after that for the reserves is not clear perhaps they will then have an interview (and other assessments)

Copaholic wrote: »
    yes its a pity the age limit hasn't been adjusted for service in reserves.
    thankfully service has been recognised and Im wondering how this will pan out, The process outlined on page 8 of the info booklet only applies to general and irish stream and there is a footnote under to state that reserve stream will have a supervise stage 1 test in February. what the process is after that for the reserves is not clear perhaps they will then have an interview (and other assessments)

Best of luck to all applying and about time reserves got recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

Can I apply if I'm not a reserve Garda?

• Advertisement

Wicked131 wrote: »
    Can I apply if I'm not a reserve Garda?

Yes you can,check out public jobs.ie

with the reserve stream now in the recruitment campaign, can anyone explain what exactly is the advantage it offers to a reserve rather than the general stream.
    from the information booklet it appears that reserves do not need to sit the online test at home and they can go straight to the supervised test.
    if a reserve passes the supervised test then what happens ?
    do they still need to sit an interview, followed by medical, pct and vetting
    page 8 of the booklet outlined the recruitment process but states it only applies to the Irish and general stream.
    the recruitment process for the reserve stream is not clearly outlined other than stating that reserves sit a supervised test but no other info is given
    any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Copaholic wrote: »
    with the reserve stream now in the recruitment campaign, can anyone explain what exactly is the advantage it offers to a reserve rather than the general stream.
    from the information booklet it appears that reserves do not need to sit the online test at home and they can go straight to the supervised test.
    if a reserve passes the supervised test then what happens ?
    do they still need to sit an interview, followed by medical, pct and vetting
    page 8 of the booklet outlined the recruitment process but states it only applies to the Irish and general stream.
    the recruitment process for the reserve stream is not clearly outlined other than stating that reserves sit a supervised test but no other info is given
    any thoughts ?

I suppose the biggest advantage is that you are one in five hundred sitting the supervised test. The at home tests you are one in twenty thousand and you have to go through two of those to get to the supervised test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

About time the reserves got some slack in the recruitment - the number of reserves taken on in the last campaign was derisory. I think the government knew the Reserves was finished if they did not do something to make the part time service sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ppaddy

Does anyone know what tests they will use for reserves!
    Also can someone defer stage 1 ie: Reserves only! Sit down test. In early Febuary!

Advertisement