Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting started with Shooting

Options
  • 14-01-2016 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Well lads,

I want to get into Shooting but have no idea to go about it, I was looking on online but can't really find any solid information. I have few questions.

> For your first gun does it have to be a shotgun ( was told by a friend it has to )

> Gun Safes, what is the best location. Ex bedroom, under staircase. Any rules on location of Gun Safe.

> Ammo Limit, was reading online something about for new licenses there is a limit.

> What's the story with clubs and shooting on a farmers land.

> Would your Medical History come into consideration if you have a physical disability.

> Before sending any application do you have to meet with the firearms officer in your local station.

> Only being 20 would this come against me.

Has anyone dealt with the firearms officer in Limerick.

Any recommendations for clubs around the Limerick area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

What park of Limerick are you in. There's different firearms officers in each district but it's ultimately up to the superintendent on the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

What park of Limerick are you in. There's different firearms officers in each district but it's ultimately up to the superintendent on the decision.

Local station would be Henry street

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hunting or shooting?

Target shooting, not interested in hunting, mainly target and clay shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Well lads,

I want to get into Shooting but have no idea to go about it, I was looking on online but can't really find any solid information. I have few questions.

> For your first gun does it have to be a shotgun ( was told by a friend it has to )

No, your first gun doesn't have to be a shotgun. It can be any gun that is legally available to licence. That includes rifles, pistols, shotguns, air guns etc.
    > Gun Safes, what is the best location. Ex bedroom, under staircase. Any rules on location of Gun Safe.

The gun safe must be bolted to a solid structure so it depends on where in your house has a solid wall/floor to bolt the safe into. I would always try to have the gun safe in any place where it isn't easily seen or where it can be disguised (inside a wardrobe etc.). Under the stairs if it was closed off would be good as long as it can be bolted into a solid structure.
    > Ammo Limit, was reading online something about for new licenses there is a limit.

There are ammo limits. You must supply a letter with your application requesting how much ammo you will need. The amount of ammo you need depends on the type of shooting that you are doing. For example, a target shooter will use more ammo than a hunter so logically a target shooter will need more ammo. Let us know the type of shooting you want to do and we can recommend how much to put on the application.

> What's the story with clubs and shooting on a farmers land.

If you want to do target shooting, you must be a member of a club. If you want to shoot on farmers land, you must get permissions from the farmers. Typically you need permissions from two farmers/land owners if you want a gun to hunt.
    > Would your Medical History come into consideration if you have a physical disability.

I suppose it would depend on your physical disability. It shouldn't be an issue unless your disability would make you unsafe with a gun. Sh1t loads of people with disabilities have guns. It's unlikely to be a problem.
    > Before sending any application do you have to meet with the firearms officer in your local station.

There's no requirement for this to happen but it wouldn't do any harm to talk to them. One thing I will say though, don't always take what they say to be correct. I've been given incorrect advice by F.O's several times in the past. Mostly their advice will be good though.
    > Only being 20 would this come against me.

No, no problem at all. You will probably be asked to prove that you are competent with the gun though so that might involve doing some sort of safety training course.

Target shooting, not interested in hunting, mainly target and clay shooting.

If it's clays, you will need a shotgun. For targets, I'm assuming that it's paper targets that you are talking about. Then you would need a rifle or pistol (and lots of money) ;-)

Plenty of parishes have clay shooting clubs.

If you want to do target shooting with rifles or pistols, then you have to join a club that has a range. There are less of those. It's illegal to do target shooting outside of an authorised range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

I'm based in Limerick area myself. I think there is a short-range for air rifles and maybe .22 I go to the Midlands National Shooting Centre myself as they have a range from 25m right out to 1200 yards. They also recently opened a new clay facility. They helped me out getting my first license and what options I had etc. Its just over an hours drive from Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any recommendations for clubs around the Limerick area.

Not a recommendation but here is a complete list of ranges. Check the post regarding Limerick first then other surrounding counties.

Here is a list of shotgun ranges.

I would try to check the rifle ranges first as some can facilitate clay shooting. This would save you joining two ranges.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

BattleCorp wrote: »

The gun safe must be bolted to a solid structure so it depends on where in your house has a solid wall/floor to bolt the safe into. I would always try to have the gun safe in any place where it isn't easily seen or where it can be disguised (inside a wardrobe etc.). Under the stairs if it was closed off would be good as long as it can be bolted into a solid structure.

See there is no spare rooms in the house, and the attic is also a bedroom. I think thinking myself under the staircase would be great. The only thing is our side back door is also there. Will this be a problem. Does the firearms officer come to your house and check your safe.

Thanks for answering the question.

See there is no spare rooms in the house, and the attic is also a bedroom. I think thinking myself under the staircase would be great. The only thing is our side back door is also there. Will this be a problem. Does the firearms officer come to your house and check your safe.

Thanks for answering the question.

