Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Sport

• 22-12-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

As the title suggests please pop a few sports related pics in here.

No particular alphabetical order or connection to previous pic rules other than the normal keep it clean! You might put a comment in as to why you're selecting the pic - maybe you were at the event or maybe it's something that happened in sport today etc etc

I'll start things off with my favourite ever player

Kenny Dalglish

1660308_big-lnd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

hurling.jpg

Hurling - what an amazing game it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Ur beast
    and the days before health & safety.

Quattro-crowd.jpgcrowd3rally.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Michael Jordan, greatest sportsman I ever saw...

michael_jordan_55183.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I was behind the goals about 20m to the right when this picture was taken. Always loved Zidane. Cherry on the cake when he scored twice in this match.

zidane-1998-goal1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Denis Behan celebrates scoring a penalty for City under a double rainbow in Dalymount Park.

0YrL9.jpg

• Advertisement

Bringing it local ....

A class act, both on and off the pitch.

?width=630&version=579067

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One of the images of the 20th century.

530d3fdfcdbef.preview-620.jpg

John Stephen Akwari, who ran the marathon in the Mexico 68 olympics and kept going despite dislocating his knee just before the half-way point, finishing more than an hour behing the winner.

"My country didn't send me 5000 miles to start the race, my country sent me 5000 miles to finish it."

John-Stephen-Akhwari_630x354.jpg

Nagano Olympics: event winner Bjorn Daehle, one of the most successful and celebrated winter Olympians of all time, waits at the finish line to congratulate Philip Boit, who was finishing last. Boit was Kenya's first every entry to a winter Olympic event. Daehle insisted that the medal ceremony be put back until Boit had finished.

_72474528_new-top-pic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Istanbul 2005...The mother of all comebacks and one of the greatest nights of my life as a Liverpool fan:)
    livcelebDM_468x312.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

On his way to winning gold at the 1983 World Championships. 150 meters out and Coughlin knew he had the title in the bag.

82375_Coghlan-Vasiliev.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The great Jesse Owens shat all over Aryan supremacists during the 1936 Olympics in Germany. He refused to give the Nazi salute and went onto win 4 gold, seriously píssing off a certain Mr. Hitler.

76420_enhanced-buzz-wide-14184-1338493761-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Nalani Miniature Windbreak

The great Jesse Owens shat all over Aryan supremacists during the 1936 Olympics in Germany. He refused to give the Nazi salute and went onto win 4 gold, seriously píssing off a certain Mr. Hitler.

76420_enhanced-buzz-wide-14184-1338493761-2.jpg

And also one of the last photos of Jigoro Kano, the man who developed Judo from traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu. He's the small oriental man in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Michael Schumacher -1991 Belgian Grand Prix.

He took part in his first Grand Prix driving for the Jordan team. It was also the first time he raced at Spa-Francorchamps, so he went around the circuit on a bicycle to get familiar with the track layout.

On Saturday, he qualified 7th which was sensational. Unfortunately he retired on the first lap of the race.

37e43a045713dd0fc4f7180411746167.jpg

In the following year and at the same circuit driving for Benetton, he won the race and it was his first win in F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

'That' line out... 2007 Croke Park.. A day that transcended sport, end entered the history books in so many ways. A true privilege to have witnessed.

image.jpg

irelandvspain1982.jpg

1982, my first visit to Landsdowne Road for a 3-3 thriller with Spain in a Euro 84 qualifier. Ashley Grimes scored the first then Frank Stapleton got 2.

Our team was - Seamus McDonagh (Bolton Wanderers), John Devine (Arsenal), Mick Martin (Newcastle Utd), Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool), Chris Hughton (Tottenham Hotspur), Tony Grealish (Brighton) capt, Liam Brady (Sampdoria), Ashley Grimes (Manchester United), Kevin O’Callaghan (Ipswich Town), Frank Stapleton (Manchester United), Michael Robinson (Brighton)
    Sub: Mickey Walsh (FC Porto) for Grealish 60 mins

One of the greatest ever duels on a race track in F1.

