Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pronunciation of Name Dearbhla

• 13-01-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Dearbhail / Dearbhal / Dearbhla / Deirbhile

Had always thought Dearbhla was pronounced as "Derv-la" (only two syllables), as have read this on many Irish name websites. I came across a post which states it is actually "dare + villa" (three syllables). There is also a website that allows you to listen to Frank McCourt pronounce certain Irish names and he, too, says "dare-villa".

Many thanks for your help and I am very sorry for my ignorance.

Pronunciation 10 votes

" Derv-la "
    0% 0 votes
    " dare-villa "
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It depends on where you are from. It is the same for many other names, including common ones like Sorcha and Saoirse. Saoirse Ronan apparently pronounces her name, "Saoirse, like inertia" but many others would pronounce it totally differently.

Some language puritans will have different things to say about this, but I don't think there is an incorrect way of pronouncing a name. It's a given name; it's up to the person to whom it is given how it is pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im in the Derv-la and Seer-sha camp.

*An if Frank McCourt jumped off a cliff, would you celebrate too? I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sir-sha/Seer-sha I think is just differences in regional pronunciation, since saoirse is also a word. In the same way that some people say vee-ickle and others say veh-hickle.

Dearbhla & Deirbhile I would pronounce differently, since the second one ends with "ile" I would pronounce it Derv-ill-ah, the first one just Derv-la

Advertisement