Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

So had a tiny bit of brown spotting yesterday and today, no cramps with it. Haven't had this before here's hoping it's a good sign! As brown means old right? Period due in 4 days...

It's funny for the first week of the 2ww I convince myself it's happened and then the last week I'm doubting it...ahh coping mecanisms! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭xalot

Sounds positive Meubles, could be implantation bleeding. Fingers crossed for you.

Am day two into the two week wait and already symptom spotting. Going to try refrain from the early testing that I tortured myself with last month.

My ovulation day jumped by a week and took me totally by surprise, my cycle has been shortening by at least 3 days each month for the last six months, am delighted that they're regulating to a normal timescale but it's a bit strange. Have had an amh test done and I've a high egg reserve so I shouldn't be pre menopausal - anyone any experience of the same thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Wishing all of you success.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Hi girls - I see a few of you have been considering/starting acupuncture, so I just wanted to give you my experience with it.

I had become pregnant as soon as we started TTC, but I had a very early miscarriage (5-6 weeks). We left TTCing for a few months after that, due to timing/work/life issues (though they do say that you can be very fertile after a miscarriage). So a few months later, and we were back on the TTC train for about 4-5 months with no results. The TWW was killing me every month, but I wasn't quite ready to start proper medical fertility testing. I had heard good things about acupuncture, so decided to give it a shot.

The acupuncturist advised me not to expect much for the first 3 months. I got pregnant with the 3 cycle of acupuncture, and am now 3 months (14 weeks) pregnant, and all is going normally.

For what its worth, I always figured it would never happen to me. I really never expected to get pregnant, and yet, those 2 weeks drove me dolally every month.

Funnily, the month I did get pregnant was the month that I had decided to come to terms with this, and was trying to convince myself that we would be happier without kids. I remember trying to tell my husband the same, which really upset him. It was the month that I left the ovulation kits in the drawer, forgot about timings, and fertile periods. But I did continue with the acupuncture, for a bit of rest, relaxation and meditation as much as for conceiving (which I had given up on).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

Delighted for you Meubles :-)

I have very strong AF symptoms today :( but sure hey, I supppose I was expecting too much by thinking it would happen first go.

I'm away next month for the full week when Fertility Friend and Period Tracker are telling me I'm fertile and ovulating so that'll put us a month back but I'm liking the sound of acupuncture.

Do you have to tell the acupuncturist what you're specifically wanting it for (I suppose you do).

Good luck everyone x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Really delighted to hear of the good review of acupuncture from the sunandmoon. I am half way through month two and was told that the work being done is to prepare eggs that will be released from three months on. Of course it doesn't always work but i have all fingers crossed it does.

Hearing of other experiences on here just comes down to that validation of my plans, plans that are not easy to talk about with anyone other than my husband.

I am just finished week one of the two week wait, have managed to keep speculation about various twinges at bay so far!

Xalot i ovulated about four days earlier this month, first time i have been aware because have only been temping two months. I will be interested to see if my period is also four days early. Is it always 14 days past ovulation? Is that set in stone or can this vary? I think in the past two years that i have reduced from five day to three day periods and this month it was only two days. My doctor didn't seem too worried but it still niggles at the back of my mind. How do they perform a test for egg reserve and what prompts that test?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My last period was 18 days past ovulation, so I think it can sometimes vary. Before I got pregnant with my son (5 years ago) I was always bang on 14 days past ovulation, but my cycle was about 34 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

greenttc wrote: »
    I think in the past two years that i have reduced from five day to three day periods and this month it was only two days. My doctor didn't seem too worried but it still niggles at the back of my mind. How do they perform a test for egg reserve and what prompts that test?

When you're counting the number of days your period lasts for are you counting all the days you see blood or just fresh blood. Mine is always 1 day start of period, 2 days of heavy fresh blood, then 5-6 or more light days of "old" blood (ie dark brown). So would you count the entire 9 days or just the 2-3 of the "main event"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭xalot

greenttc wrote: »
    Is it always 14 days past ovulation? Is that set in stone or can this vary? I think in the past two years that i have reduced from five day to three day periods and this month it was only two days. My doctor didn't seem too worried but it still niggles at the back of my mind. How do they perform a test for egg reserve and what prompts that test?