GillesVilleneuve_ReneArnoux_Dijion1979.jpg

What these two guys did in a battle, not for the lead, but for second place in the French F1 Grand Prix at Dijon in July 1st 1979 is in IMHO one of the greatest and fairest pieces of F1 driving one will ever see.

Renault's Rene Arnoux's teammate Jean-Pierre Jabouille won, but this was where the real action was.
    It was the first win for Renault in F1 and it was first victory for a turbocharged car.
    The Renault was head and shoulders over the Ferrari which Villeneuve described to Enzo as a shi*box.

The late great Gilles Villeneuve was one of the best to never win the World title and one of Enzo's most beloved ever drivers.

This was when racing really was racing and wasn't down to pitstops, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

ray-houghton-goal-v-italy-94_zpszp7whwur.jpg

Ray Houghton's goal v Italy in the world cup in 1994.
    It was my first ever holiday so decided to treat myself and go to the World Cup. There was some atmosphere in the stadium and when the goal was scored the place went mental. Can't remember too much of the night though :o

Red Rum, ridden by Tommy Stack, wins the Grand National in 1977

redrunwin_2003080b.jpg

Goal_Mile_Website_Pic_Slider.png

Fair play to anyone who did a mile for Goal anywhere in Ireland today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

smith-carlos.jpg

Everyone knows Carlos and Smith in one of the most iconic images in sport. But the white dude is Australian Peter Norman who was ostracised and essentially forced out of competitive sports for standing in solidarity with those two dudes (by wearing the OPHR badge). Norman knew what Carlos and Smith intended and told them he would stand with them -- he even suggested they share a single pair of gloves as Carlos had left his pair in the changing room, hence the athletes holding up different arms. The Australian government never apologised for, in many ways, ruining Norman's life for standing with the two. They finally issued an apology in 2012, 6 years after Norman's death. At his funeral, both Carlos and Smith were pallbearers.

griot-magazine-peter-norman-funerals-white-man-in-that-photo-black-power-salute.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

?width=630&version=2308729
    Rugby was never the same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

pinksoir wrote: »
    smith-carlos.jpg

Everyone knows Carlos and Smith in one of the most iconic images in sport. But the white dude is Australian Peter Norman who was ostracised and essentially forced out of competitive sports for standing in solidarity with those two dudes (by wearing the OPHR badge). Norman knew what Carlos and Smith intended and told them he would stand with them -- he even suggested they share a single pair of gloves as Carlos had left his pair in the changing room, hence the athletes holding up different arms. The Australian government never apologised for, in many ways, ruining Norman's life for standing with the two. They finally issued an apology in 2012, 6 years after Norman's death. At his funeral, both Carlos and Smith were pallbearers.

Cheers for that, I remember Smith and Carlos carrying the coffin but never knew the full story behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is always the lasting image for me of a dark day from the Landsdowne Road riot in 1995 when Ireland went 1-0 up against England.

IrelandVEngland1995A_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-334727

Other images

IrelandvEnglandFeb1995Inpho_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-334727

IrelandVEngland1995_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-334727

_67572876_fans_throwing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

The climax to a historic and unprecedented season for Man Utd.
    ole2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

the-moment-kerry-has-been-fearing-since-1982-a-seamus-darby-gif.gif

The moment in 1982 that all hearts in Kerry were broken.

Italia '90, Packie Bonner's save and Dave O'Leary after he scored the decisive penalty in the shootout v Romania.
    &MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-140519470.jpg
    _39244755_oleary_gi300x245.jpg

pinksoir's picture reminds me that the story about Peter Norman IMHO is one that should be turned into a movie.

These pics below remind me of some of the few times in the Olympics that Baron Pierre de Coubertin phrase "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well" actually held true.

I rather remember these guys in preference to the drugged up nike sponsored prima donas.

120730035829-olympics-2012-eric-eel-finished-5-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

02-eddie-the-eagle.jpg__800x450_q85_crop_subject_location-490,311_upscale.jpg

61695.3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Speed-Skating.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

WATSON_00004370-001-630x420.jpg

Advertisement