Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to Conceive 2016 onwards Chat Thread

• 02-01-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hey Ladies,
    Thought i would start up a fresh thread for the TTC group. One of the ladies mentioned it and thought it was a great idea. I am just freshly starting TTC for the first time this month and im very exctied. Here is hoping we have many BFP's and hope we can keep up the support for each other.

Wishing everyone the best of luck and sprinkling lots of "BABYDUST" to ye all :)

Mod Note:

This thread is intended for posters who are intending to embark on trying for their babies for the first time.

If you have been trying for over a year without success, or find yourself facing assisted conception treatment, you may find the Long Termers TTC thread more suitable instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

We have started trying this year aswel :D We started christmas morning:D ! AF arrived the 1st day of 2016! It was late - but we are moving houses so reckon it was stress, as I'm quiet regular. . But looking forward to the next couple of months to see where it leads us.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Myself and the hubby have started trying at the start of December. I was on a lot of medications for the last couple of years which have absolutely destroyed my cycle; last year I had 2 periods in the whole year. Both lasted a month each and I had to get more medication to stop the bleeding. Really hoping we manage to at least get pregnant this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

We are also trying to conceive this year. Very excited. I had surgery last June where they found endometriosis so I do not know if we will be able to conceive naturally but will give it our best shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

Hi all! This is our 4th month ttc! I was on mirena for 4 years so it took 2 months for af to return so feel like we're just getting going now! I starting temping also just before Christmas as I was unsure when exactly I'm ovulating so fingers crossed we get lucky this month! Good luck to you all!! :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Has anyone else tried a Ferning Microscope? I got one but finding it a bit confusing TBH. I thought it'd be a clever way to try and avoid peeing in a cup every day, but alas I think I'll be using the ovulation strips instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Count me in.
    Have irregular cycles and have been charting for the past six months to see if there is any structure to them and there actually is!

Officially started trying last month and was (quite arrogantly) expecting a BFP on Xmas day which didn't happen. I got pregnant straight away last time so thought it would be same again. Hopefully we wont be waiting long for good news!

Exciting times ahead....don't forget to start taking your folic acid!

xalot wrote: »
    I got pregnant straight away last time so thought it would be same again.

That happened me with my son - we weren't exactly 'trying' but we did the no pants dance mid cycle and bam! Positive pregnancy test on the day my period was due (I knew something was off)

This time I'm 5 years older and have had a lot of health problems in the last couple of years, plus the meds I was on made my weight balloon, so I'm terrified my reproductive system is destroyed and it'll make it difficult. There's no way we'd ever be able to afford IVF if it came down to that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Toots wrote: »

This time I'm 5 years older and have had a lot of health problems in the last couple of years, plus the meds I was on made my weight balloon, so I'm terrified my reproductive system is destroyed and it'll make it difficult. There's no way we'd ever be able to afford IVF if it came down to that. :(

Sorry to hear that but there's no point stressing yourself out until you have reason to. Enjoy 'the no pants dancing' :) and hopefully it'll all come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Hi everyone..I'm actually 35 weeks pregnant with my 2nd but just wanted to recommend the clearblue digital dual hormone ovulation tests. I concieved the 2nd month using them but that pregnancy ended in a miscarraige at 10 weeks but after one period I concieved straight away again using the clear blue tests. I'd a 32 day average cycle but I wasn't ovulating until day 18 or 19 so without the tests we would've been having sex at the wrong times.

I know they're expensive if the conceiving drags on for a while but they're definitely great for pinpointing fertile periods.

Good luck on your journies!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know its probably a bit silly but I want to be unreg for this, not many people know that we are trying now and at the moment I just want to keep it that way!

Delighted this thread started, while other threads re good I find it hard to read about people going through IVF and other treatments as I am just not at that stage yet and want to talk about topics that the more advanced people are way past already!

Tyer Monkey, had you tried temping and mucus tracking before using the ovulation predicter sticks? I have just started that and think I have ovulation pinpointed but could I be wrong? did you find you were wrong after trying those or did you go straight to the sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

So, we technically started TTC last month, and period arrived Christmas eve :-(
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's, now mid 30's but have always had very regular cycles.