Your luteal phase is the number of days from when you ovulate to when you get your period. It varies from person to person but from what I gather it should be 10+ days to allow for implantation. Mine is 12 days each month. An AMH test is got from a simple blood test and tells you how many eggs you have left (though it does not measure egg quality). I got it done in a fertility clinic when they were doing a promotion but I believe most GP's can take the bloods and send them off for analysis, cost varies from 40-200 euro depending on GP.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

xalot wrote: »
    ...An AMH test is got from a simple blood test and tells you how many eggs you have left (though it does not measure egg quality).

Sorry, not to nitpick here, but the blood test cant tell you how many eggs you have left. Instead it gives an estimate of the overall size of your ovarian reserve based on the fact that the AMH hormone is only produced by follicles less than 8mm (20mm is the size of a mature follicle) It's a common misconception and I've even had to correct a junior doctor working on the fertility team in the hospital on it.

What it tells you is whether the Anti Mullerian Hormone level in your blood is consistent with the average woman of your age in a data table.

It's not a perfect method, and like you say, it does not take into account egg quality, but egg quality can only be determined in a lab after an egg retrieval harvest. There is no test to determine egg quality while they are still inside you.

An antral follicle count is an ultrasound that counts the resting follicles visible and therefore can provide an estimate of the amount of eggs remaining but again, cant give an exact number, or determine quality.

But as a starting point, an AMH test is a good one. I've had a couple, and they were able to tell me my AMH level was slightly lower than average, but because I'm 40, that's expected and within my age range, my result was pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wife did the first ovulation test this morning, twas negative.

Based on the calendar of when her last cycle finished she should be ovulating Sunday but with the MC and all her cycle has been a bit out of whack so we don't want to miss the boat this month.

Its an exciting time but also pretty nerve wracking, for her in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

I have a question about temping as it's my first month tracking this; it's been steadily rising since ovulation and is now much higher than my starting temp on the first day of my period. Is this normal? Does it drop the first day of your period normally? I read higher temps are no guarantee of pregnancy it's more if they stay elevated.

It only slightly dipped down 7dpo which was the same day I had some brown spotting.

Tomorrow is 12dpo and my LP is usually 12 so I plan to test Saturday. This waiting is tough...

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Meubles wrote: »
    I have a question about temping as it's my first month tracking this; it's been steadily rising since ovulation and is now much higher than my starting temp on the first day of my period. Is this normal? Does it drop the first day of your period normally? I read higher temps are no guarantee of pregnancy it's more if they stay elevated.

It only slightly dipped down 7dpo which was the same day I had some brown spotting.

Tomorrow is 12dpo and my LP is usually 12 so I plan to test Saturday. This waiting is tough...

Once you ovulate your temps rise as a result of progesterone.

That's why temping is the best way to guarantee you have ovulated. A temp rise (usually by .4) will indicate when you have ovulated. Though this is confirmed after you ovulate so by the time you see the rise you have already ovulated. The ovulation predictor kits will tell you when your LH rises which indicates that you will ovulate in the next 12-48 hrs. However for me these never worked and my gp advised that some people don't have enough lh to puck up. So what I'm trying to say is that personally temping is the cheapest and easiest way to know if you ovulate. The ovulation tests does not guarantee that you ovulate.

To your question, should you be pregnant your temp will stay high throughout as your progesterone increases. If you're not pregnant your progesterone drops and so will your temp. For me my temp drops the day before my period back to the level where it was before the rise. Others can be the day or a few days after your period

Hope that helps. Not to get hopes up but the spotting on 7dpo could be implantation bleeding as this would be the time it could happen. Best of luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So the ovulation test came up positive this morning. When would be the best time to DTD?

We havnt since Thursday so we're thinking later on today and again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Today, tomorrow, the day after and the day after that I think.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So the ovulation test came up positive this morning. When would be the best time to DTD?

We havnt since Thursday so we're thinking later on today and again in the morning.

