Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where would you go next...

• 24-11-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭

hi lads - appreciate 5 mins of your time if you have it…

So I'm currently driving a 2004 325ci, it owes me very little, has an NCT, is nicely specced and it'll see me through to 2016 thanks very much. I can keep it until it dies, if I like…

But, I've enjoyed some nice cars over the years, F10 5 series, E92 M3, MKII S3, 335i, MKIV/V GTIs, 630i to name some of the flasher ones… it's been fun (and expensive) :D

My real problem now is I'm 33 now, have a daughter, married etc etc and whilst the 325ci has isofix and is very easy to manage with a baby at the moment, I know it's probably not forever - and there will come a day where I will want something a bit newer. My problem is this though - without a tool that erases memory and the nice cars I've been lucky to have, it is very hard to know what direction to go in next.

I love the 4 series Gran Coupe (and I'm happy to spend 2016 saving for a deposit to do PCP on some sort of a new car if needs be) but you're talking 60K really in an M-Sport. A few years ago, I wouldn't have given it another thought when signing the order form - now I've other people to consider when you're budgeting a hefty monthly car repayment. If I save a decent deposit to get a manageable monthly repayment, I'll probably feel too guilty putting so much savings into a car. A face lifted 2013 F10 would be lovely, but a far cheaper 2011 would be fine too (once it had xenons!). A brand new GTI wouldn't be far off the price of the 2013 F10 and the rates VW do make them quite interesting - but can the boot fit baby stuff. Then I look at the luxobarges thread, see a nice 7 series for 7/8 grand and think, jesus that has every single thing added to it, one would be lovely. I nearly bought a Mazda6 Platinum in the summer. Hopefully you now see I'm all over the shop when it comes to cars. I think I would find it hard to leave the BMW stable but I wouldn't rule it out. 2005 M5 for 20k you say? Hmmm. :cool:

I'm in no rush, just curious as to what anyone else in my position did or would do. I don't think I'll ever be able to happily drive a Passat, Avensis or Insignia and I'm ok with that.

HELP!! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Have you considered a CLS? It's probably the next place I'll go after the 335i as I'm pushing on a bit too :pac:

Massive depreciation is not really on my radar these days (basically what PCP is covering + profit) which is why I avoid new cars. I'd love a nice F10 but feel like they're still pretty pricey for a decent one and I don't like the e60 so that's why I've started looking at '08ish CLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've a 2011 F10 and started looking around at what next to get. I'm like you Mark, I'm all over the place with what to replace it with. Thought about a GTi earlier in the year also but then went off it. I then spotted a 2013 F30 330d in white, stunning car but the money on it is just mental. I didn't even bother going to look at it as I'd probably end up driving home in it. Then I was considering just going the safer route and upgrading to a 2013 LCI F10 M Sport, looked at the figures on a brand new Mazda 6 Platinum too, brand new car, decent warranty and still nice to drive. Opposite ends of the spectrum I know so back to square one now. First world problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

If I had your budget I would seriously consider a Lexus IS300H. Fantastic value compared to the 5 series and IMO far far better looking. The hybrids are fantastically interesting too!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/is300h/used-2015-151-lexus-is300h-is300h-s-d-cork-fpa-171314334095068220

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Didn't know they were in that price range Ded_Zebra, interesting.

I don't know what it is about Mercs, I think maybe it's an age thing that I still don't lust after one because there's nothing *wrong* with them either.

Bazz the F10s are really holding strong, particularly if you go main dealer route. There are a few in other brand dealers with a cheaper tag on the price although the warranty won't be the same and then there's quite a few private ones. They're everywhere though, I'll say that much.

I do maybe 10,000kms a year so I'd never say never to an 06/07 M5 but also would be worried about having one due to thieves coming into the house for keys.

I like the idea of the Golf R but anything north of 40K for a Golf is too much IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

MarkN
    Are you looking to change soon or wanting to save now and working towards a "target" car. If now what's the budget and are you happy to pcp/loan?
    How long do you intend to keep it?