So, question about the ovulation tests - they are expensive for once off usage, is there a piece of kit that you can use routinely does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi everyone..I'm actually 35 weeks pregnant with my 2nd but just wanted to recommend the clearblue digital dual hormone ovulation tests. I concieved the 2nd month using them but that pregnancy ended in a miscarraige at 10 weeks but after one period I concieved straight away again using the clear blue tests. I'd a 32 day average cycle but I wasn't ovulating until day 18 or 19 so without the tests we would've been having sex at the wrong times.

I know they're expensive if the conceiving drags on for a while but they're definitely great for pinpointing fertile periods.

Good luck on your journies!

Thanks for this info, I came off the pill when we got married in July but only making a concerted effort from December, my cycles are long and irregular, 38 - 41 days. I've been tracking the other symptoms, but can't get to grips with cervical checking (excuse the pun) and always forget to take a temperature so I'm wondering if I'm ovulating later than the apps are giving me the green light for!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

I thought feck it - I can lurk no more!! We're only on our 3rd month TTC ... I'm 36 (37 next month) and he's 39

This whole thing has taken over my brain so much since we decided that we'd try, that it would be nice to have somewhere to chat to people in the same position..... ie I'm trying not to bring the crazy baby talk home all the time - there's only so much my partner will take!!!

It's so strange because I never thought I was the maternal type and now I've finally found the right person and we've decided to try - I don't even recognise myself anymore!! My thoughts are constantly on this journey we're (hopefully) about to go on.

I suppose I'd like to ask.... this is normal? right?!

So, question about the ovulation tests - they are expensive for once off usage, is there a piece of kit that you can use routinely does anyone know?

I got a bunch of cheapie ovulation tests from Ebay - there were 100 ovulation strips and 20 pregnancy strips and it was about £15, plus free shipping to UK (I used Parcel Motel) so all in all it was just over €20 for the lot, which wasn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Also newly TTC after a miscarriage last month at about 6 weeks on our first pregnancy. Currently patiently waiting for a positive on the OPK as I'm not sure when I will ovulate again after mc. Very nervous about trying again and still a bit teary but don't want to leave it too long either. Can only hope we're luckier next time if we get pregnant again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It seems to be all women posting here but my wife isn't a Boardsie so I'm posting for the two of us (though I havnt told her yet), hope that's OK.

We are TTC for our first. We had a 14 week miscarriage in September which was very traumatic for both of us emotionally and of course for her physically too.

Her obstetricion recommended we wait til around this time before trying again as the D & C was quite hard on her so he said she should allow time for her body to recuperate.

We have bought the ovulation kit mentioned above (Boots online seemed to be the best price we could find) so it will be all systems go in the next week to ten days.

I'm frickin terrified.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Can anyone recommend a good app to track your cycle? We'll be TTC later in the year :D and want to find out what's going on in there before we do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It will be good to hear the man's opinion Business Cat! I'm trying not to wreak my husband's head with everything.

We started trying in September. Starting using the cheap ovulation strip tests last month and was so relieved when I got my positive result because my cycles are all over the place. Finding the whole thing really stressful if I'm being honest. I'm a control freak so the fact that I can't even control my own body is really hard.

Roselm, I'm using Fertility Friend and I'm finding it good. I never realised there was so many things to track before I downloaded it!

Also newly TTC after a miscarriage last month at about 6 weeks on our first pregnancy. Currently patiently waiting for a positive on the OPK as I'm not sure when I will ovulate again after mc. Very nervous about trying again and still a bit teary but don't want to leave it too long either. Can only hope we're luckier next time if we get pregnant again.
    Best of luck to you and your oh

Another +1 for Fertility Friend. I was using it for my last cycle and just temping cos I was waiting for the ovulation strips to arrive. It was pretty spot on when it predicted I'd ovulated and also with my period. I was particularly impressed considering my last cycle was 101 days!! I'm not sure if it's still running but they had an offer on their FB page for 70% off the years subscription to the VIP version. I think I got it for around a tenner.

If your cycle is reasonably regular, Period Tracker is a good app. I've used that for years and it was very accurate before all the meds messed up my cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Roselm wrote: »
    Best of luck to you and your oh

Thank you! Fingers crossed for lots of good news to come on this thread

I saw this thread from one of the other forums, and when I saw Typer Monkeys post, I thought I'd echo what was said.I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with number 2, btw.

My cycle varies from about 30-35 days, it can stretch to 40 days.Baby no.1 was conceived after 4 months of trying.After 2 months, I started using the Clearblue ovulation kits too.I'm a bit of a control freak and just couldn't figure out my most likely ovulation days, even with tracking
    apps.I just wanted a fairly certain
    indicator.Month 2 of using the kits, no.1 was
    conceived, she's now 18 months old.

