Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

organic farming

• 29-01-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone looking in here into organic farming?

How are things going for you? It's an area l wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about, especially the beef side of things. It might not be viable for a small farmer in the west of Ireland though, would it?

You'd have to be fully self sufficient ie growing your own grain, feeding it to your own bred stock, bedding on straw. ..

Anyone make the switch from conventional or visa versa?

Good to keep all options open ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

with the amount of fert I spread I would never do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

What's the difference in stocking rate towards conventional farming I wonder?
    I herd Glenisk are mad looking for people to get into organic milk too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Don't know much about it to be honist. I would have an interest like yourself. I had a good Chat with one of the nabougers a few months ago. He was one of the biggest sheep farmers in Ireland about five years ago. I would consider him a very good farmer. He was saying he was finding it unbelavible hard to get his lambs to killing condition. I'd love the idea of going down this road with sucklers but I'd say it would be just to hard to make a buck. Anyone know what price per kg cattel are making organic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I should have said he changed from normal farming practices to organic a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Look at last weeks ear to the ground on RTÉplayer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Muckit wrote: »

How are things going for you? It's an area l wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about, especially the beef side of things. It might not be viable for a small farmer in the west of Ireland though, would it?

You'd have to be fully self sufficient ie growing your own grain, feeding it to your own bred stock, bedding on straw. ..

Muckit

do you think its a viable option, would be interested to hear what info you find out, as you say keep the options open,
    wonder how is it regulated and is one open to more inspections, paperwork etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

hugo29 wrote: »
    Muckit

do you think its a viable option, would be interested to hear what info you find out, as you say keep the options open,
    wonder how is it regulated and is one open to more inspections, paperwork etc

Not in the organic, but know a few that are.
    Was quoted:
    Organic AAX weanlings were making more at Organic Autumn Sales than some farmers got with their CHX weanlings.
    I didn't see either animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

micraX wrote: »
    Look at last weeks ear to the ground on RTÉplayer

That was Pat Lalor, he really has made a success of organic farming, grows clover for silage to fix nitrogen in the soil, turns his farmyard manure to improve the quality/ kill weed seeds and now he's exporting his own porridge oats,
    He also hosts farm visits as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

rancher wrote: »
    That was Pat Lalor, he really has made a success of organic farming, grows clover for silage to fix nitrogen in the soil, turns his farmyard manure to improve the quality/ kill weed seeds and now he's exporting his own porridge oats,
    He also hosts farm visits as well

He also features in this video of several successful organic farmers around the country...well worth a look for anyone interested.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M5SsKrTUmRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's usually a few farm walks if your into that , there 's hobby organic farmers,throw a few sheep or rough cattle on a hill organic farmers and then there are the serious guys that could make a go of any farming enterprise...
    if you've got good management skills and dont rely on the meal bag and can grow clover then go for it ...
    In dairying it's all about market .., glenisk are mad looking for winter milk,hard to make money on that and what do you do in summer. None of the
    co-ops ever got in on it, so very little
    scale

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Have a calf to beef enterprise that has been certified 18 years, has it's ups and downs, more paper work, more inspections but the plus side there is a little less work;) except when it comes to weed control:(

Have straw bedded slatted sheds, but fortunate enough to have easy access to straw and the fym is my fertiliser, plus the slurry. Always dig up the straw bed, and heap at the back of the shed at the end of each winter, heats nicely and rots down a good bit which means it breaks up on spreading.

Most are finished off grass, lucky to have a dry farm, and for the few finished during the winter I just have to bite the bullet and buy expensive meal.

Best to finish AA or HE, had difficulties with the LM. Best price last summer was €5.50/kg, and they have to be under 30mths, Quality Beef Assured too.

The OFS pays reasonably well, and I save by not having to spread fertiliser. You need a minimum stocking density of 0.5 lu/ha, I'm managing about 1.1 lu.

Any questions pm me, I don't want to give away too much information.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 goosey5

Muckit wrote: »

I made the switch in 2009! And havn't looked bac ! I grow my own wheat in a part of the country were extremly little tilage is done ! Had 7 acres of wheat in las year got 18 ton off it , sold 10.5 ton for €3800 i keep 30 sucklers with charolais bull sold year old bulls 1200 , beef price at mo is 4.95 flat for o r u grades ! And no probs gettin dem into da factory. They are now doing an organic veal at 8 months €3kg live weight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

biggest issue is the 2 year conversion period. You get all the disadvantages of organic with none of the bonuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

goosey5 wrote: »
    I made the switch in 2009! And havn't looked bac ! I grow my own wheat in a part of the country were extremly little tilage is done ! Had 7 acres of wheat in las year got 18 ton off it , sold 10.5 ton for €3800 i keep 30 sucklers with charolais bull sold year old bulls 1200 , beef price at mo is 4.95 flat for o r u grades ! And no probs gettin dem into da factory. They are now doing an organic veal at 8 months €3kg live weight

did you grow wheat in 2012,if so how did it go? do you base variety selection all around septoria resistance? any weed problems?

conor t wrote: »
    did you grow wheat in 2012,if so how did it go? do you base variety selection all around septoria resistance? any weed problems?

