Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Breaking bad

Can we add the following to the first page lol:

* If you are planning on printing all the modules you will need around 200-300 sheets, a few ink cartridges and a few hours to print it (if using an inkjet printer) Don't underestimate the length of time this will take away from your studies. Mallbo recommends to take your own notes instead of printing it all out which might be a smarter move :)

I have printed it all and it filled a whole lever arch file

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

Good to know BB!!

Thankfully I took notes the first time around. Might not be as detailed as they should be, but I can add to it when it reopens. Would not fancy lugging a full lever arch file of online learning around!

By the way, do we get an email advising when the online learning reopens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Breaking bad

Good to know BB!!

Thankfully I took notes the first time around. Might not be as detailed as they should be, but I can add to it when it reopens. Would not fancy lugging a full lever arch file of online learning around!

By the way, do we get an email advising when the online learning reopens?

You'll get access after your induction weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Midgetgem84

You'll get access after your induction weekend:)

Sweet BB

Going to have to hunt through 6 months worth of emails to find my login information tho

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Can we add the following to the first page lol:

* If you are planning on printing all the modules you will need around 200-300 sheets, a few ink cartridges and a few hours to print it (if using an inkjet printer) Don't underestimate the length of time this will take away from your studies. Mallbo recommends to take your own notes instead of printing it all out which might be a smarter move :)

I have printed it all and it filled a whole lever arch file

Sounds like a good idea; not something you can really do at the local library though lol.

Are the online learning modules something that can be used as reference beyond GV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

If you haven't already printed out the investigative interview prereads as part of induction online learning I wouldn't bother. Look it over obviously and make notes but you get another version in GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blui2

Ive a couple of practical questions relating to going into GV as i start in January and am currently trying to get a list together of equipment ill need. i note the start of this thread and its very helpful but i also recognise its many years old now, so perhaps there has been a change to some things:

1) Is it advisable to bring in a laptop for work/study? im a computer geek and would be able to quickly put notes and written handouts onto PDF and onto a computer in date order, by subject etc for future study within seconds per page. Also, can you take notes onto a computer in classes? Make calendar inputs during class, prepare/read notes for classes etc And is there internet/wifi for evenings? Can Personal Hotspot from my phone if not.

2) There seems to be many different opinions on how to and what items are best to, bull boots. Can someone with experience give a definitive list of what contents would make a good Boot Polish Kit?

3) What is the best thing for brushing dust and fluff off uniform? Clothes brush, sticker clothes roller, brown tape etc

4) What stationary items would one need to purchase? And what is the purpose of the "1 ream of photocopy paper" that we have to bring?

5) Does anyone with experience have any tips, hints or cheats re items to bring into GV to make life easier? eg Suit covers for keeping uniform clean, 2 pairs of socks to stop blistering, invest in decent running shoes, thermals for under uniform when marching etc

6) We have been told PE gear must be free of logos of any description. Its hard to get sports wear without a manufacturers logo. Would a plain black T-shirt or shorts or those skinny track bottoms with just a white swoosh or white Adidas triangle logo or white Puma logo on contravene this, or would this be ok? Plain black is easy to get in cotton materials, but not ideal for training in.

7) What would a Student officer wear mostly in the evenings around rec room, IT room, gym and downtime? Shorts and hoodie, trackies and hoodie, jeans and T shirt. Basically v casual?

8) Any other info/advice that would help prepare for entering GV? If someone who has been through GV recently could list an exhaustive list of items to bring in, that would be amazing and would help future recruits find all the info in one post.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hey blui2.

I plan to close off this thread soon, and start a new one for you guys starting in January. I have all the bits and pieces I need to make one relevant for 2016, so just bear with me until I find the time to release a 'Version 2' of this list.

To the Trainer in the Garnerville who regularly views this forum:

I would very much welcome your input on this new thread. You have an opportunity to speak directly to the people you will mould into Constables. Create an account on here, contact me via PM, and we can take it from there.

-Shield.

Thanks Shield, I note your OP is very helpful and this thread is probably one of the more popular on this topic. However it's almost 8 years old and may need updated so I look forward to v2.

I know the work you do here is voluntary but with monthly intakes now for the foreseeable, and lots of recruits with lots of questions to ask on the subject matter, a speedy set up of v2 would be appreciated.

I am literally in the middle of shopping for equipment and essential items for GV including up dating my computer so I have literally stopped whilst I await a response to my questions.

I very much appreciate the effort you put in here. It's been a huge help to many of us. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

blui2 wrote: »
    1) Is it advisable to bring in a laptop for work/study? im a computer geek and would be able to quickly put notes and written handouts onto PDF and onto a computer in date order, by subject etc for future study within seconds per page. Also, can you take notes onto a computer in classes? Make calendar inputs during class, prepare/read notes for classes etc And is there internet/wifi for evenings? Can Personal Hotspot from my phone if not.

2) There seems to be many different opinions on how to and what items are best to, bull boots. Can someone with experience give a definitive list of what contents would make a good Boot Polish Kit?

3) What is the best thing for brushing dust and fluff off uniform? Clothes brush, sticker clothes roller, brown tape etc

4) What stationary items would one need to purchase? And what is the purpose of the "1 ream of photocopy paper" that we have to bring?

