Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry January?

• 31-12-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So did the dry November but wasn't registered on this at the time but am going to do Dry January as I find it's no harm to give it up especially if it comes to the point where you become more dependant on it. So whose with mean this- can be for health or money reasons, who cares as long as we have support from each other!! May also consider doing a dry February if January goes well but need to see how I go with the this month first.......

I saw the sponsored dry January ad on to where you get people to sponsor you during this month. I personally have no interest in broadcasting that I'm off the drink and try to raise money for it but well done to anyone who decides to make the most of it and raises money for charity while doing the dry January!!

As I really don't like New Year's Eve to begin with, I'm chilling at home tonight with the last glass of wine and starting afresh from tomorrow morning :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ok you convinced me I am in :-)

Lets do it folks, one day at a time, away we go

• Registered Users Posts: 3 malibustacy

realies wrote: »
    Ok you convinced me I am in :-)

Lets do it folks, one day at a time, away we go

Woo now that I have someone else with me - I have to do it!!

I like the one day at a time thing though - I'm aiming for the full month at least but ask me again at the end of the month ;-)

Woo now that I have someone else with me - I have to do it!!

I like the one day at a time thing though - I'm aiming for the full month at least but ask me again at the end of the month ;-)

Well malibustacy I was kinda being funny,I have stopped a few years now but I be here with you , as will others when there hangovers kick in tomorrow and especially Monday, have a read of this forum there are some great posts here that will encourage and help you through this, good luck and don't quit quitting, happy new year to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

So did the dry November but wasn't registered on this at the time but am going to do Dry January as I find it's no harm to give it up especially if it comes to the point where you become more dependant on it. So whose with mean this- can be for health or money reasons, who cares as long as we have support from each other!! May also consider doing a dry February if January goes well but need to see how I go with the this month first.......

I saw the sponsored dry January ad on to where you get people to sponsor you during this month. I personally have no interest in broadcasting that I'm off the drink and try to raise money for it but well done to anyone who decides to make the most of it and raises money for charity while doing the dry January!!

As I really don't like New Year's Eve to begin with, I'm chilling at home tonight with the last glass of wine and starting afresh from tomorrow morning :-)

Phew!
    For a while there I thought I was going to have to start the thread myself:eek:

I'm in. Hopefully a few more will join in like November. I started November but didn't finish it:o but reckon I'm better equipped this time. Why? I've got my new downtime sorted out in advance (I hope).

Found the November thread a great help with plenty of support (including realies^^^!) so best of luck to all with their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm in! Sitting in sober tonight and looking forward to starting 2016 with a clear head and a hot shower.

• Advertisement

First day of a New year, It is a great feeling,for me anyway waking up with a clean sober head and looking forward to a better year than last, lets go folks,today is your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Independent1

Just the post I was looking for. I'm in. Have been contemplating giving up the drink for a while but it just never seemed to work. Decided to have my last drink on Wednesday night and had a dry NYE. There is strength in numbers ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I'm in guys. Over indulged once again at Christmas and have been sick since last Monday and felt like **** since Christmas Day, its just not worth it my body can't handle it anymore. I havent drank since unday the 27th so I've a bit of a head start. I also have a few other health problems that I'm hoping the dry January can ease the symptoms.
    So plenty of reasons also I'm flat out at work now for at least the next 3 weeks so that should help me.

Plenty of motivation and hopefully with the help of this thread I stick to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'm in. I could do with losing some weight, hangovers are getting worse as I get older and it saps my motivation to do stuff. In the spirit of On the Dry I'm reserving the right to buy a day off for a drink with my birthday dinner though.

Best of luck and a happy new year to all here!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

I'm in, too! Didn't drink over at all over Christmas so think I'll keep going with it. I've realised I'm much happier without drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

I'm in too! Did dry November and was grand, but over did in during Christmas. Haven't drank since Christmas night due to the hangover.... Here we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

Count me in.
    Got lots of red wine for Christmas and have drank way too much since the 25th.
    Suffice to say I'm sick of it and my body needs a break.
    Can everyone taking part check in daily and post how it's going for them, there will be tough days and we might all need some encouragement at some stage.

CPL 593H

Taking it one day at a time and putting in plans and past hobbies to get you over the witching hours, which will come,Fail to plan plan to fail. good luck all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm in too. Will be off the sauce 1 year in March and just loved the hell out of my first sober Christmas :-)

Biggest help for me is always to remember it's a choice. I can have a beer or wine anytime I want but I choose not to.

