Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas TV Thread 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've edited the thread title to make this our official Christmas TV Specials thread for 2015, so all tv specials discussions can go here.

I love Bill Murray so I can't wait to see this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Another well not so much Christmassy but set to air at Christmas Special I'm really looking forward to is;

Can't wait!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aputernut

The Hallmark Christmas movies on TV (can not be beat) and they start Nov. 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I haven't managed to get around to watching Downton Abbey this year (and have avoided spoilers!) so I need to catch up so I can hunker down on Christmas Day to watch the last ever episode!

At least fecking UTV Ireland or whoever the feck is showing it here better have it on Christmas Day. Plus I really hope it's actually set on Christmas Day. The last few that weren't were just not Christmassy enough.

downton-abbey-proposal.jpg

#neverforget

:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

UTV Ireland don't even show Downton Abbey at all. :mad:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

Oh that's right it's 3E or something

UTV Ireland is such joke.

Posy wrote: »

Tv3 have the rights for it but I think they're a few weeks behind.

Loughc wrote: »
    Tv3 have the rights for it but I think they're a few weeks behind.

SO pointless. In this day and age of streaming and pirating they're mad not to show it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Some of the TV websites (e.g. http://digiguide.tv) that look out a month are starting to populate the TV guide for the Christmas Period. Lots of it is still to be announced but given that there is so much on over the period I know I always miss stuff that I didn't spot was on. Therefore I think it would be good to start a thread to highlight the key shows people might like.

For example:
    On Christmas Day RTE still haven't put up their schedule but BBC1 has Madagascar 3 and Brave as their two big movies and Doctor Who is on early at 5:30pm so hopefully they will be a bit more kid friendly than the "Santa is all imaginary" theme they had last year. Mrs Brown's is also on that evening so that may be another special.

On Christmas eve one thing I notice is the popular Carols from the Castle has been replaced with Carols from the Aras so I fear much of it will involve Mickie D reading his awful poems. Over on UTV National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is on that afternoon.

One thing I also spotted is on the 20th RTE have put their "News Quiz of the year" up against the BBC sports personality of the year so Sports fans can binge that night.

Much of the best films, shows, specials etc will be between Christmas and New Year's and aren't up there yet but should appear in the next few days. If anyone spots any gems in there please post them.

So aside from Downtown and Sherlock is there any specials this year ye are all looking forward to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

These days, I prefer US sitcoms to UK sitcoms (even the most formulaic of sitcoms is funnier for me than the likes of Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan) and they don't tend to do Christmas specials, really, preferring Thanksgiving specials (which if you squint are basically the same :D)

The only non-American Christmas specials I set out to watch then are the panel shows I already like. I've not seen a guide yet, but I assume there will be 8 Out of 10 Cats and Would I Lie to You Christmas specials.

Oh, and Screenwipe/Newswipe/Weekly Wipe/whatever it's called review of the year is always good for a watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My 3yo has fallen in love with a new Nick Jr cartoon called Shimmer and Shine and he's constantly asking to watch the Christmas episode. I've looked it up and it airs in the US on the 11th. He can not get his head around why I can't/won't let him watch the genie's save Christmas. (He's worked out that most Christmas episodes of his favourite cartoons involve the characters saving Christmas.:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

corblimey wrote: »
    The only non-American Christmas specials I set out to watch then are the panel shows I already like. I've not seen a guide yet, but I assume there will be 8 Out of 10 Cats and Would I Lie to You Christmas specials.

The 8 Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown Christmas special is on this day week.

Rte have released their Christmas lineup. Good news for Mrs. brown Boys fans. I'm not one though so a poor lineup in my opinion.

http://presspack.rte.ie/2015/12/02/rte-announces-selection-box-of-treats-and-favourites-in-christmas-line-up/?platform=47&start=1448668800&end=1449273599

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Awful Rte lineup. Not one movie or show in there that I thought "ooooh". Tommy Tiernan, shudder
    Hopefully they'll have some old classics on

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jefferytibbs

Rte are really letting us down this year :(

I have to confess I'm looking forward to Downton. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to watch it Christmas night as last year S was so hopped up on excitement that he was awake until 1.30am at which point I collapsed beside him. But I am so looking forward to Edith getting her happy ending as the Marchioness of wherever Bertie's estate is. (That's not a spoiler, just what better happen or I might smash my tv.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm really looking forward to Downton too! Edith deserves a bit of happiness. :)

A Very Murray Christmas is now available to stream on Netflix.

I am very much looking forward to watching this.