Grew spring barley in 12 , cause the combine man said oct 11 was to wet to plant ! Barley done 2 ton /ac in 12 but as with everyone's quality not great , harvest 11 done 2.5/ac of wheat , tested this years wheat 70 bush @16mo ! i rotate fields , i pick a field or 2 to reseed and plant wheat first and try to get wheat cut in aug and reseed as soon as pos ! Wheat grown on ley ground is easy to grow and nearly weed free , a key trick is to sow heavy 15/16st ac , i also get organic hen manure and plough it down 6-8 ton /ac and in the spring 3000gals / ac of cattle slurry thats all it needs !

Had a small patch of septoria in 11 but 13 clean using oakley seed and reusing for seed !

biggest issue is the 2 year conversion period. You get all the disadvantages of organic with none of the bonuses

Its not that bad , u would do nothing in farming if ya always needed a fast euro! 212€ /ha is good bonus for those years !

Organic cattle sale drumshanbo mart tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3 INOX

Is straw bedding the only housing acceptable, or could cubicles be used for organic stock? Straw would work out expensive round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 INOX

Is straw bedding the only housing acceptable, or could cubicles be used for organic stock? Straw would work out expensive round here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

INOX wrote: »

Main reason that straw is preffered is purely that its good organic fertilizer/ organic matter to build up the soils!

Was on a walk in an organic farm last year and the thing that stood to it was massive grass management. All feilds that could be done were reseeded every 4-5 years and the rest over seeded.
    The reseeding was done by ploughing then sowing a crop of corn(barley or oats i think) then over sown with grass. The grass took care of the weeds as much as possible, then the grain was cut early and crimped into pit to provide the "meal" for cattle and the grass and straw was mowed and baled for silage.

The feilds were then oversowed with a lower rate of grass and red clover.
    The red clover needed serious management tho as it needs to be grazed tight to get the most out of it but if the root gets any damage it's gone..

The red clover awards were also baled for silage, i cant remember the exact figure but i know it was light cuts of super quality and the protein was through the roof thanks to the protein, it left it that very little meal would be needed along side the silage to finish cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

INOX wrote: »

You can use cubicles, you need to have more cubicles than cows, and they have to be plenty big enough for them with lunge room ect ...and have a certain amount feeding and standing space ect ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 BattyJoe

Hi Muckit,

did you ever do anymore about that organic?

im from west of Ireland too, and thinking about getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Anything had a look at this new scheme or any opinions on it. I see the closing date is the end of May.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

goosey5 wrote: »
    Goosey are you still on here, what was organic beef price like this spring?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Open again today for one month. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭eoinmk2

seriously considering it, extra payments are a big incentive. weary about some of the extra paper work/inspections involved though.

any already organic farmers on here have any comments on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    seriously considering it, extra payments are a big incentive. weary about some of the extra paper work/inspections involved though.

any already organic farmers on here have any comments on it?

higher payment is one thing but need to pitch this against extra costs. like straw, organic meal, FYM storage, certification body annual fee. Can you farm your farm without fertiliser or sprays? I wonder could organic farmers be missing a trick here if theres future compensation for highly stocked conventional farmers to reduce emissions and organic already not using fert or sprays. theres is a representative association speaking for organic farmers at the moment, but no website and probably little or no financial backing to have an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Lads are ye allowed vaccinate cows for lepto etc.. And is it true that you get a reduced payment for organic if you are in glas scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

kelslat wrote: »
    Lads are ye allowed vaccinate cows for lepto etc.. And is it true that you get a reduced payment for organic if you are in glas scheme.

If you have lepto on your herd health plan, and theres a history of it at some point in the plan to justify a vacination programme, then yes, its allowed. Each Glas action specifies if theres a reduction in the organic payment or not - wild bird in glas means you dont get the organic payment for that land. the Glas specification doc on DAFM website says what hits your organic money and what doesnt-

Advertisement