I'm not suggesting this can work for everyone but for me it removed any feeling of being denied If that makes sense.

Anyway best of luck everyone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

I'm in too day three already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DryFiona

Hi all- I'm happy to have found a forum for this ..As you see from my username I am quite confident that I can do this , despite not having had a dry month since the 80s !!! Saying that , it's early days and there are four more weekends in the month ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Welcome DryFiona :)
    DryFiona wrote: »
    I am quite confident that I can do this

That right there will take you far...

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Had a few beers on the 2nd January. Nothing now for the rest of the month.

Will throw updates on here.

Like November, day at a time! Let's do this lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Day 10 here. I started on Stephens Day when I woke up with the worst hangover I've had in years. The quality of sleep you get when you're sober is just brilliant.

Nice to wake up constantly clear headed and free from the dull fog of a hangover.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

cool article here that kind of sums up my own experience of taking a break/quitting alcohol

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-sober-alcohol-drunk-booze-perspec-1231-20151230-story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

bluefinger wrote: »
    cool article here that kind of sums up my own experience of taking a break/quitting alcohol

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-sober-alcohol-drunk-booze-perspec-1231-20151230-story.html

You have to register to read that!

Commentary: What I learned by not drinking for 2 years
    Andy Boyle

Two years ago, a few days before New Year's Eve, I last got drunk. It was the closing night of the Lincoln Lodge, a fantastic comedy venue in Chicago in the back of a now-closed diner. They've since moved, but after that show, I thought I should take a breather from drinking — and eating meat — and focus on productivity.

Here's a short list of what I've accomplished since I stopped drinking:

• Lost 75 pounds.

• Bought an amazing loft condo.

• Finished a first draft of an advice book.

• Started exercising three days a week, then four.

• Went from a size XXL to size Large.

• Performed in three comedy festivals.

• Got an amazing new job.

• Finished multiple drafts of multiple television and movie scripts.

• Went from a 42-inch waist to a 36-inch waist.

• Went from hating myself daily to relatively enjoying myself.

A lot of this is what I externally accomplished, what I can show on paper. But I think that last one is the most important.

Americans are drinking themselves to death at record rates
    Americans are drinking themselves to death at record rates
    I've learned a lot in two years, so I thought I'd share that with you, in case you'd like to take a break from the booze cruise. Also, that's what I tell myself: I've taken a break. Maybe I'll drink again. Maybe I won't.

But overall, life seems to be a whole lot better for me because I took a break. Perhaps it could be for you too.

Things I've learned

1. You don't have to drink to have fun.

What a shocker! As someone who's been drinking since senior year of high school (sorry, Mom, we weren't just "hanging out" in the basement), most events in my life revolved around booze.

Almost everything does: Comedy shows, concerts, after-work functions, meetups, dates, conferences, dinner, museum tours. But guess what? The events don't change if you decide not to drink!

You're still you. Maybe you're more "inhibited," but is that altogether terrible? I've found that when I hang out with folks who have been drinking, I start to feel the same way I felt — in terms of becoming silly, goofy, fun — when I was drinking too.

America's drunken history: From the Civil War to the Kennedy assassination
    America's drunken history: From the Civil War to the Kennedy assassination
    And I remember everything that happened during the events, which is always nice.

2. You have way fewer regrets.

Since I stopped drinking, I've yet to wake up and look at my phone, see something I texted, and go, "Ugh, wwwwwwhhhhhy." I'm in control of my actions basically all of the time.

I think longer before I respond to something someone says. If I'm angry, it gives me time to calm down. Drinking definitely helped my inner jerk come out a lot more often. Now I am better at keeping the jerkier side of me locked up. It still comes out, sure, but at least I have more control over when that happens.

3. People will judge the heck out of you.

This was the weirdest one to deal with. Many, many folks will give you attitude for not drinking. Here are some things I've been told:

"C'mon, dude, just have one beer! It's not like you're going to meetings or whatever!"

"I can't trust someone who doesn't drink."

"You're not fun unless you're drunk."

"When you don't drink, it makes me feel bad about myself, which makes me not like you."

"I can't date someone who doesn't want to get drunk with me, sorry."

I'll bet I said some of these things myself, back when I used to drink — because when you're around someone who doesn't do something you like doing, you can be taken aback by it.

