Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas side dish ideas?

• 06-12-2015 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

For our Christmas dinner, I love to have the main meats (turkey and lamb this year) and a selection of 6-7 side dishes as opposed to a 3 course affair. So everything is laid out on the table at the same time and we tip away at it to our hearts content :) I'm a fairly adventurous cook and in the past have gone a bit overboard with faffy long winded recipes (think lobster terrine and home made paté :o ) but this year I want to keep it simple and delicious. I'd love some inspiration!

I have a potato, mushroom and spinach bake that is lovely so I'll do that. Also, aldi have a red cabbage recipe online at the moment that sounds fab and festive so I'll be trialling it during the week. A recent jamie oliver programme inspired me to go out and buy celeriac but when I searched for the recipe online, the reviews weren't great so I'd love a few nice ideas for it as I have never used it before. Ooh and stuffing loaf, has anyone tried making it before? It sounds divine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Chips. Can't go wrong with chips.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Buttered carrot turnip and parsnips make a great side dish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Loughc wrote: »
    Buttered carrot turnip and parsnips make a great side dish too.

Would you mash all 3 together or have them separate? I'm partial to a buttery carrot and parsnip mash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Disturbing lack of sprouts so far. I LOVE sprouts, would have them all year round if I could. Under done, over done I'll eat them all.

Ooh yes sprouts! We've been eating them frozen from tesco since june :D I'm thinking of frying them with onion and garlic. Might even crumble over some crispy rashers at the end when I've taken my OHs portion out (heathen doesn't eat bacon :eek: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Boreas

I recently made candied sweet potatoes for a Thanksgiving dinner with some US colleagues, seriously morish and would be perfect for Christmas I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

With celeriac what I often do is peel it, then grate it, mix it with whole grain mustard, creme fraishe or mayo, lemon juice and zest, grated apple and fresh herbs. Absolutely fab and very refreshing.

If you want it hot I usually do a celeriac and parsnip purée with grated nutmeg, very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love carrot and parsnip mashed together but recently I had a delicious cheese and bacon parsnip mash that was amazing. The recipe called for parmesan but I just used some nice cheddar. Mash your parsnips with milk and butter, add some grated cheese and some pieces of crispy bacon and season to taste. So good.

I also made Jamie Oliver's cauliflower cheese with broccoli. I didn't bother with the breadcrumbs and nuts on top. It was really really good. The broccoli mashed into the sauce just brings it to a new level. I just mashed it in with the whisk I'd been using to make the sauce rather than using a stick blender so there was still some bigger pieces of broccoli stalk in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

How about celeriac gratin? Just like potato gratin, but with celeriac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

sauteed mushrooms with some very finely chopped smokey bacon and lightly freed brussel sprouts ( cooked first)

• Advertisement

Lots of yummy sounding ideas thanks! Bores those sweet potatoes sound unusual and amazing I'll definitely have to try them out in the interest of research :D I might split the celeriac 2 ways between a small gratin and celeriac/parsnip mash. Will have to play around with it a bit first though because I don't think I've ever even tasted it before :o I'm giving the festive red cabbage a go for dinner tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Fancy sausage rolls.

Advertisement