5) Does anyone with experience have any tips, hints or cheats re items to bring into GV to make life easier? eg Suit covers for keeping uniform clean, 2 pairs of socks to stop blistering, invest in decent running shoes, thermals for under uniform when marching etc

6) We have been told PE gear must be free of logos of any description. Its hard to get sports wear without a manufacturers logo. Would a plain black T-shirt or shorts or those skinny track bottoms with just a white swoosh or white Adidas triangle logo or white Puma logo on contravene this, or would this be ok? Plain black is easy to get in cotton materials, but not ideal for training in.

7) What would a Student officer wear mostly in the evenings around rec room, IT room, gym and downtime? Shorts and hoodie, trackies and hoodie, jeans and T shirt. Basically v casual?

8) Any other info/advice that would help prepare for entering GV? If someone who has been through GV recently could list an exhaustive list of items to bring in, that would be amazing and would help future recruits find all the info in one post.

Thanks in advance

1. Bring laptop its handy for room, no issues taking notes in class lots of people do it. Wifi in room in evenings etc no issues.
    2. kiwi polish, water and cotton wool or selvyt cloth and hard work. Ones in your squad will show you how to, always someone who knows or ask senior squad.
    3. lint rollers, lots of them.
    4. 2 blocks of printer basically, as you finance your own printing. Basic stationary items, pens, highlighters, stapler, ruler, pencil etc. Imagine college...
    5. none of that. single pair of socks fine, thermals make you melt when marching you'll be told what to wear if its cold. Suit covers yes. make life easier, don't take it personal haha. Bring coffee ultimate life hack, you'll need it!
    6.Yes that is fine, small logos are ok.
    7. Wear whatever you want after 1700. Most wear jeans and t shirt, casual. Lots of different people from different classes and backgrounds so its really personal choice.
    8. Shield is working on that haha.

I am currently in the college at the moment, any questions can hit me up with a PM. Hope some of this helped.

Don't panic there is LOADS of shops within 10mins with basically everything you would ever need in GV so if you forget something or want something you think useful nip out in the evening and buy it. Do. Not. Panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Buy a kiwi shine stick too. Buff them with it before going on parade and they'll look that little more shiny. I've not long completed my stay at Garnerville and the list provided here by Shield was pretty spot on. Other than that, bring a sense of humour and and hard shell to get through the first few weeks. You'll be show paraded for literally nothing and you just need to take it on the chin, smile and say "thank you Staff!"

Thanks so much guys! Very nervous as im sure you were? But just trying to get all the paperwork together and the equipment purchased.

Good to know about the laptop as i use mine everyday and netflix at night in bed to relax when there is some downtime is handy so good that there is wifi in the rooms.

If i think of anything else, ill ask here until the new thread is up and running.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Can I ask folks anybody in Garnerville or out, the pack we've been told which will be with us for those heading in on February does it have a list of what is needed too, this is great by the way on here just curious of anything is listed on the "welcome pack"

the kit list provided is literally the same as the one Shield posted here! Its worth reading few the last few pages of this thread as there's been some good tips posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

Hi...just wondering what the average age of new recruits was?

Iam very late 30's....Would i be the old boy among the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

scuba lad wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine so. There are bound to be a few older folks called through to Ganerville and even if you are, I would say it wouldn't matter very much.

There appears to a good age range of applicants I have seen at various stages of the recruitment process and when I attended the induction for campaign 1 the oldest in the squad appeared to be mid to late thirties.

Even if you are the oldest in your squad there could be older recruits in the senior squads or junior squads coming in behind you.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

scuba lad wrote:

scuba lad wrote:

I am in my early 40s so no you won't be the old boy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

StingrayGC wrote: »
    I am in my early 40s so no you won't be the old boy :-)

I'm mid 40s and can't wait. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 scuba lad

Great news!
    Suppose iam a bit apprehensive about the intense work load at Garnerville.
    Been ages since i was in full time education!

scuba lad wrote: »
    Great news!
    Suppose iam a bit apprehensive about the intense work load at Garnerville.
    Been ages since i was in full time education!

No matter what age you are, what experience you have, GV will be intense and tough. But it's really true when people say to get your head down and get it done and you'll make it through. Never thought I'd see graduation but sure enough it flew in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

So are you guys April or March intake, Scuba and LOM?

Mop a top wrote: »
    So are you guys April or March intake, Scuba and LOM?

March for me Mop.

5less weeks with me, aren't you lucky :P

My loss Mop obviously:)

Ha!!!!!! Charmer

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

I'm mid 40s and can't wait. :-)

How does one go about getting to G.V from Mars these days? Surely it will be a huge "come-down" for you....

How does one go about getting to G.V from Mars these days? Surely it will be a huge "come-down" for you....

Continuing to channel 70's yoof culture I'm also a rocket man!

Anyone watching Royal Navy School on Channel 4?

Documentary following new Navy recruits in their first ten weeks. Lots of drill, kit inspections and of course the odd bollocking :D

Obviously much stricter and a very different environment to GV much still worth a watch. Interesting aspect of the age difference with recruits at 17 and some twice that.

On side note; does GV have squad/class leaders?

Homer01 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Royal Navy School on Channel 4?

Documentary following new Navy recruits in their first ten weeks. Lots of drill, kit inspections and of course the odd bollocking :D

Obviously much stricter and a very different environment to GV much still worth a watch. Interesting aspect of the age difference with recruits at 17 and some twice that.

On side note; does GV have squad/class leaders?

Yes. Your trainers will appoint squad leaders. Class leaders rotate every week!

• Advertisement

Yes. Your trainers will appoint squad leaders. Class leaders rotate every week!

Thanks Mike, good to know :)

Advertisement