Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Move to Wicklow

• 08-12-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My boyfriend and I are looking at buying a house in kilcoole in Wicklow. He works in the city centre, and will be going by dart from greystones and l will be driving to Dundrum.
    Just wondering what the general view on kilcoole, and the commute is?. Thanks so much for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

If you leave before 6:45am you can expect to be in Dundrum within 30 minutes. N11 gets very busy from 6:45am onwards. You could alternatively avoid the N11 (especially if it is jammers) and head via the hills: kilcoole>Kilpedder>Enniskerry>Stepaside>Sandyford>Dundrum. The hilly route is about 40-45 minutes but is relatively traffic free apart from a section at Sandyford and getting into Dundrum itself. And it is a much nicer scenic drive.

On this route there can be short delays at the st marys national school (from 8am) and in Dundrum itself.

Kilcoole is an okay area - some rough patches but generally no major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Beware of the changes proposed in the new year for Greystones too - later dart times and longer journeys.

You also have the 84x to consider too but the traffic is really rather bad these days, you need to get on the road early!

I commute from lidl in Greystones every day. If I get the 84x around 7.20/7.25 that has me in work in Ballsbridge around 8.35am
    Alternatively there is an 84 around this time which I get to Bray dart station to get the 7.47am to Connolly. Again this gets me in around 8.35am.

It is quite a trek and a commute but the quality of life around there makes it sooooo worth it.
    Also the buses and trains at this time are pretty reliable. I lived in Shankill for 2 years relying on the 145 and it was ten times worse! Utter nightmare.

If you are tackling the N11 make sure that you are getting on it no later than 7.40am - once it starts creeping up to 8am it is extremely slow.

Good luck with the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

We used to live between Greystones and Kilcoole (Charlesland).
    I quite liked both villages, and there a lot to do in them. Greystones specially is quite lively and less than 10 mins away from Kilcoole.
    But the commute distance really bothered me to be honest (I worked in town too). It's just the bit past Bray that seems to go on and on (especially when you are tired) and the less frequent darts... It doesn't sound like much on paper but when you are doing it every day it adds up. If you think you can handle that t hen go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

We leave Kilcoole at 7am and are in Dun Laoghaire in 35 mins, so it would be roughly the same to Dundrum. The DART from Greystones is reliable, as is the commuter train that incidentally also stops in Kilcoole at 6.48 and 7.44. The station in Kilcoole is by the beach, and down a narrow lane in the dark with no footpath. Fine in summer, not in winter.

The 84x is reliable, but can take 80 or 90 mins to get from Kilcoole to the city centre.

The village itself is lovely, been there 15 years now and wouldn't consider moving anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandybear

Thanks for all the helpful replies. They're great. It's been a really struggle for us to make the decision, but now that we have, we are looking forward to moving down there. The distance is definitely a thing, but hopefully it will be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Atari130XE

Hi, does anyone know is the car park in Kilcoole train station jammers in the morning?

Also, how do you buy tickets for the train since there is no machine there?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Atari130XE wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know is the car park in Kilcoole train station jammers in the morning?

Thanks!

There is a TMV and Leap Card tag on/off at the station. The Car Park is tiny but can't say how full it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Atari130XE

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is a TMV and Leap Card tag on/off at the station. The Car Park is tiny but can't say how full it is.

Thanks a mil. In terms of Greystones Dart station, is it hard to get parking there in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thanks!

You wouldn't have a problem with parking as people park along the side of the road leading to the station if the car park is full. It's only a little country lane really, very little traffic and no parking restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks a mil. In terms of Greystones Dart station, is it hard to get parking there in the morning?

there's a large park and ride about 5 minutes walk from the station - I don't think it's ever completely full but I don't use it myself. There's a Greystones/Charlesland board that you might get more useful local info from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Thanks!

Car park is rarely full in Kilcoole. You can buy a ticket on some of the trains, but if there's no ticket checker/seller on the train you can also pay at the destination if you are travelling into Pearse, Tara or Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hubertokeeffe

in relation to the new cherrywood which it is said will be larger than bray (exageration)? what provisions are being made to increase road capacity . travelling from carrickmines to kilcoole (evening time) is very slow. a 3 lane carriageway is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in relation to the new cherrywood which it is said will be larger than bray (exageration)? what provisions are being made to increase road capacity . travelling from carrickmines to kilcoole (evening time) is very slow. a 3 lane carriageway is needed

there is a proposal to widen the N11 between junctions 5 and 7 as well as providing a collector road to close some of the smaller junctions in between. There's no start date or funding for this yet though. There's also a proposal to extend the Luas to Bray Dart Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bhaswar

Hi ALL,

I am interested about this project and planning to buy a house.

Any inputs about the connectivity from Rathdrum Co.Wicklow to Dublin city centre would be helpful and how is neighbourhood if anyone already living around that place.

Thanks
    Bhaswar

Advertisement