Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best supermarket turkey?

• 15-12-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've not ordered a turkey from the butcher this year, planning on buying one fresh from the supermarket. What are your experiences of turkey bought in Tesco/Lidl/Aldi/Super valu, etc.? Any recommendations? Any ones to avoid?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Went with Lidl last year. The only problem I had was that there were a few of feathers around the legs still in place. Nothing a tweezers couldn't sort. The meat was as good as a butcher bird.

I'm looking for a ham, if anyone can recommend. Going to do the cola ham thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Lidl Turkeys are tasty as are Dunnes Stores.

Still love one from the butchers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My mum has been getting her turkey in Supervalu the last few years, no complaints from her and it's a supermarket she doesn't really shop in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Went with Lidl last year. The only problem I had was that there were a few of feathers around the legs still in place. Nothing a tweezers couldn't sort. The meat was as good as a butcher bird
    I got a free range bronze turkey in Lidl last year and it was great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Dunnes for the turkey and ham. I never shop there, find it far too expensive but I find the quality of these two unreal to be honest. You have to be in early to get the nice Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last couple of years we've got ours in Dunnes and they were good. From what I can remember the Aldi fresh turkeys looked disappointing but I've had their frozen crowns and they were nice.
    Being honest I think your best bet is to have a look around all the supermarkets and pick one which looks best.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Anybody know if you can buy turkeys right up until Christmas eve or do they run out of stock fast? Don't have a lot of room in the fridge to keep one for a couple of days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

macnug wrote: »
    Anybody know if you can buy turkeys right up until Christmas eve or do they run out of stock fast? Don't have a lot of room in the fridge to keep one for a couple of days.

They had heaps everywhere on the 26th last year.

I'll be getting mine on the 23rd and storing it in the shed for a day. Pity the weather isn't a bit cooler, but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Got ours in Aldi last year - the bronze ones. And nicest turkey ever. It was first time not getting a butchers one. We bought one the day they came out and then on Christmas eve they were 1/2 price so we bought another and froze it and had it at Easter and it was equally as lovely as I'd remembered Christmas one. We're planning to do same this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I grew up as the daughter of a poultry farmer and poultry instructress. I would only buy from a butcher or a local farmer. Bronze turkeys will only be different if reared fee range and allowed to grow slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

They're all tasteless and resemble sawdust when cooked so what difference whether you pay 14 or 40 quid. I hate turkey give me a nice free range chicken and day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

screamer wrote: »
    They're all tasteless and resemble sawdust when cooked so what difference whether you pay 14 or 40 quid. I hate turkey give me a nice free range chicken and day.
    No, they are not, you may be overcooking the turkey. Do you brine it and use a turkey bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

No, they are not, you may be overcooking the turkey. Do you brine it and use a turkey bag?
    Any turkey I've ever eaten in hotels other people's houses etc all the same tasteless sawdust. And don't get me started on the big disgusting grey meated legs........ yuck. Might be traditional but I don't get the obsession with this fowl foul. It'll be leg of lamb in my house this Xmas they can keep their overpriced overgrown turkeys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Each to their own I suppose- I think lamb, especially leg of lamb, is disgusting!

Now let's try and get back on topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

screamer wrote:

Chicken? I could eat some chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭omicron

I'll be getting mine on the 23rd and storing it in the shed for a day. Pity the weather isn't a bit cooler, but what can you do?

No offence but from a food safety point of view that's a terrible idea! At the very least try get a polystyrene box and fill it up with ice to put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Chicken? I could eat some chicken.

It's funny though, everything you taste these days, you think it tastes like... chicken :D:D

Aldi/Lidl Turkeys etc are available i noticed in the brochures today from the 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm gettting mine in Aldi/Lidl this year.

I plan getting it Sunday/Monday and throwing it in the Chest Freezer for a few days. I'll take it out to defrost on Wednesday afternoon.

I'll get a frozen one for new year.!

I got a smoked whole smoked Gammon in Aldi this morning. Will boil it Christmas eve and then give it an hour in the oven Christmas day with honey/mustard/cloves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Order a rolled and boned turkey and ham in the butchers, but just seen the prices of the Aldi ones, tempted to cancel the butcher and go with Aldi. Any one have the boned and rolled stuffed turkey from there? Do they sell out fast, should I be there first thing tomorrow morning? Will it last til Christmas in the fridge?

cb123 wrote: »
    Order a rolled and boned turkey and ham in the butchers, but just seen the prices of the Aldi ones, tempted to cancel the butcher and go with Aldi. Any one have the boned and rolled stuffed turkey from there? Do they sell out fast, should I be there first thing tomorrow morning? Will it last til Christmas in the fridge?

Buy it, freeze it and then defrost it in time for the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

We're they not closed on the 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

gowley wrote: »
    We're they not closed on the 26th

A lot of Tesco's and Super Valu's are open on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

First time I've seen a turkey bag mentioned anywhere. I might look into that. I'm presuming it keeps in any moisture so the turkey doesn't dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I used a tesco frozen bird and a turkey bag last year and never ever again to either of them. I haven't ordered my turkey anywhere yet so I think I'll just go for a supermarket fresh. I'll be happy with that. I have a €5 off €25 supervalu voucher so I'd consider there if I thought the turkeys were nice.
    And for the past two years I've oven baked my ham with a helping of cider for basting. Far nicer than boiling and finishing off in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Turkeys in dunnes are usually marked down half price around 3/4pm christmas eve!! It's an annual tradition for my mum (and plenty of other customers!) to hang around the aisle where the turkeys are and wait for the guy to come and put the half price stickers on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

leahyl wrote: »
    Turkeys in dunnes are usually marked down half price around 3/4pm christmas eve!! It's an annual tradition for my mum (and plenty of other customers!) to hang around the aisle where the turkeys are and wait for the guy to come and put the half price stickers on them!
    When security show you the exit I heard fist fights break out in the riot's.

nc6000 wrote: »
    First time I've seen a turkey bag mentioned anywhere. I might look into that. I'm presuming it keeps in any moisture so the turkey doesn't dry out.

I always use a bag...keeps them moist and saves basting !

Advertisement