Second time round, we conceived after two
    weeks of trying!The dates barely add up, but I
    must have ovulated early or something.(and I
    know this because we actually stopped trying
    after two weeks, due to job interviews
    etc....couldn't believe a positive result a few
    weeks later!!!).I wasn't using the kits but really, it
    proved to me that my cycle was a bit all over the
    place.I would have started using them the next
    month when we started trying again, otherwise.

They are expensive but so worth the money.I
    went straight to them because I wanted to
    pinpoint when I was ovulating and try then,and
    then if it didn't work after six months or so, I was
    prepared to go the doctor amd see if there was
    a problem.It seemed like the most
    straightforward thing to me to do.

Business Cat....I had a d&c after the birth of my
    first (to remove some remaining tissue).I was
    quietly told at the time by my mother that it can
    make you extremely fertile and to be careful if
    we were having sex straight after our first was
    born.It appears she was right!Mind you, I
    thought she meant for a coupl
    of months afterwards, not 14months
    afterwards.....So hopefully you will get lucky
    soon and have a positive test and a great
    pregnancy.

Best of luck to you all and hope you get the results you all want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Toots wrote: »
    I got a bunch of cheapie ovulation tests from Ebay - there were 100 ovulation strips and 20 pregnancy strips and it was about £15, plus free shipping to UK (I used Parcel Motel) so all in all it was just over €20 for the lot, which wasn't bad.

Are they called One Step?
    They are very cheap - so cheap that I'm questioning whether they would do the job, or whether it's a false economy

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They are very cheap - so cheap that I'm questioning whether they would do the job, or whether it's a false economy

As a veteran of the cheapies, they are very reliable. In fact, I've even used them out of date for curiosity and they've given the correct result. You could always have a back up of dearer tests for a second opinion when you suspect that they might be wrong.

Hi. Just my two cents... Still trying after nine months.

I initially started with the ovulation predictor tests but to be honest it completely got it wrong and I thought I was ovulating a lot later than I was. It doesn't pick up correctly for everyone. I don't think I had enough hormones for it to pick up.I have a very regular 26 day cycle.

I then tried temping and cervical mucus checking and recording via fertility friend. After cycle two I really understood what was going in and it was so cheap and easy. So If you do want to go down the ovulation checking route I would suggest tracking. I wish I started a lot earlier... Or I wish I listened more in biology!!

Just checked and it's the One Step that I've got. I find them good, they've been getting progressively darker lines the last few days, and today some ferns started showing up on my ferning microscope, so I reckon I should ovulate soon enough (although I've been trolled by my ovaries before, so it could be weeks yet). From what I've read from others using them, the test line has to be nearly DARKER than the control line for it to be a positive result, because they are really sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

Hi Everyone,

Back on Boards.ie after a LONG break.

We're trying to conceive but only started at the end of December so I'm waiting patiently for the end of the month to see if anything has happened (which probably hasn't). Cycles are usually very irregular so I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

I'm a total pregnancy newbie even though my friends all have kids. I'm so new to all of this and some of the terminology and abbreviated words has me baffled :confused: (af? mc?)

Anyway, wondering if ovulation strips would be a good choice for me as I'm quite irregular and I'm not sure if I totally trust my little period tracker.

Thanks and good luck!!

Tunage wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a total pregnancy newbie even though my friends all have kids. I'm so new to all of this and some of the terminology and abbreviated words has me baffled :confused: (af? mc?)

AF: Aunt flow/Flo (Your period) Although when I first read it I guessed what it stood for and went for Aunt Franny and still say that in my head :D
    MC: Miscarriage
    TTC: Trying to conceive
    OPK: Ovulation predictor kit
    DTD: Doing the deed (ie sex)
    BD: Baby dance (sex, again!)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tunage, abbreviations arent allowed on these forums but sometimes people post them inadvertently. AF is Aunt Flo, or period, and MC is a miscarriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

Thank you guys!!!

Probably too early to tell but since yesterday I've been running to the loo and very tired. The wait for Aunt Flo (lol) is killing me! We did the deed when my tracker said I was fertile and should be ovulating but it's the first go so I'm not expecting a positive.

It's an exciting and anxious time!

Advertisement