For anyone interested the Christmas Soap Schedule is;

Here are times and days of all main 4 soaps

Monday 21st December
    Hollyoaks 6:30
    Dales 7pm
    Corrie 7:30
    EE 8pm
    Corrie 8:30

Tueday 22nd December
    Dales 7pm
    EE 7:30

Wednesday 23rd December
    Dales 7pm
    EE 8pm

Xmas eve
    Hollyoaks 6pm (1 hour)
    Dales 7pm (1 hour)
    Corrie 8pm
    EE 8:30

Xmas day
    Dales 6:45 (1 hour)
    Corrie 7:45 (1 hour)
    EE 8:45 (1 hour)

Boxing
    EE 7:30 ( yes ee on Saturday )

Monday 28th December
    Holyoaks 6:35
    Dales 7pm
    EE 8pm
    Corrie 8:30

Tuesday 29th December
    Dales 7pm
    EE 7:30

Wednesday 30th December
    Dales 7pm

New years eve
    Hollyoaks 5:35 and 6:05
    Dales 8pm
    Corrie 9:35 pm

No ee

New years day
    EE 6:30pm
    Dales 7pm
    EE 8pm
    Corrie 8:30pm

• Advertisement

A Very Murray Christmas is now available to stream on Netflix.

I am very much looking forward to watching this.

A Very Murray Christmas was awful by the way, save yourselves the 60 minutes and avoid it. Watch Scrooged instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc you legend! Would have forgotten the changes in emmerdale and corrie. Woo soaps are safe ! :) yea I know I need a life lol :p

Very dossappointed overall with the film selection on tv. I know I'm gonna sound old now but I remember few years ago you couldn't decide what you wanted to watch there was so much on. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I remember years (and years) ago, the big movie was the highlight of Christmas Day. After all of the eating and the visitors and the hustle and bustle of the day, we'd all rush to have the pjs on in time for the movie and have something from our selection boxes or pass round the tin of Roses and we'd all watch it together. Back in the days before we had a VCR or DVD player and you either watched it while it was on or you missed it :pac: I couldn't tell you the last time I looked forward to any Christmas TV and I'm not sure this year will be any different.

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Very dossappointed overall with the film selection on tv. I know I'm gonna sound old now but I remember few years ago you couldn't decide what you wanted to watch there was so much on. :(

You're not old, I had the same problem last year as well. It's a real shame how crap scheduled tv has gotten. I might not need to clear as much space off my sky box as I'd thought.

You're not old, I had the same problem last year as well. It's a real shame how crap scheduled tv has gotten. I might not need to clear as much space off my sky box as I'd thought.

Haha I know what u mean no need to trawl through and purge the sky box of all the stuff I recorded months ago and still have yet to watch either here me thinks :p really in a time when streaming and downloading is so popular you think rte would make more of an effort for Christmas films. Odds are if a load of christmas films came on that would be the universal agreement on what to watch on telly christmas eve/day with the family :)

iguana wrote: »
    My 3yo has fallen in love with a new Nick Jr cartoon called Shimmer and Shine and he's constantly asking to watch the Christmas episode. I've looked it up and it airs in the US on the 11th. He can not get his head around why I can't/won't let him watch the genie's save Christmas. (He's worked out that most Christmas episodes of his favourite cartoons involve the characters saving Christmas.:D)

Hi iguana the Christmas special for shimmer and shine is on nick Jr on Monday at 4.30pm ... toddlers what can I say lol :)

Also heatons have most of those dvds in stock I got mickey saves christmas the other day was also a peppa christmas special and holly and bens magical Kingdom christmas dvd :)

Has anyone gotten this year's RTé Christmas Guide yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Has anyone gotten this year's RTé Christmas Guide yet?

Got it last night. Not a lot on. Fairly run of the mill standard Christmas articles. The cover is a cartoon rather than a picture so looks a bit like the Phoenix annual. One strange part I read in it was an interview with Harrison Ford about Star Wars. The first question was "So is this the first interview you have given in 30 years about Star Wars". Unless the interview was conducted 3 years ago when the new film was announced I'm surprised Ford didn't hit them over the head with his chair.

• Advertisement

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Hi iguana the Christmas special for shimmer and shine is on nick Jr on Monday at 4.30pm ... toddlers what can I say lol :)

Great I'll set the recorder. He's just been begging me to put it on for him and I've tried to explain that it won't be on for a few days and he just can't get his head around it. He listened then told me to find it on the MBOX (my android box) as he's so used to me being able to play whatever, whenever. He's never had to wait for something like this before.:D

Advertisement