Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GALWAY - Where else is cool?

• 10-05-2003 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Are there any other towns/villages/areas in Ireland which are as relaxed and cool as Galway?

I don't think it's possible; but just thought I'd ask!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

Of course not....... Galway is the best city in the world!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dublin - a hole with the worst scumbags and stuck-up tarts around, becoming very much like London. Everything is waaaay overpriced and the people are cuts, with a few exceptions.

Limerick - a hole with the worst knackers and protection-racketeers, becoming even more of a hole by the minute. The people are just cunts full stop.

Cork - oh sweet jeebus. I won't even go there.

Ballyhaunis - class place, I seriously reccomend the Centra and Supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 claire2003

Thank ya SyxPak

What's it like down the Tralee / Killarney / Listowel way?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Dublin - a hole with the worst scumbags and stuck-up tarts around, becoming very much like London. Everything is waaaay overpriced and the people are cuts, with a few exceptions.

Nah, London's got a bit of culture and decent public transport. Plus you can listen to London Calling and feel really smug about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by SyxPak

Ballyhaunis - class place, I seriously reccomend the Centra and Supermacs.

Are you insane you do mean ballyhaunis co mayo! the supermacs is really really ****e and tbh is there a centra where!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Robbo
    Nah, London's got a bit of culture and decent public transport. Plus you can listen to London Calling and feel really smug about yourself.

London definetly does have culture...
    And the shops aren't half as over-priced as they are in dublin.

In fact, it's a ****load safer than dublin altogether. I've spent many a time wandering through tube stations in bad areas whistling away to myself with not a care in the world. Wouldn't do that in Dublin! Nearly ****ting myself walking down by the liffey at night. London easily pwns Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Hi Claire, I was in Killareny in March and I thought it was a great spot :) Really laid back and everybody was so friendly!! Had a brilliant time. Hope to go down again soon for a weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 claire2003

thanks misswex

anyone have any opinions about Cork city?

Is it as laid-back a place as Galway (and maybe Killarney) or is it more hectic like Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by Asok
    Are you insane you do mean ballyhaunis co mayo! the supermacs is really really ****e and tbh is there a centra where!!!

Agreed Syx if you mean that festering **** hole that smells of dead cows from the factory in mayo then you my friend ar delusioned! (p's' we live 6 miles from it in happy roscommon) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Being a Galwegian myself (23 years...ie all my life), I have to admit it truly is a great place. Not too many people will boast about their locality to people from afar, but I believe Galway is an exception. However it does have it's moments when the "shams" come out to play. When I was 16 I was knocked unconcious outside Roaches (just off Eyre Square) in broad day light. Having said that, that would be the only prominent incident in my mind, and I can't recall receiving any hassle on the streets since my teens.

But on the topic of other places, I would have to suggest Westport (in Co. Mayo). A mate of mine had his 21st there a year ago, and it was the business. The clubs were ****e, but I honestly didn't expect much on that front. Twas a lovely day, sun shining, and we arrived down there @ about 5pm. We drank in the Jester, or should I say, just ouside the jester, on the street. The front of the pub hosts massive doors (the width of the front) which can be folded back, removing the barrier between pub & street. On a fine day this is a good thing. Anyway we visited a few more places before the night was out.

On the night, I don't even recall seeing trouble of any calibre. Everything was easygoing.

Now I have heard stories of happenings in Westport, but from my one time drinking there, it has left me with some decent memories. Castlebar isn't a bad spot either. It has a few decent venues, and many ****e ones. But weekend life down there is full of kids bushing, and general muppetry. My mates from Galway, still make jokes about how all the young people hang out in the archways along main st. It's like a custom, or perhaps cult (you decide) ;)

But as a town in general, I'd give it the thumbs up before down, but that's only because I made quite a few friends there, and good times were had.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement