Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you put your tree?

• 25-11-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

For the last few years, I've always put my tree in my bay window. That way, I see it all lit up when I come home, but some small part of me also thinks it shows the neighbours how festive I am :D

This year however, I bought a new sideboard and it fitted perfectly into the bay window alcove, so I'm not planning on moving it. I'm flirting with the idea of getting a 4-5ft fake tree and putting it on top, but there's lot more room elsewhere in the sitting room for a full 7-8 footer, so I'm just wondering where I got the idea of putting the tree in a window anyway - I know my parents used to put their tree at the top of the sitting room so it could be seen from the road (and from space, sometimes if my mother went a bit on the lights).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We put ours in the corner of the room so that we can see it when we are relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

corblimey wrote: »
    For the last few years, I've always put my tree in my bay window. That way, I see it all lit up when I come home, but some small part of me also thinks it shows the neighbours how festive I am :D

This year however, I bought a new sideboard and it fitted perfectly into the bay window alcove, so I'm not planning on moving it. I'm flirting with the idea of getting a 4-5ft fake tree and putting it on top, but there's lot more room elsewhere in the sitting room for a full 7-8 footer, so I'm just wondering where I got the idea of putting the tree in a window anyway - I know my parents used to put their tree at the top of the sitting room so it could be seen from the road (and from space, sometimes if my mother went a bit on the lights).

I used to be the same. Tree had to be at the window. Im sorry but I cant tell you why?? When we moved house it was actually awkward having it at the window so I put it on opposite wall and I have to say Im much happier with it there. I also have one in kitchen as Im seldom in sitting room and missed looking at tree ( yeah I know big kid)... Im not sure if the window thing is for the neighbours benefit or for Santa to know which houses to call to:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Wherever it fits and close to a plug!

We just moved in to our new house his year and I haven't a notion where it's going to go. I want it in te sitting room so I can see it, but it's a bit of an awkward layout tbh... I don't get the whole "put it in the window" thing because I hate sitting in a room at night without the curtains closed so when the tree is lighting no-one can see into my room anyway so what's the point? That and I lived in a country house surrounded by trees when I was a kid- nobody was getting close enough to our house to see the tree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

when my children were young i would have 3 Christmas trees up, 1 in the porch, 1 in the front sitting room, and 1 in the back room we mostly sit in,plus all the lights outside, As the children were getting older it got less and now that they are in their late teens and early 20s all that goes up is the one in the sitting room at the front of the house, which is always left to me to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ToRamona

I always have mine in the sitting room in front of the window so I can see it. I cant wait to put it up this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We've an open plan L shaped living, dining and kitchen. We have 2 trees, one 6ft in bay window and a 7.5ft in the dining room. Both can be seen from outside but only the 7.5ft from kitchen where you inevitably spend a lot of time.

Put mine up today, will post pics on Friday once we switch on the lights (hubby away and he wants to be here to see the kids faces)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I used to keep my tree in the window too think it's just learned behaviour as my mam used to do it. A few years ago we started putting it in the corner near the fire so we can see it light up.

I came to the conclusion that I was only putting it in the window for other people to admire and my tree is too pretty to be admitted by strangers, so my family gets to admire my tree in the evening while we relax and the strangers walking past get a lovely net curtain of lights to admire lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We put ours in the living room, and the location of the plug sockets determined it's position. There are no plugs near the bay window, the tv and all it's attachments uses one whole corner and all the plugs there so it's put between the sofa and the kitchen door where it can access the other plugs in the room.
    I stick battery operated lights in the bay window so at least there's some Christmas light there.

The only thing that would put me off having my tree in the window is that we keep all our presents under the tree, before and after Christmas, aswell as selection boxes and tins of sweets. I would just be a bit uneasy about someone being able to peer in the window and see what's under our tree.... Where our tree is located the sofa blocked the bottom of the tree from view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

In the sitting room, cluttering up the whole room, where it gets battered by my cats.

I will be finding decorations from it in June and July behind random furniture all over the house.

I'd love to have those beautiful glass baubles I see in the shops but with cats it's not advisable.

Worse than feckin toddlers they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

In 2010 we renovated and moved into my grandparents Victorian with bay windows and 10ft ceilings. Christmas was always lovely in that house as kids but I always felt the grandparents 5ft tree was very undersized for the living room but it was the largest they could manage I guess (elderly and ladder ban etc) Anyway I always said if it was my house I'd get the biggest tree that would fit. So when it really was my house decades later, the first thing I did was splash out on a 10ft tree.

I put it in the bay........for about an hour... :D

It was so big that it filled no matter which section of the bay you looked through. Ie. One couldn't see the shape of the tree. It was just branches, lights and decorations from one corner of the window panes to the opposite corners.

I managed to get furniture sliders under the feet of the tree stand and slowly slid the fully decorated 10ft tree centimetre by centimetre across the room to the back corner to the alcove beside the fireplace. Now one could see it from the path/road outside in all its 10ft grandeur and it's Christmas tree shaped-ness. :D

Had it there every year since. Should be putting it up in the next day or three and will take some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Main tree between the fireplace & the tellybox. Small potted tree in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Last year we put it in the sun room, could see it from the road, the room is cold in the winter and keeps the needles in tact, plus we don't have the dogs thinking its a real tree!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

We put our in the lounge room as such, tis a joint kitchen lounge... Was thinking of putting it in the kitchen but it just doesn't feel right..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ours goes in the corner of the living room beside the window. We have to move a big armchair out of the way to make space :o The lights can be seen from outside, but only inside can it be seen in all its (fairly modest) glory :)

Advertisement