Bazz26
    You and I have uncannily similar tastes/ ideas!
    I have had f10 and f11 520d's and a 2013 330d. Now in gti PP.
    3 series is a big step down in quality and refinement over the 5 so tread carefully. I would actually say the golf is a better or at least equal in quality to the 3.
    Also I found once the novelty of the engine wore off there was little else special about the 3 series once you've had a 5. Morrissons are selling a White 330d but I agree it's overpriced if that's the one you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

I had the same issue (getting on / have a kid / need to grow up etc.) and the answer is a fast estate. Golf R wagon, Leon Cupra 280 ST, focus ST estate, f31 touring (330d, 328i, 340i), Audi S4 touring.

That or a liftback like an A5 or A7 with a decent motor.

I had an e61 530d which was a great family car but a bit of a barge, have an e91 335i now and its great, but rare and older than what you're looking for. Mind you theres an F31 330d msport in Estoril blue in work that has me thinking bad thoughts.

carsfan wrote: »
    Bazz26
    You and I have uncannily similar tastes/ ideas!
    I have had f10 and f11 520d's and a 2013 330d. Now in gti PP.
    3 series is a big step down in quality and refinement over the 5 so tread carefully. I would actually say the golf is a better or at least equal in quality to the 3.
    Also I found once the novelty of the engine wore off there was little else special about the 3 series once you've had a 5. Morrissons are selling a White 330d but I agree it's overpriced if that's the one you're talking about.

Yeah that's the one. Yep going from a 5 Series down to a 3 Series would be a shock to the system. I would certainly miss the finish and refinement of the F10 but my biggest regret is that I have grown tired of the SE look very quickly which is very conservative compared to the M Sport. A bit of extra power over a 520d would be nice too but a 530d costs even more money than a 330d.

MarkN
    Are you looking to change soon or wanting to save now and working towards a "target" car. If now what's the budget and are you happy to pcp/loan?
    How long do you intend to keep it?

No big rush no, I've a few bits I need to box off into next year before I will get away with having anything new or anything 30k plus on the driveway.

How did you find going from F10 to GTI?

I really don't know what my budget is, I'd go to €500 PM on something so that would need somewhere between €5000-10000 deposit. I should have €2-2500 in my own car to sell privately too. If that would get me a demo 4GC then I'd give it thought but I know from getting a quote this year that €5,000 deposit gets a 420D GC SE for €740 PM. So I am probably being optimistic but at the same time, BMW have dropped the rate at the moment to 3.9 or something and I'm sure I could knock a bit off that rate due to repeat business.

GTI is a different animal entirely to the f10. A lot more nimble and and more of a car you drive. It wouldn't compare comfort or refinement wise however and fuel economy a lot worse but it was an itch I wanted to scratch again as I had one years ago.
    I still think the f10 is one of the best and most complete cars on the market.
    This is probably the reason they are so common.
    4 $eries gran coupe would be on my radar too as a replacement in the future but they don't seem to be around and are expensive.
    Audi A5 sportback maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you were thinking about a 4-series the G30 5 series is due early 2017. Since you liked the F10 and what I've read so far it looks like it could be a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Like yourself Mark, I've had the expensive cars - RX8, 6MPS, E92 335i and I now have a 2013 F30 330d and I love it. It does everything very very well and you'll see that in most reviews. The way car design is going, it's probably the same size as an E39 5 Series and there's loads of interior room.

The only thing is that they are very thin on the ground second hand. From what I remember, there's a black 2013 UK import on Carzone going for around 37k. The other 3 are brand new.

Morrison's in Cahir have a 2013 330d M Sport in white but they are asking 43k for it. :eek: Nice spec but too rich for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Maserati ?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Morrison's in Cahir have a 2013 330d M Sport in white but they are asking 43k for it. :eek: Nice spec but too rich for me I'm afraid.

