Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last clergyman to play inter-county hurling/f'ball

Options
  • 31-12-2015 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Taught this might be interesting. Who was the last priest to play Intercounty or Club that you know of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

cms88 wrote: »
    Taught this might be interesting. Who was the last priest to play Intercounty or Club that you know of?
    Plenty current at club level. Inter county difficult one. 1970's I'd say. Played in a club game once where a priest and his marker came to blows. Was gas craic telling our defender afterwards "yknow he's a local priest?".

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Iggy was a priest with Galway at the time...80's I think but probably others after that???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

They certainly wouldn't have been playing later than Iggy Clarke but Limerick had the Fitzmaurice brothers in the 70s and I'm fairly sure both were priests at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Plenty current at club level. Inter county difficult one. 1970's I'd say. Played in a club game once where a priest and his marker came to blows. Was gas craic telling our defender afterwards "yknow he's a local priest?".
    I remember hearing a story about a priest playing in Kilkenny once and he got in a row, took a clatter, and an old woman in the crowd roared "that's typical of ye shower, you'd hit the holy priest!"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ger Brennan for Dublin was close to being a priest I think. Still has a touch of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd be shocked if there is given the age profile of priests nowadays (average age of a Roman Catholic Priest in Ireland is 64) plus the decline in ordinations in Ireland currently.

I'd say a priest/clergyman even at club level would be a rarity these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Would it be by anychance ....
    Fr. Chewey Lewey ?
    Fr Hairy Cake Lynam?
    Fr Hiroshima Twinkie?
    Fr Robula Conundrum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if there is given the age profile of priests nowadays (average age of a Roman Catholic Priest in Ireland is 64) plus the decline in ordinations in Ireland currently.

I'd say a priest/clergyman even at club level would be a rarity these days.
    Plenty as in a few per province and I only mean representing junior a/b. Doubt any at Senior/Intermediate. But you're right the Gaa playing numbers in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Plenty as in a few per province and I only mean representing junior a/b. Doubt any at Senior/Intermediate. But you're right the Gaa playing numbers in decline.

I wouldn't be that surprised if even that might be an over-estimate nowadays - I'd say the number of priests under 40 is fairly tiny currently. Another factor is the age at which priests are ordained has shot up to (I'd say most priests are now well into their 30s being ordained) which is a big difference from the times when you had lads of 23/24/25 being churned out as priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would it be by anychance ....
    Fr. Chewey Lewey ?
    Fr Hairy Cake Lynam?
    Fr Hiroshima Twinkie?
    Fr Robula Conundrum ?

Never played much beyond U12 myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

There was a brother or noviate who played for Meath sometime during the 90s I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Jimmy "The Pope" Keaveney was certainly the highest ranking cleric to play :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

A Kilkenny priest took a wicked whack from a defender. As the clergyman lay moaning the defender comforted him with "get up father and turn the other cheek to provocation as you so often tell us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Fr Peter Brennan won a Tipperary senior hurling county championship with Clonoulty/Rossmore in 1998 when he was 'cc' in the parish.
    As Peter Brennan, he was full back on the Tipperary senior hurling team beaten by Cork in the 1985 Munster final.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Br Séan Kelly, Meath Footballer in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Stoner wrote: »
    Ger Brennan for Dublin was close to being a priest I think. Still has a touch of it.

Football or sanctity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Fr Ray Reidy was born in 1937 in Thurles and played centre back on Tipperary Minor hurling teams for three years being captain the third year in 1955 when they won the all Ireland title. He played on Tipperary Senior Hurling teams from 1956 to 1960 and won an all Ireland Senior medal with the team of ’58.

In 1963, Fr. Ray Reidy S.P.S. Kiltegan and Mill Road, Thurles, was ordained to the priesthood and went on the missions to Nigeria that year. Despite his commitment to his priestly studies, which curtailed his availability, Ray’s contribution to that golden era for Thurles Sarsfields club was immense in the late ’50’s and early ’60’s. Simply, but aptly described by a contemporary as “a class player” and a stylish wing-back, Ray’s reading of the game, and the quality of his striking, were of the highest order. He played with an elegance that was a delight to watch and was widely admired, but when the going got tough he was never found wanting. Had he not answered a higher calling, Ray would undoubtedly have amassed much more honours at both club and county level.

