Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

Would this be a good option for one person cooking meats, potatoes etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Omega28 wrote: »
    Would this be a good option for one person cooking meats, potatoes etc?

Thanks

Yep! I cooked steak for myself the other day, just boiled some potatoes for a about 3 mins and then threw them into the basket. when the potatoes were nearly crisped, i just fired the steak on top, who lot done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its mainly a meat cooker, any fresh veg would have a bad time in there imo, Ive never even tried though.

Great for waffles, veggy burgers,, bean burgers, chips, wedges, hash browns and that kind of thing though.

Anybody going to try the Actifry rip-off in Aldi next Thursday?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-12-nov/products-detail-page/ps/p/low-fat-air-fryer/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

I would hold out for the January sales and buy the Philips one which most people consider is the best one. Aldi electronics are usually pretty good though I find and it does have a 3yr warranty so could be decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Which one the best for quality wise? I've never even owned a deep fat fryer in my life, but I am thinking of getting one of these for pure handiness and that fact I can have low fat good food in an instant - is the Philips one better than the actifry and if so why? sorry for all the questions but as its quite an expensive purchase, I don't want it to end up like my slow cooker or blender... in the back of a press. Thanks so much.

Most people have only owned one so few can give you a comparison between 2, most seem to love the one they buy anyway, doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're planning on cooking for a large family in one. Personally the Philips is an essential kitchen tool for me from now on, Id buy another in the morning if mine broke, its just so handy and cooks food so cleanly with zero oven taste, Im addicted to doing fish and steak in it. Have a read of this thread and the recent bargain alerts thread for more:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057498608

Theres also an Actifry clone in Aldi from today with a 3 year warranty, no idea what its like but Aldi will give you your money back no questions asked if you dont like it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97629183#post97629183

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

is the Philips one better than the actifry and if so why?.
    I think any time I saw someone who had both they said the philips was better. The acifrys are meant to be prone to breaking down, or breaking parts.

I doubt it will end up in the press I got mine just under 2 years ago, I think I have only turned on my main oven literally 2-3 times since then. I will sometimes use the main oven if someone else in the house has it turned on already
    Thargor wrote: »
    . Personally the Philips is an essential kitchen tool for me from now on, Id buy another in the morning if mine broke,
    +1, and I don't think I could even hold out until they were on special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, and I don't think I could even hold out until they were on special offer.

+2 I'm actually on my second Phillips airfryer right now - couldn't live without it. Probably use it five out of seven days a week.

Had the Philips air fryer for 6 months and I'm already taking it for granted, the only time i use the oven now is when I make lasagna. Maybe twice.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    +2 I'm actually on my second Phillips airfryer right now - couldn't live without it. Probably use it five out of seven days a week.
    What happened the first one?

What happened the first one?

It got dirty. :o

Seriously, it was a state, with burned-in grease being increasing difficulty to remove, the basket was built-up with residue that no amount of soaking with dishwasher tablets could remove and the tipping point was the fact that I was finding it increasingly difficult to cook good chips, so I assumed the air wasn't circulating properly.

Hmm thats not good, I hadnt thought of that, its a really basic design, fan>heating element>basket>airvent so I thought it would have been pretty difficult to gunk it up. Wonder if running a basket of soapy water for a while might have been the answer? Blast some steam through the internals.

Hmm thats not good, I hadnt thought of that, its a really basic design, fan>heating element>basket>airvent so I thought it would have been pretty difficult to gunk it up. Wonder if running a basket of soapy water for a while might have been the answer? Blast some steam through the internals.

Been there, done that so many times.

In fact if you leave it full of boiling water, with a dishwasher tablet in under the basket (a tip I picked up on this thread), it has a tendency to leaver residue around the edges. Which, ironically, are almost as difficulty to remove as the grease.

Pretty much the same thing happens if you leave it full of soapy, boiling water.

The trick is to scrub it while the water is hot, don't do as I did and leave it for an hour or two to let the boiling water cool down.

Does it clean it just with Fairy and water though?

Does it clean it just with Fairy and water though?

Yes, as long as you scrub it when the water is still hot, with one of those long-handled plastic brushes.