The crime prevention officer might come to your house and inspect it. As long as the safe is bolted to a solid structure and is out of sight, you shouldn't have any problems.

Would anybody using that back door be able to see the safe in that location?

The crime prevention officer might come to your house and inspect it. As long as the safe is bolted to a solid structure and is out of sight, you shouldn't have any problems.

Would anybody using that back door be able to see the safe in that location?

Well to be honest we don't use the back door as much. We keep jackets in there. Could you put the safe behind the jackets.

Does the safe have to be in a standing position. or can it be bolted laying on the ground.

• Advertisement

Well to be honest we don't use the back door as much. We keep jackets in there. Could you put the safe behind the jackets.

Does the safe have to be in a standing position. or can it be bolted laying on the ground.
    All that really is down to your Crime Prevention officer he may say its fine he may say its not. Its a tough one to call. Personally I think your best bet is contacting a club and having a chat with your firearms officer.

nastros wrote: »
    All that really is down to your Crime Prevention officer he may say its fine he may say its not. Its a tough one to call. Personally I think your best bet is contacting a club and having a chat with your firearms officer.

No problem thanks, one more question if you can, The RoseMount Shooting School, just outside Limerick. Did you ever hear it. I know its a school. But could it be both a school and club.

No problem thanks, one more question if you can, The RoseMount Shooting School, just outside Limerick. Did you ever hear it. I know its a school. But could it be both a school and club.

Never really heard of it seems to mainly be a clay school as well as Archery and Crossbows.

It can be lying down, I can't see a problem with that. Just as long as it is secure. To be honest it is all up to your F.O./Crime Prevention Officer/Super.

A safe is a minimum requirement for a rifle or pistol. The Gardai are free to insist on extra security if they want. That can be a pain and can put you to extra expense.

To be honest, I've never had an inspection (cue an inspection in the next few days). I supplied photos of the safes, copy of monitored alarm agreement etc. so they didn't come out and inspect it. The safes are in a very secure location so I've no problem with an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Most ranges have firearm storage facilities so if storing it at home is an issue the range will store it for you. Of course there will be a fee associated with this but might save a lot of hassle

Cass wrote: »
    Not a recommendation but here is a complete list of ranges. Check the post regarding Limerick first then other surrounding counties.

Here is a list of shotgun ranges.

I would try to check the rifle ranges first as some can facilitate clay shooting. This would save you joining two ranges.

Would you have to complete the Firearms Competency Course before applying for the license.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For a first time license, yes.

There are four ways to show competency:
    1. Do a course and get a certificate
    2. Have held a training license prior to getting the full license
    3. Show safe handling in another aspect (DF, An Gardaí, etc)
    4. Letters of recommendation from currently licensed people attesting to your safety and competency.
    The competency course has become the fall back for everyone, shooters and An Gardaí alike. The truth is no course is officially recognised nor signed off on by An Gardaí. They (An Gardaí) do not regulate nor sanction any course or even run one themselves.

Most people have come to believe that this is the only way (competency course) to show competence, but it's not. This "myth" has been personified by An Gardaí in some districts refusing to accept any other form of proof of competence.

Anyway "mini" rant over. Get to an authorised range and ask about the course. nearly all ranges do them and will sort you out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If it's just range shooting both rifle and shotgun the poster wants to do then does he even need a license. Did I not read somewhere recently that if your just shooting at a range and you store your guns there then you don't need a licence. Correct me if I'm wrong

Luckysasha wrote: »
    If it's just range shooting both rifle and shotgun the poster wants to do then does he even need a license. Did I not read somewhere recently that if your just shooting at a range and you store your guns there then you don't need a licence. Correct me if I'm wrong

Luckysasha is correct.

If you are a member of a range, you can shoot any unrestricted firearm there without having a licence. It doesn't have to be your own gun, it could be a club gun or another member's gun.

But you can't bring a gun home with you if you don't have a licence, even if you own the gun.

Having a gun in your possession without a licence off the range is totally illegal and you are in deep doo-doo if the man in blue catches you. Actually having any part of the gun (apart from the telescopic sight) or even one round would have you in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha is correct.

If you are a member of a range, you can shoot any unrestricted firearm there without having a licence. It doesn't have to be your own gun, it could be a club gun or another member's gun.

But you can't bring a gun home with you if you don't have a licence, even if you own the gun.

Having a gun in your possession without a licence off the range is totally illegal and you are in deep doo-doo if the man in blue catches you. Actually having any part of the gun (apart from the telescopic sight) or even one round would have you in trouble.

+1

I confirmed this at courtlough two days ago. You can buy a gun and have it transported to the club and you can use your gun while on club grounds, but you cannot legally leave the club grounds with the gun, or ammo. This would include spent shells.

I will have to arrange for my guns to be moved to the club, because the membership letter states that club guns are only available for the induction lessons and you need your own guns after that. I got my membership yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement