Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billions [Showtime] [** Spoilers **]

• 24-03-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://tvline.com/2015/03/24/damian-lewis-paul-giamatti-billions-series-order-showtime/

Damian Lewis, will play “brilliant, ambitious hedge fund king” Bobby “Axe” Axelrod, who’s on a collision course with the “hard-charging, politically savvy” U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades, played by Paul Giamatti.
    Maggie Siff (Sons of Anarchy), Malin Akerman (Trophy Wife), Toby Leonard Moore (Marvel’s Daredevil), David Costabile (Suits) and Condola Rashad (Smash) round out the cast. (Siff and Akerman will play Giamatti and Lewis’ respective spouses — psychiatrist and finance-world performance coach Wendy and former nurse Lara.)

Lewis and Giamatti as leads is win win imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great cast overall. David Costabile makes it a win win win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Showtime have released the first episode for free on there streaming site.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

Have you got a link to that? I don't see it on their website (just the tailers etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Probably restricted by region.

Have you got a link to that? I don't see it on their website (just the tailers etc)

Sorry just looked fully at the email they sent me it's free from tomorrow the 1st.

I have Showtime with my Hulu that's why I got the email.

• Advertisement

It's up now.

http://www.sho.com/sho/video/titles/41958/billions-series-premiere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No video has been loaded
    Error Code: PLAYER_ERR_NO_SRC

The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭satguy

Just watched the first episode of this show,, Must give it 10 out of 10 ,, Can't wait for S01E02 ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

satguy wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode of this show,, Must give it 10 out of 10 ,, Can't wait for S01E02 ,,,

Have to agree. Looks like its going to be one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

agree with above... shows lots of promise!

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed it but Maggie Siff really is a terrible actress and she could let the whole thing down for me.

will check this out - will be interesting to see if it turns out to be any good.
    Certainly has a promising cast.
    Slightly ridiculous character surname for the Lewis character - "Axelrod" ?!

pretty good first episode - if a bit heavy-handed on the plot direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Any updates on this? Worth watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

LaVail wrote: »
    Any updates on this?
    Episode 2 appears to be out..
    LaVail wrote: »
    Worth watching?
    Thought the pilot was good.. wait and see i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just watched the first episode.. It's not bad.. Be interesting to see where it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

Enjoyed the opening two episode's. Always liked Damien Lewis in the roles he's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭squonk

Caught the first episode last night. I thouht it was a really strong opener. Gripping TV at its finest. It might be a touch heavy handed but overall as a calling card, episode 1 was definitely a complete success. I'm now itching to dive into episode 2 and wishing I hadn't things to do this evening that'll prevent that so it could be tomorrow before I get to it. Giamati and Lewis are two very strong leads, I think Giamati was the most impressive for me. I was initially worried about Maggie Sif and Malin Ackerman in the supporting roles but both are doing an OK job. Overall I'm begging for more so you can't say fairer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Well, in private yes she is. It's their little game! I thought it was a good juxtaposition, the righteous prosecutor with the kinky side vs. the dodgy businessman who seems to have more conventional tastes.

after 3 episodes it's pretty decent, not amazing. will keep watching I guess.

I thought the pilot was the pick of the crop myself. I thought it was an excellent pilot that set a high standard and I'm not so sure the episodes following have really reached the same level. It's still a good show though. Good to know it's renewed already also.

episode 4.

was ok. the whole thing is very cliched and laid on very thick. mega rich guy - demands loyalty. step over what he considers the line and you're out. rinse and repeat.

ep 5 was fairly decent. not really sure of the whole ongoing thing about the us attorney being into s+m. it seems pretty obvious that Axelrod will find out at some point and use it as blackmail or whatever.

I liked Episode 5 as well but a few thing stood out.

It now looks like a master stroke that Ax has pulled by disvesting the firm of telecoms stock. To be honest he looks like he just seriously lucked out. I thought that whole thing came out of left field. It looks like he was considering bailing but the chat with the Police fund manager and the sheer excitement of being ahead of the game on the Telecoms scandal has pulled him back in. I have to say he comes across now as more likeable than the US Attorney really.

I'm not sure where they're going with the S&M angle! For a guy who is so driven and a forward thinker you'd really have to wonder what he's doing being seen to be enjoying himself at an S&M club. Moreover, I'm wondering what the hell his missus is thinking allowing him to be seen though it appears they both get off on it.

He acted like a total douchebag with that couple. I was screaming for them to lawyer up before I even expected anything but then for him to turn into a complete wanker was not something I was expecting.

In that my perception of him has changed since the beginning. Early on it looked like Ax was the dodgy dealer with the US Attorney chasing him down for the common good. Now, while we do know that Ax is a bit dodgy, he's very much a 'business is business' guy. Yes, he dumped Agent Beeman after Beeman hopped onto his deal but he didn't materially hurt Beeman in the process. The Attorney however is lookling like a stubborn, douchey hardass who is on some kind of vendetta.

finally, I wasn't expecting Malin Ackerman to get her jubblies out. I'd assumed she was a big enough name that that wouldn't be happening. I suppose it's all in the intersts of art at the end of the day!

squonk wrote: »
    I liked Episode 5 as well but a few thing stood out.

It now looks like a master stroke that Ax has pulled by disvesting the firm of telecoms stock.
    To be honest he looks like he just seriously lucked out. I thought that whole thing came out of left field. It looks like he was considering bailing but the chat with the Police fund manager and the sheer excitement of being ahead of the game on the Telecoms scandal has pulled him back in.

It wasn't luck. He had inside information. He met the telecoms company cfo while up at the Metallica concert.

ep 6 - ok.
    it was pretty obvious that the "deal" was going to fall apart or the show wouldn't have anything to go on with.
    the scene with axelrod and the da's wife was a bit weird - again laying it on very heavy with the "trust/loyalty" theme. nice ass for an older woman though!

Whle it was obvious the deal had to fall apart, the DA just pushed it. I know it was a pissing contest on both sides but he'd pretty much knecapped Ax for the foreseeable future. I didn't think he really needed to go where he did. I suppose it does look good that it was Ax who walked and it is all about brinksmanship and manouevering but, for a dodgy guy, Ax is looking a hell of a lot better at the moment than the DA.

This is definitely a better vehicle for Maggie Siff than SoA! LOL! What's this older woman stuff! I'm the same age as her and she looks pretty amazing alright! I did love the tension between herself and the DA. They come across as quite the power couple!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm rapidly losing interest in this. Seems like an endless game of carry and mouse proposed with bull**** jargon.

Advertisement