I've had friends who've stopped hanging out with me because I don't drink anymore. I've had relationships end (or not even start) because of it. I have been sent screen shots of people I know talking smack about me to other people because I choose to not do a thing.

It's weird. But it makes you realize the bad relationship with booze that other folks must be having. And for that, I have empathy. And I hope they figure it out.

4. You sleep so much better.

I haven't slept this great since before high school. Man, it's fantastic. I could point you to all the studies that show how alcohol affects your sleep, but hey, take my word for it.

5. You get less sad.

I don't know if I have depression, but I used to get bummed out a lot. There were days when I wouldn't want to leave my apartment, or see anyone, mostly because I hated myself. I don't hate myself nearly as much as I used to. I'm generally OK with my life and who I am. Positivity is now my go-to emotion, even when something bad or terrible happens to me.

It's like I flipped this switch inside my brain: Instead of going to negativity, I try to find the reason something is positive. It's definitely weird to have this happen to me.

6. You develop more empathy for others.

A few weeks ago, this guy blared on his horn because I was crossing at a crosswalk and he wanted to turn, and he almost hit me with his car, then he flipped me off and cursed at me.

Old me probably would've stood in front of him, not moved, taken a photo or video of him, shared it on the Internet, explained, "Hey, look at this jerk who tried to hit me with his car!" and felt smug and wonderful about it.

Instead, after an initial moment of fear and anger, I realized this dude was probably having an awful day. Maybe he was late for an appointment. Maybe he was trying to get to the hospital to see his son who has cancer. Maybe he didn't have parents as loving as mine and that's filled him with resentment his entire life.

Either way, that guy had something going on, and I wanted him to be happier. Then I felt weird, because my brain has been wired forever to be a little twerp to anyone who wrongs me. But now? I generally jump to empathy. I like that.

7. You save so much money.

I bought a condo. I'd like to pretend as though it wasn't because of how much money I saved by not drinking and buying food while drunk, but probably a quarter of my down payment came just from abstaining from booze.

Yeah, I know.

8. You get tired earlier.

It's pretty hard for me to stay up past 11 p.m. most days, even on weekends. When I was drinking, booze was a magical fuel that kept me going, trying to find a new adventure.

Now that I don't drink, I'm not constantly searching for adventure, trying to find one more fun thing that will fill the empty void inside of me. I'm content with what I've done for the day, and my body wants to go to bed. I dig that.

9. You become amazingly productive.

When you're not spending most of your free time at bars, you get a lot done. I read more. I write more. I learn more.

I spend more time working on bettering myself and my skills than I ever would have sitting at a bar, chatting with a buddy or two. I'm much less social than I used to be, but I'm also creating more art and failing a lot more than ever before.

In the end, I know I'm going to die. I'd rather there be a few things of me still hanging around after I'm dead, some sort of personal expression that others can enjoy. That requires me to put in the time to work on projects, make something tangible and real for people to enjoy.

That seems, now, like a better use of my time than chatting with some pals at a bar. That conversation may have been great, sure, but in the end, it dies with me and those people. If I can create a few things that last longer than me, it makes my life last longer. It means I mattered a little more.

I'm glad I haven't been drunk for two years. Sure, I've done a few shots of Malort with people who've never tried it. And yes, there was that one time a dude threatened to kick my rear if I didn't drink that shot of whiskey he bought to congratulate me on "being so funny" after hearing me tell jokes about how I don't drink anymore.

If you ever think, hey, this drinking thing isn't fun anymore, it's OK to take a break. I just quit. For me, it's been relatively easy, and I know it isn't easy for everyone. But just know I've found countless rad people who can have fun without booze. And you can too.

Good luck.

petes wrote: »
    You have to register to read that!

don't think you do, i clicked straight through :confused:

but article is copied above anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Ok so I said I would write up a little about my experience both going dry for November and also for 7/8 weeks earlier last year. I am in no way an 'expert' or someone who would class myself as having an alcohol problem but found with everything you set out to do a plan is best. I am just a fella in his 30's who likes the few pints like everyone else..

To start, each day is a victory or a little win, treat it that way. You have to learn to celebrate these achievments! Take it one day at a time. To look at the month as a whole can be daunting, break it down to day by day or if looking at weekends just break them up individually too.

