Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Set of lights out already on tree!!

• 11-12-2015 3:23am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a minor Christmas disaster, one of my sets of lights has gone out. We checked the bulbs and they all seem to be working, we also checked the fuse - all well there. So it looks like they'll have to come off and be replaced.

Any tips for how to get them off with the least amount of disruption? I always put lights on first, then I've got those strings of beads and then decorations. I'm getting a sneaky suspicion that I'll have to un-decorate and then re- decorate the tree!

Aaargh!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was very unhappy with the lights I got this year and when I got new ones, I had to strip the tree and start over. I just couldn't see any other way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Are they that noticeable? Could you leave them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Plug them out.
    Scissors, cut them into short sections and they come off easily.

Do it carefully !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I found it easier to take everything off and start again

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are they that noticeable? Could you leave them on?

They're very noticeable unfortunately :( I got a replacement set very easily for a fiver, but I think I'm going to have to take everything off. They were the white cherry lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My in laws put the tree up and realised they had forgotten to put the lights on before the decorations. They tried to get them on without taking off the decorations and it was a disaster. Loads of decorations fell off and some broke. Taking off the decorations is the lesser of the evils!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I have a problem with my light up presents so figured this was the best place to post. The bulbs have blown. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Can these be bought on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Toots wrote: »
    They're very noticeable unfortunately :( I got a replacement set very easily for a fiver, but I think I'm going to have to take everything off. They were the white cherry lights.

Very sorry to go off topic, but could you tell me where you found lights for a fiver?

My boyfriend and I have just moved back to Ireland and it's our first Christmas in our new house, hence we have no decorations! Adding that to being broke from the move, I'm struggling to get the house looking Christmassy! Putting up the tree this weekend and only have a box of baubles and two strings of tinsel so far, ha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Very sorry to go off topic, but could you tell me where you found lights for a fiver?

My boyfriend and I have just moved back to Ireland and it's our first Christmas in our new house, hence we have no decorations! Adding that to being broke from the move, I'm struggling to get the house looking Christmassy! Putting up the tree this weekend and only have a box of baubles and two strings of tinsel so far, ha :pac:

Penneys have lights for a fiver!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

kitten_k wrote: »
    I have a problem with my light up presents so figured this was the best place to post. The bulbs have blown. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Can these be bought on their own?

I'm fairly sure the likes of Woodies have those in their Christmas lights section, they can be bought in packs of 5 or 6. Bring the bulb with you when you're going.

Home Store and More! Also Heatons have very good value on lights this year. The ones I got in HS&M were these but there's heaps of different sets.

Well I've gotten them up on the tree, I ended up just taking everything off and starting again from scratch. I've a long night of decorating ahead of me, which I'd usually be quite happy about, but the old Christmas spirit is a little thin on the ground in my house; one of our dogs passed away over the weekend so everyone's feeling pretty blue :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Lights are dangerous if your experiencing problems and not sure what to do buy new ones that actually work. It might cost more, better to avoid a dangerous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Easy enough to replace the bulbs even if you can't find exact holder. Straighten the wires out and gently remove the blown bulb from the holder. Do the same with a new bulb and put the new bulb into the old holder, fold the wires up the sides and you should be in business. I always check the sets before putting them on the tree and if a set isn't working and I can't find the reason easily I take all the bulbs off and use them as spares for working sets, doesn't matter if the holders are different if the bulbs are cherry type. Having said that I buy one new set each year, LED for the last few years so probably won't have any cherry sets left in a few years (but hundreds of spares)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh Toots, I'm so sorry for your loss. xx :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

I'm on the hunt for a full set of these for the banisters! I did find that they are actually in a window sign we had of Santa that we put in the window. Check out the likes of them in dealz and see if they're the same bulbs you need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks everyone.

Toots sorry for your loss x

Thanks guys. My little boy has insisted we hold off decorating it again until the morning so that he can join in, so I've had to stash my collection of newbridge decorations up high for the night! I'm going to bring the broken set down to my Dad on Sunday - he's got some sort of mad fairy light joojoo and can always seem to get them working again, so they'll keep him occupied for the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

Happened to me 2 days ago. I cut them off and got a new set on without having to take off any decorations

I think I might have been fine had it not been for the strands of beads. I put them spiralling the tree so we wouldn't have gotten the lights off without wrecking stuff. I've finally got it decorated again, I'm waiting til it gets good and dark, then I'll get some good pics :D

Advertisement