Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport Police Student Officer - Recruitment Campaign 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Another great find!!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Homer01 wrote: »
    Another great find!!

Haha I wouldn't call it great, only looking to recruit 2 people, not really a campaign....

You do a 2 year apprenticeship followed by 6 months at Garnerville, so don't know what would be involved during the 2 years.

Yeah, I saw that bit. Definitely have lots of questions for their open session.

At least the salary will be 'above the National Minimum Wage' lol

Yeah, I saw that bit. Definitely have lots of questions for their open session.

At least the salary will be 'above the National Minimum Wage' lol

Haha, I wonder by how much.

Also the section about the job only being contracted over the training programme and that any job after is subject to vacancies. I can't imagine they would spend 2+ years training recruits just to tell them to jog on.

I don't understand why they require full colour vision either, do they expect much bomb disposal being performed in daily duties? It's the same with Airport Fire Brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Haha, I wonder by how much.
    I don't understand why they require full colour vision either, do they expect much bomb disposal being performed in daily duties? It's the same with Airport Fire Brigade.

I'm wondering this myself, means I'm unable to apply. Strange how Met officers who police Heathrow don't require this...

This happened in Scotland:
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/362005/police-scotland-reverse-ban-colour-blind-officers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

D4z wrote: »
    I'm wondering this myself, means I'm unable to apply. Strange how Met officers who police Heathrow don't require this...

/[/url]

The met could do with a few colour blind officers too!

This happened in Scotland:
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/362005/police-scotland-reverse-ban-colour-blind-officers/

I think it should be down to each individual case, taking into account type of colourblindness and how severe it is.

I was diagnosed as colour blind as a child but passed(ironically with flying colours) the PSNI test at the medical.

I think it should be down to each individual case, taking into account type of colourblindness and how severe it is.

I was diagnosed as colour blind as a child but passed(ironically with flying colours) the PSNI test at the medical.

Out of curiosity, what colour blind test was involved in the PSNI test? I read online they do some university test and not those colour dot drawings with the number inside?

Out of curiosity, what colour blind test was involved in the PSNI test? I read online they do some university test and not those colour dot drawings with the number inside?

It's not the dots test. I had never taken the one they used before.

Just a book with several squares of a particular colour with one being slightly different and you have to point out which one it is.

I thought that if I were to fail on the medical it would be down to colourblindness but was lucky enough to pass.

Anyone apply for this?

• Advertisement

There was about 100 people at the information session today.
    There must've been someone else from here.

I went today. I discussed their reasoning behind the full colour vision requirement, was told to apply anyway as the main reason was for driving on the runway and being able to see the lights on there.

Seemed promising, although the event was a waste of time.

So glad you said that. It seemed very disjointed; talked more about their company values and mission statement than anything else.

Not sure about this one. If selected you do some basic police training with PSNI and the rest in house. You are then a probation officer for two years; AFTER that you then do your 22 weeks in Garnerville. Sounds a bit upside down to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

It was due to start at five, if I remember rightly it was over short after 5, complete joke having it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UsidoreTheBlue

Homer01 wrote:
    There was about 100 people at the information session today. There must've been someone else from here.

Yep. I wasn't too impressed. It's getting a bit concerning how evasive they are around the payscale. I have two kids and a mortgage, so it's kind of important for me to get a bit of an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

I was there myself, was a total waste of an hour long journey! An online application would have been so much easier, don't exactly understand about garnerville being after the 2 year probation myself!

What was said re salary?
    They must have an idea of what they want to pay based on student officers in other forces local and mainland.

What was said re salary?
    They must have an idea of what they want to pay based on student officers in other forces local and mainland.

Nothing was said about it, I assume that will be discussed at interview! Honestly not sure what I make of it!

I was there myself, was a total waste of an hour long journey! An online application would have been so much easier, don't exactly understand about garnerville being after the 2 year probation myself!

Pmac773 wrote: »

If it was just an online application more people would have applied, I'm not sure how many sessions of the event they're having but the one I was at didn't have many people. I assume attending the event shows you're more keen than just completing an application and that is who they want?

I'm on the same boat as you on GV.

• Advertisement

If it was just an online application more people would have applied, I'm not sure how many sessions of the event they're having but the one I was at didn't have many people. I assume attending the event shows you're more keen than just completing an application and that is who they want?

I'm on the same boat as you on GV.

They were holding 2 sessions from what I'm aware of! I wonder is it possible to get a transfer to the PSNI after the 2 years and on successful completion of garnerville? Cause I assume they go through it with a squad of PSNI recruits?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭pingu2008

The Police Service does not normally have a direct transfer mechanism at the rank of Constable because of the current temporary legislation governing appointment to the Service at this rank ("50/50" as per paragraph 46 (1) of the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000), but serving officers can, and do, apply through the external recruitment process.

If successful, training is condensed and service is usually carried forward from the previous force.

It should be noted that the Police Service has on occasions in the past sought 'set-aside' to this legislation to allow direct recruitment of Detective Constables from the United Kingdom to address an exceptional organisational skills shortage in this area. When such processes occur they are advertised in national police publications, however there are no plans to repeat this process in the short term.

This job at the airport is for a private police force you are only a constable within the airport lands and property once your off duty you go back to being an ordinary Joe soap where as if a member of the psni your always a constable on or off duty, this job your basically a special constable and could not transfer unless you do the whole recruit course with the psni

pingu2008 wrote: »
    The Police Service does not normally have a direct transfer mechanism at the rank of Constable because of the current temporary legislation governing appointment to the Service at this rank ("50/50" as per paragraph 46 (1) of the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000), but serving officers can, and do, apply through the external recruitment process.

The PSNI aren't currently carrying out 50:50 recruitment.

pingu2008 wrote: »
    could not transfer unless you do the whole recruit course with the psni

Afaik you're unable to transfer unless you're a high ranking officer, however more on the point on the training.. if given this role you would attend GV along with PSNI recruits and complete 22 weeks there with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Afaik you're unable to transfer unless you're a high ranking officer, however more on the point on the training.. if given this role you would attend GV along with PSNI recruits and complete 22 weeks there with them.

As far as I'm aware there is currently a lady in GV doing this. Makes sense now. I didn't understand it before

Can't be BIA police. The sergeant at the session said this was there first recruitment in a very long time.

Maybe from BHP as they had an intake a few years ago.

On a side note the PSNI do have the best looking uniform and that includes any mainland force :D

Did anyone apply for this and hear anything about their application? I sent mine in but didn't get any response to even say it was received.

Did anyone apply for this and hear anything about their application? I sent mine in but didn't get any response to even say it was received.

I'm the same, when it was for the fire service apprenticeship they didn't sent us anything to let us know. No news is good news!

Got the shortlisted letter today.

• Advertisement

Got the shortlisted letter today.

Yea sames

Advertisement