Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sober November - who's in?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I did this in 2013 and I remember at midnight when it turned the 1st of Dec and I went in to the fridge, grabbed a can and knocked a third of it back in one go. Was absolutely disgusted with myself afterwards.

Im away on holidays now early Dec and im looking forward to having a few beers when away but doing AF earlier this year for 8 weeks and for November has really changed my attitude towards drinking i feel. Maybe its just old age and me slowing down!

What's anyone elses plan come midnight? Do you think you would continue?

I have to say the initial nervousness and the daunting prospect of giving up drink has turned to one of a bit of pride and smugness as we reach the final couple days. Feels great!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

As much I am beginning to doubt my sanity in doing this in the first place and I am going on holidays, I know that it will be worth it come Tuesday morning that I have achieved this near to next impossible task of not drinking for a month....I will b one proud guy who achieved something that I have not done in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 frutierutie

Well done to everyone whose stuck to it for the month!

Mine lasted til the 26th when I had visitors over and I finally broke. I have to say waking up feeling fresh is a hell of a lot better then waking up feeling sluggish and slightly hungover. I'm not sure I'm going to stay totally drink free from now on but I'm definitely going to cut back on how much I drink and dry and completely stop drinking during the week.

This month certainly gave me a wake up call as to how much I drink without noticing (at home or out with friends) and how much nicer it is to wake up feeling fresh (well fresh-ish cos I'm never going to be a morning person) and not suffering from the night before.

I hope other people are also reflecting positively on the past month and it hasn't been just me.

Again well done to everyone who stayed off it for the month - you should be feeling very proud of yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Well done to everyone whose stuck to it for the month!

Mine lasted til the 26th when I had visitors over and I finally broke. I have to say waking up feeling fresh is a hell of a lot better then waking up feeling sluggish and slightly hungover. I'm not sure I'm going to stay totally drink free from now on but I'm definitely going to cut back on how much I drink and dry and completely stop drinking during the week.

This month certainly gave me a wake up call as to how much I drink without noticing (at home or out with friends) and how much nicer it is to wake up feeling fresh (well fresh-ish cos I'm never going to be a morning person) and not suffering from the night before.

I hope other people are also reflecting positively on the past month and it hasn't been just me.

Again well done to everyone who stayed off it for the month - you should be feeling very proud of yourself!

I lasted just over half the month with no issue but unfortunately fell for the "I'll just have a few tonight" lark. Since then I've been on and off but likewise I at least have an awareness. I'm not sure whether to give it up entirely but I'll certainly be changing my ways.

Well done to all who lasted the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I lasted till last Saturday and arrived on my holidays, and cracked when I saw a cold lager , was almost there but remember life is too short also....made it to 4 weeks though without drink, yeahhh

• Advertisement

We are all a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Whether you made the full month or only part of it, it's great to stop and take stock really and just dry out for a period of time. I wouldn't say i am a heavy drinker but I would drink regularly.

The month off has been great. Well done to everyone who made the conscious effort to give up the drink : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I appreciated the fact that not only did I feel like I was doing it for me, you guys were behind me.

For anyone and everyone who attempted it, I salute you, it takes guts to attempt it.

I forgot it was the new month! I had been drinking for no reason much, made me realise that. There is more to life, November was and is the busiest month in work for me, and it was great getting up early every morning, with no worries other than what the day brought. There were no bad starts.

Also, I lost 6lbs! Yeah... Go me .... With work being so busy, I could not go to the gym, back yesterday, and here was me afraid I would gain weight with no gym!

It's not easy, every day brings it's own Waterloo,

Thans for making me feel part of something!

Whether you made it to the end, or just gave up for a time, a pat on the back to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done everyone , maybe we can try in the new year again for another month :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

realies wrote: »
    Well done everyone , maybe we can try in the new year again for another month :-)

January AND February!?!

January AND February!?!

I find January is a good month, to take it handy after the usual splurge over xmas. Might start a the 2nd or 3rd : )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 frutierutie

January AND February!?!

Always find January is definitely a good month to take a break so will be doing dry January. Not sure if I'll make it January and February but I'm willing to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

Cool! Thread to follow. :)

Keep an eye out, im sure someone will set up a Dry January page if we're lucky ;)

Advertisement