I had a terrible habit of leaving the boiling water to go cold. That was half my problem, I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect (but take no responsibility for use) that the Mr Muscle oven cleaner would make light work of that kind of stuff. It does on my oven, which is very similar source - chips, chicken, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i must be lucky as my dish washer does 70c cleaning and every few weeks bung it in to keep it clean when i notice smokey cooking its time.
    different surface on philips than a cooker so would avoid oven cleaner.
    the odd time boiling water and fairy and long handled nylon bristle brush works when needed in a hurry for cooking.

When cleaning I followed the manual. After use pour out any excess grease, then boiling water, fairy liquid, leave for 10 mins then go at it with long handled scrubbing brush. No problems yet, the basket does look burnt but I doubt it can stay pristine forever .

The trick was to set an alarm for 10min cause its easy to forget its sitting there soaking and then you will have to start over again cause cold water leaves nasty crap stuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

holdmybeer wrote: »
    The trick was to set an alarm for 10min
    You can use the frier as the alarm. I have a jar I pour the excess oil into, then fill with boiling water and washing up liquid, then I put it back into the frier and turn it on so it keeps the water hot. When it turns off it will stay hot for longer than it if was out of the unit.

I expect if it was on too high and for too long it would bubble up and make a mess. The black non stick covering in my basket thing is coming away in places, but does not make much difference, stuff is not sticking and its not rusting. It was not from harsh scrubbing.

• Advertisement

If you put a bowl of liquid soap oil into an air fryer for 10mins wouldn't it coat the heating element with it? I just use my phone or google timer for the alarm.
    I let the oil cool down in a bowl then put it into a 2ltr coke bottle with the top cut off to throw out later. Naturally I tie it up in a bag before hand or you would get nasty oil all over the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I cover the base and sides with tinfoil. It makes no difference to the cooking times or temperature and I just throw it out after each cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I don't have an Actifry or an AirFryer yet, but I find the orange Kitchen degreaser in Aldi great. I use it all the time, even on my Motorbike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer - Black £70

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042EU3A2?tag=hotukdealsev-21

2 hours left 60% claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

So whats the verdict on chips in the air fryer?

Some claim theyre as good as chipper chips, others say they are disappointing. I'm really on the fence about getting one.

How are the chips compared to the deep fat fried chips?
    Every bit as good in my opinion, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside!Yum :)

To the person who asked if actifry beats halogen over for chips the answer is definitely yes. The tossing motion in the actfry means everything cooks evenly, you dont need to check on them once you put it on, you just come back when it beeps and they're done. I found the hallogen over was not nearly as nice for any sort of potatoes.
    rubadub wrote: »
    which unit are you asking about? I have a philips airfryer and it is nowhere near as good as deep fat fired chips. It's the main complaint I see online about them, on the likes of amazon.

The name "airfryer" is a bit of a con, it's really just a fast fan oven.

I am extremely pleased with mine all the same.

Doge wrote: »
    Philips HD9220/20 Airfryer Healthier Oil Free Fryer - Black £70

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042EU3A2?tag=hotukdealsev-21

2 hours left 60% claimed.
    Down to £49.99 now, wow, such bargain etc...

The chips will never be as tasty as deep fat fryer or cook as fast but I find the green pack in Aldi come very close 2nd to the local take away style that cook in about 15-20min @ 200. Put some of that McDonnells curry on it tho and its a work of art.

Down to £49.99 now, wow, such bargain etc...

With postage, tax and rate conversion its around €80-90. Not bad but I reckon they will drop more in January.

holdmybeer wrote: »
    The chips will never be as tasty as deep fat fryer or cook as fast but I find the green pack in Aldi come very close 2nd to the local take away style that cook in about 15-20min @ 200. Put some of that McDonnells curry on it tho and its a work of art.
    Thats exactly the ones I just reccomended in the other thread, its like they were designed for the Airfryer:

Rp_Chips_PD7a_67375988b5.jpg

Any of the McCain brands are usually perfect aswell but three times aldi prices.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I tried about 10 different brands in Dunnes, Aldi and Tesco since first getting the Philips Actifryer and found them to be the best with or without the curry sauce.

I don't know if they work well in any of the other brands though.

Advertisement