Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone hear Evelyn on Christmas Day Radio1 ~1250?
    She was waffling on and then said "I've run out of time to do the coastal reports, but have a happy Christmas" :eek:

This is probably in the wrong thread (but I can't see a 'general chat' thread, so this seems to be the closest thing?) but does anyone have any idea what kind of summer we're gonna be in for this year?

I know it's a few months away (if we get one!), so not expecting details like an hourly forecast :P But was wondering if all the storms that are happening at the moment might mean anything long term in terms of whether or not our summer will be a washout out or not? I flick in and out of the weather forum a fair bit, but i've no knowledge of it. (ie; the graphs that are posted regularly are like a different language to me, despite most on here kinda knowing what's going on in them). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

The direct answer is

a; current storms are no indicators of what is likely for the Irish summer
    b; there is little if any information currently available that would give you any useful information as to what th esummer might be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭highdef

does anyone have any idea what kind of summer we're gonna be in for this year?

Summer this year is over for several months now, I'm sorry to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Anyone notice the Met.ie website being very slow to load today? I'm waiting ages for the radar to refresh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone notice the Met.ie website being very slow to load today? I'm waiting ages for the radar to refresh.

It's loading fine for me - try clearing your cache/cookies and see if that helps.

Lumi wrote: »
    It's loading fine for me - try clearing your cache/cookies and see if that helps.

Seems quicker to load now. (Cleared cookies/Cashe in Firefox) Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone have any idea what this long range forecast system is meant to be?
    Minister Harris also said that the Cabinet is due to approve the introduction of a new long-range weather-forecasting system when it meets tomorrow afternoon.

He said the system will ensure the Government has the most accurate forecasts - but it will take several months to put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Villain wrote: »
    I've only ever heard Met Eireann being adamant that they can only accurately forecast a week ahead - 10 days if you push it - after that they're really only guessing.

So fascinated to see what this will be about. Maybe it's a flood-forecasting system of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Seeing as the idea came up at such short notice I'd doubt they've fully thought it through yet. Will probably be along the lines of if we get a wet spell of weather then your area is more at risk etc. Can't see it meaning Met Eireann are suddenly going to start issuing seasonal forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

My best guess is that Met Eireann will begin to fully roll out the use of the extended range ECMWF forecast suite.

This includes comprehensive details of the weather in the coming 4 weeks, released twice weekly.

They also offer Seasonal forecasts.

Hopefully it means that Met Eireann can hire a specific Long Range Forecaster or 5 and take full advantage of the governments pledge ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Hopefully it means that Met Eireann can hire a specific Long Range Forecaster or 5 and take full advantage of the governments pledge ;)

Would you be in the market for such a job?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Long term flood forecast system. My guess would be something like a system that sends our early warnings for rainfall to relative agencies based on ECMWF data.
    A long term flood forecasting system, proposed by the Office of Public Works and the Department of the Environment, which was approved in principle by the Cabinet before Christmas, will also be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id do the job for nothing. I spend my whole life trying to issue long range weather forecasts.....

Like we all do

Perhaps they should just hire all of us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Word has it they have made a deal with the Postman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So is it going to be long range weather forecasting or long term flood forecasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No details were announced that I saw

Met E are looking for 15 new employees...some of you might get lucky!

It says the 15 will be employed by ME and the OPW.....not sure why the OPW needs meteorologists...

(Given that ME exists)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It says the 15 will be employed by ME and the OPW.....not sure why the OPW needs meteorologists...

(Given that ME exists)

Didn't they hire c. 15 people recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

(Given that ME exists)

I guess this is to do with the long range flood forecasting? The request for that came from the OPW I believe.

• Advertisement

Didn't they hire c. 15 people recently?

Maybe we are talking about the same 15? :confused:

(This is my source http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storms/the-coalitions-12point-plan-for-floods-34342626.html )
    2 Flood forecasting unit to be established
    The unit, which will be jointly run by Met Éireann and the OPW, is to be used to provide long term weather forecasts for periods in excess of 20 days. An additional 15 staff will be hired, but the unit is unlikely to be in operation for at least two years.

I've just noticed the "two years" bit.

That doesn't make it sound very serious, does it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

ME sought a Head of Climatology and 8 Meteorologists last year, mostly to fill vacancies I suspect.

They are currently recruiting a Head of Aviation Services

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

The idea of a joint authority sounds ominous.

The previous Government set up various studies, reports and responses to previous severe flooding and gave OPW the lead role

They focused on hard engineering responses (their forte) and despite some initial ME input, medium/long range forecasting was ignored; no sharing with OPW!

Why the need for joint control?

As far as I know ME supplies a coastal flood warning service to DCC, Fingal and Dublin South County without the need for joint control. I assume they agreed with the CCs what outputs/inputs they needed and now they supply them to the CCs flood response decision system.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

On the Met Eireann weather forecast at 12.55 today it was announced that we could expect the " first dusting " of snow this Winter to arrive on the Wicklow mountains tonight.
    If the forecaster had bothered to take her head away from all the high tech equipment and computer screens , opened the window of her office in Glasnevin and glanced south westward she would have observed that snow had already arrived on the hills.
    Some chance of forecasting thirty days ahead as promised under the new long term plan if you cannot spot something that has already happened :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

" first dusting " of snow this Winter
    I'm afraid they got that bit wrong too...there was snow on the 12 Bens on Christmas day

tphase wrote: »
    I'm afraid they got that bit wrong too...there was snow on the 12 Bens on Christmas day

They were wrong even if they referred only to the Wicklow Mountains :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone heard how long Shannon Radar will be down for ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone heard how long Shannon Radar will be down for ?

It's been down a few days now. On the many previous down times they would have some sort of explanation on their website but nothing as of this morning. Very unsatisfactory from Met Eireann.

• Advertisement

It's been down a few days now. On the many previous down times they would have some sort of explanation on their website but nothing as of this morning. Very unsatisfactory from Met Eireann.

Email responses from Met Eireann are generally not great. Over the years I have emailed them from their website over various subjects and the response rate would be 50% approx. Not great in the pr dept.

Advertisement