Same as mine apart from the colour and mine has the M Brakes. Double the mileage of mine too!

bazz26 wrote: »

pro nav and upgraded leather but looks a bit "chav" and price is very high.
    I sold my 2013 330d after a year and didn't get much more than this as a trade in at the time. BMW dealers take a big margin on approved used stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Have you considered a second hand Audi A7? I was in a similar predicament & it ticks the boxes for power and spec & space wise for a young family, have to say I'm delighted with it

A7 is lovely looking car too in
    My opinion although Seem to divide opinion.
    Seem very expensive though even secondhand. I think the early ones only had two rear seatbelts also which could be a pain. They seem a lot more expensive than the equivalent A6.
    I saw a Daytona grey one with the black pack the other day thought looked amazing.

I love the A7. One of only a few Audis I do like. Ones that have nice spec and look the part are still hefty enough price wise I would've assumed but Christ they're a fantastic looking car.

330 is an interesting suggestion. At that price for a 2013 though, a new car on PCP might be the same as 30k odd on a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I find the interior in the f10 quite cramped for such a big car. Everything inside is big, the seats take up a lot of room inside. I also really don't like the steering in the 5 series. Other than that it's a great car for eating up miles. From what you are saying and low millage I wouldn't go near a 520d. Get something more special for similar money.

Nice decision to be making though

Cough cough get the cough m5 cough cough

M5 very nice but need very deep pockets to keep on the road apparently.

• Advertisement

People seem to forget that the likes of an M5 are just as expensive to run (and usually more expensive) when they're a few years old as when new just because they're a lot cheaper to buy.

Yes but you don't have the large repayments or depreciation to worry about if you buy an older one. A decent BMW mechanic who does nixers and you can take the edge off, then it's tyres and tax. That said, I've ran an M car before and it's not cheap motoring.

The closest I've gotten to running an M car so far was my last car which was a 335i and by God my pockets needed to be deepened!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Isn't the Golf R supposed to be one of the best alrounders around today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The closest I've gotten to running an M car so far was my last car which was a 335i and by God my pockets needed to be deepened!

Wouldn't have two turbos to replace on an E60 M5 though....:pac:

Isn't the Golf R supposed to be one of the best alrounders around today?

I'm just not convinced spending mid 40s on a Golf is a sane thing to do. There'd be no point buying a used one with the rate you can get on a new one (1.9% I assume).

But yeh, I do appreciate the idea behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Having had an e60 M5 and currently driving a Golf R - the Golf is far far the easier car to live with. M5 is grand - bonkers in fact (the V10 at least) but when you are driving around in one that is 5-10yrs old you always have the feeling that something is going to go pop and it won't be costing you €200 it'll be costing you €2000.

Yes the Golf will be depreciating but you do have peace of mind if anything goes wrong (which it shouldnt). Also in real world conditions the performance gap isn't huge, and at least you can put down the power in the Golf.

Saying that - If you don't want to spend that money on a Golf the best all round solution is a 2-3yr old 330d/335d/535d.

Very hard to find a 2/3 year old bmw 330/335/535 for reasonable money though .
    Sterling being so strong seems to make importing less attractive too.
    I'm mulling golf R at moment but it's 49k with leather and dsg . My head telling me too much for a golf.
    2 year old 530/535 Is 55k minimum and new 5 a year away.
    OP have you thought of A6 3.0 Quattro a couple of years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Very hard to find a 2/3 year old bmw 330/335/535 for reasonable money though .
    Sterling being so strong seems to make importing less attractive too.
    I'm mulling golf R at moment but it's 49k with leather and dsg . My head telling me too much for a golf.
    2 year old 530/535 Is 55k minimum and new 5 a year away.
    OP have you thought of A6 3.0 Quattro a couple of years old?

Test drove the A6 biturbo a couple of years ago. Lovely motor but again rare to find a couple of years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Have you considered going down the suv route? I'm a couple of years older than you, with an extra kid, it's hard to beat the comfort and practicality.

Advertisement