Look at the month, look at your calendar, take a note of times you 'feel' you might cave. Birthdays, work nights out, girls / boys nights out, anniversaries. Take note of them and then only deal with them as they crop up but do acknowledge them as times you could drink or be expected to drink. There is no point in thinking about a socccer club night out on the 20th and in the back of your head saying 'ah feck it i will just cave now as i know i have that night out...' , you *will* feel differently by the time the 20th comes around.

I found, telling people that I was doing "Dry whatevermonth" really helped, other drinkers are sceptical and may slag you as the thing with drinking around sober people is that it can make them feel uncomfortable. Treat it as their problem. Others may be curious and interested, sometimes even jealous. I tended to say , 'yeah sure im in training at the moment, really putting the work in and don't want to spoil it with drink...'
    Get your partner on board from the get-go. This is essential. They don't have to give up drink but explain it to them why you are doing it and that sure 'you'll have a taxi service for the month, oh and maybe we can now go to that restaurant in town hassle free...'

Put in place measures that make you stick to your guns. Drive to an event is the best one. Don't get in rounds, go up to the bar yourself to buy your non/alcoholic beer or 7up.

I found the key to going under the radar a lot of the time was drinking a non alcoholic beer and find the right time to leave on a night out. Just before people get messy or the urge for you to join in arrives.You will be surprised if you just slip out, saying nothing, no one will bat an eyelid. I've been on many a night out where when i was leaving you get the 'ARE YOU GOING HOME' routine, to which i just usually dangle the car keys and say, 'yah sure im on the dry and driving tonight'.

What i also found that helped was keeping an eye on your progress, seeing how you felt at different stages. Take a note of how much money i saved by not drinking and used it to buy myself something i normally wouldn't have bought, like i said before it is important to celebrate the little victories and as such reward yourself. We can be a terrible country for comparing everything to the price of a pint, but its true. I would hmm and haw about buying myself a coat worth 100e but have no problem going out on a Saturday night and spending 100e+.
    I bought myself new clothes and various bits of technology that i 'felt' i couldn't afford but now had the cash to do it guilt free!
    Plan to do something during the month that you look forward to, whether its taking up a class or eating at an extravagant restaurant you have to drive to (see!).

You need to be strong willed and firm with others, you can be tested so have a firm attitude that YOU are doing this for YOU. I honestly felt a million dollars when I had given it up for such a length of time and there is a certain smugness that goes with it, enjoy it. You should lose weight and look healthier and people will notice that about you and that is a great feeling.

You are far stronger than you give yourself credit for and will be well capable of doing a month...and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Can I still sign up for this?

Indulged a lot over Christmas and so quite rightly I want to give up for a while to jump start my diet again and just generally feel better.
    Had my last drink on 3rd Jan (late New Year's celebrations) so I'm a bit behind but I promise to make up for it if you just let me in!

Of course! :)
    Strength in numbers :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

furiousox wrote:
    Of course! Strength in numbers

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

I was reading about time management over the Christmas. And one method to help you get things done is to use the exact same system you would do as a with a 4-yr-old :)

That is write out the days of the week and then have a maximum of 4 tasks. So 'No booze' is one, and at the end of each day when you achieve that task you put a big black X, Gold Star, Pink Flamingo etc over that day.

Place the piece of paper somewhere you see it regularly and this visual, written down aid gives you more incentive to get the task done than if you didn't do it.

I know that I need all the help I can get so I'm using it. It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you see your days marked off, i.e. exactly like it does with a 4 yr-old eating their vegetables or whatever.

It uses the child part of your brain.

You can also add in, for example, 'go to the gym' and black out 4 days and just have 3 etc,. Add in whatever tasks you need to get done 'study french', 'practice guitar' etc

Very simple but interesting idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 DryFiona

People have been asking me why I'm giving this Dry January thing a go & I've been giving it some thought. I guess I have known for some time that I have a "problem" where alcohol is concerned - In all other areas of my life I feel pretty much "in control" & I am very disciplined where exercise/healthy eating is concerned BUT I just haven't been able to break the habit of "having a couple of glasses of wine" in the evenings until now - Yes I know there will be health benefits & I hope I will eventually sleep better , but for me the main reason is simply that I want to want to take the control back .

P.S "Having a couple of glasses of wine" - sounds quite civilised , doesn't it ?
    What a load of xxxxx - That's how I was describing my drinking to other people , and to myself . Well, "having a BOTTLE of wine in the evenings " doesn't have the same ring to it does it ;-)

Day 5- Still feeling positive about this & glad to have the forum :-)

Advertisement