Upon his return to Ireland he served in many parishes in the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore including Kilsheelan, Cahir and Passage East before he came to Clonmel.

Fr. Reidy died on 10 June 2015 after a short illness.

A really lovely man who was fully involved in his priestly duties in Clonmel right up to the time of his death.

Apart from being a wonderful Hurler, in his final days as a Priest he Brought so much care and compassion and comfort into lives of so many through his pastoral work in the Clonmel area!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Iggy was a priest with Galway at the time...80's I think but probably others after that???

Iggy Clarke left the priesthood a while ago, now happily married:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

From a Wexford perspective, Fr.Martin Casey holds the honour for most senior county hurling medals, with twelve won for Buffers
    Alley between 1968- 1992, and an All Ireland club title in 1989. Fr. Dermot Clancy is also regarded as one of Wexford's finest ever footballers from the 40s-50s vintage.

Of course, the current under-21 supremo and former camogie manager, JJ Doyle, is a former priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

From a Wexford perspective, Fr.Martin Casey holds the honour for most senior county hurling medals, with twelve won for Buffers
    Alley between 1968- 1992, and an All Ireland club title in 1989. Fr. Dermot Clancy is also regarded as one of Wexford's finest ever footballers from the 40s-50s vintage.

Of course, the current under-21 supremo and former camogie manager, JJ Doyle, is a former priest.

I did not know that

• Advertisement

Ah, I'm not going to get excited about this thread until someone can cite a bishop wielding a caman. Mitre than Cuchulainn like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I would get more excited to hear about a Minister from the Free Presbyterian Church winning an Antrim County Medal, Hurling or Football in any grade with Ballymena.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Xenophile wrote: »
    I would get more excited to hear about a Minister from the Free Presbyterian Church winning an Antrim County Medal, Hurling or Football in any grade with Ballymena.

If only they were more transparent.

After seeing Iggy Clarke on TG4 during the week was intereting to see how many intercounty players were preists, or at least training to be, duing the 70's. Won the Fitzgibbon and Sigerson at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

After seeing Iggy Clarke on TG4 during the week was intereting to see how many intercounty players were preists, or at least training to be, duing the 70's. Won the Fitzgibbon and Sigerson at that time

Had he a brother Joe Clarke that played with Galway at full back in the late 1970s, correct me if I am wrong was he also a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Honourable mention to Fr. Michael O' Brien who managed the Cork hurlers to All Ireland victory in 1990.

Redmond ("Mundy") Prendiville (1900-1968) won an All-Ireland senior football medal with Kerry in 1924 while a final year clerical student at St. Peter's College, Wexford. He subsequently became Archbishop of Perth, Australia. Now beat that with an All-Ireland winning pope if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

We were short numbers for an intermediate league game about 30 years ago, our pp was at it and even though he was mid to late 50s he togged out and filled in at corner forward so the game could go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Fr Vinny Stepleton is a sub with the Borrisoleigh senior hurlers.
    Fr Pat Barry won an All Ire senior hurling medal in 1976 with Cork.
    Fr Seanie Barry won an All Ire with Cork in 1966 and was one of the best hurlers in the country at that stage before immigrating. Con Cottrell and Joe Kelly were the same in the 40s. Kelly was regarded as one the all time great schoolboy athletes. Bishops Michael Murphy and John Buckley were star Harty players with Farna in their day."Tarzan" Murphy has been name checked as one of Cork greatest ever minor hurlers

• Advertisement

Fr Vinny Stepleton is a sub with the Borrisoleigh senior hurlers.
    Fr Pat Barry won an All Ire senior hurling medal in 1976 with Cork.
    Fr Seanie Barry won an All Ire with Cork in 1966 and was one of the best hurlers in the country at that stage before immigrating. Con Cottrell and Joe Kelly were the same in the 40s. Kelly was regarded as one the all time great schoolboy athletes. Bishops Michael Murphy and John Buckley were star Harty players with Farna in their day."Tarzan" Murphy has been name checked as one of Cork greatest ever minor hurlers

Lot of priests have been invloved with Cork hurling over the years. Bertie Troy trained them to three in a row 1976-78.

Interestingly from 1974 to 1978 the All-Ireland winner trainer was a priest, with Tommy Mahertraining Kilkenny in 1974 and 75.

Advertisement