In honour of Business Cat and Business Wife having Business Time: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

So I have been googling and it says you are supported to check for chicken pox $ ruebella and if u are immune before getting pregnant. Very silly of me not to think of this. My doc or gynae never mentioned anything other than folic acid. Has everyone else got checked for this

geez wrote: »
    So I have been googling and it says you are supported to check for chicken pox $ ruebella and if u are immune before getting pregnant. Very silly of me not to think of this. My doc or gynae never mentioned anything other than folic acid. Has everyone else got checked for this

Yeah, when I started going to my current doctor a couple of years ago she did the test straight away even though we weren't trying then just in case I did get pregnant accidentally. I think she told me that if you aren't immune and have to get the vaccines you shouldn't get pregnant for a certain time after so better to get that out of the way asap. I'm surprised your doctor never mentioned it if you were discussing getting pregnant.

I am very surprised too $ I have endometriosis so me and my gynae discussed when I would come off the pill etc so she could monitor if I can get pregnant naturally and she said nothing. Will have to book an appt asap.

Have you had other blood tests done? Maybe the immunity tests were included at the time and she forgot to mention it because you were immune? Best to get it sorted anyway just to set your mind at ease.

• Advertisement

Yes I did have some blood tests done maybe she forgot to mention it. Thanks for the info

So AF arrived on Saturday (a day later than expected/predicted).
    This is only our first month trying but I'm already peed off with my irregular cycles. :( My mood swings are seriously vicious before my period too. Anyone have any suggestions as to something (natural) I could take to help keep me balanced and sane?

Running is a great stress buster Tunage. Download the free C25k app and take a half an hour 3 times a week. I found that on really tough days within about 10 mins into the run I was feeling a lot better. I'd go home almost a totally different person.

Thanks Neyite,

I"m actualy in the process of starting to run with a friend of mine. A sort of 2016 challange/goal. I had a breast lump (fibroadenoma) biopsy last week so am quite sore from it and can't do anything for a few days/week. Will get stuck in when all heals up!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Great idea to start this thread! My husband and I decided to TTC late December. On day 24 however my period arrived, 4 days early and 6 days later it's still here and it's a horrible one. On day 6 it still feels like day 1.

I also have swollen and sore boobs, cramps and before it arrived I have what I think was a dull pain on the lower right hand side (possible ovary pain).

I'm wondering if I should wait it out or go to the doctor? I got vitex tincture today which is supposed to regulate hormones so hopefully that will help. Any advice is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Luc01 wrote: »
    Great idea to start this thread! My husband and I decided to TTC late December. On day 24 however my period arrived, 4 days early and 6 days later it's still here and it's a horrible one. On day 6 it still feels like day 1.

I also have swollen and sore boobs, cramps and before it arrived I have what I think was a dull pain on the lower right hand side (possible ovary pain).

I'm wondering if I should wait it out or go to the doctor? I got vitex tincture today which is supposed to regulate hormones so hopefully that will help. Any advice is much appreciated!

I would ask in a pharmacy if they'd advise seeing a doctor

Did you just come off the pill? If so, it can take a while for your cycle to regularise. My first period after stopping the pill was a doozy and lasted 9 days. If you are worried though go see your doctor or check with a pharmacist like Roselm suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Thanks ladies for the response great to have the support when this process is all alien to us all! I've been off the pill for over Two years now and all was fine before TTC. Feeling like crap 6 days in. Best get it checked out in case it's a cyst or something. It's just odd how this happened on the first month of TTC. Best of luck to all you as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Myself and my partner have been ttc since November. It's the first time ive been off the pill in about 3 years. I haven't had a period yet but I've been tracking my ovulation with the ovatel device. Last Friday seemed to be the first time I was ovulating since coming off he pill. I'm 10 dpo now and I'm actually disappointed that I haven't seen a faint line as of yet on the tests.. I know it sounds ridiculous, it's especially ridiculous considering I have always assumed I would have issues conceiving (severely irregular periods since I first started getting them and irregular smears for last 3 years)..

still though.. I'm surprised how dissapointed I am considering it's the first time I've tried..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Can I join in?! Currently 8dpo, 2nd month of trying and trying not to symptom spot but that's all I'm doing!

Advertisement