Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

GY A1 wrote: »

It's premium but small. Weighs 800g.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

It's new for 2015,so no one here would have used that one before.

I'd prefer one with a wooden handle,least if the handle broke could easily be replaced.

For 11.99 euro ,worth a look at.

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/flash-sale-six

Some bargains to be had.
    Picked up a pair of merrell gtx walking shoes for 60 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

wolfeye wrote: »
    It's new for 2015,so no one here would have used that one before.

I'd prefer one with a wooden handle,least if the handle broke could easily be replaced.

For 11.99 euro ,worth a look at.

I'm not hopeful, it may be a similar design to the fiskars X series axes which are very well made but still not a design I like but I'd take an X5 if anyone was giving one away.

21KI1pfc8WL.jpg

There's one of those romper suit sleeping bags left in Dungarvan Aldi if anyone is interested? No price on it and the paper description is missing off the bag (green stuff sack) so you'll need to get the staff to sort out what price it is. Also check its all OK first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

my3cents wrote: »
    There's one of those romper suit sleeping bags left in Dungarvan Aldi if anyone is interested? No price on it and the paper description is missing off the bag (green stuff sack) so you'll need to get the staff to sort out what price it is. Also check its all OK first.

2 left in Aldi naas yesterday too, no price either

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

Aldi axe
    What's this like

I bought one yesterday.
    I am dissapointed in it. I wanted a camp axe to fit in my day pack.
    It comes blunt out of the pack. I spent half an hour stoning some sort of an edge on it. But it has a wedge shape that's good for splitting kindling but useless for cutting or chopping. I tried to put a point on a stick but had to give up.
    It's a pity as the hollow handle is great, its got good balance and the steel seems OK. The grip is very good. I should have got the fiskars x7 instead.

liamofT wrote: »
    I bought one yesterday.
    I am dissapointed in it. I wanted a camp axe to fit in my day pack.
    It comes blunt out of the pack. I spent half an hour stoning some sort of an edge on it. But it has a wedge shape that's good for splitting kindling but useless for cutting or chopping. I tried to put a point on a stick but had to give up.
    It's a pity as the hollow handle is great, its got good balance and the steel seems OK. The grip is very good. I should have got the fiskars x7 instead.

Why not the X5? It's probably just me that doesn't mind loosing a little be of functionality for a reduction in weight. X7 iirc is lighter than the Aldi axe but the X5 is lighter again.

Why not the X5? It's probably just me that doesn't mind loosing a little be of functionality for a reduction in weight. X7 iirc is lighter than the Aldi axe but the X5 is lighter again.

True the x5 would be the perfect backpacking axe if weight was the main priority. Thing is I also need a more multifunctional axe for delimbing branches and general use.
    The x5 and x7 are about 50e each and I can't afford both:(

This would be a pretty decent axe for the price.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hultafors-Trekking-Axe-800g-1-3-4Lb-/281404033036?hash=item4184fcc80c:m:m_MHAkmSLT7r_PNGBMujqCg

Get it sent to parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

i got the lidl one a couple years ago with the plastic handle.
    a mighty small axe for splitting wood,
    but the head is starting slide away from the handle a little now
    the resin/glue has fell out the top

i got the lidl one a couple years ago with the plastic handle.
    a mighty small axe for splitting wood,
    but the head is starting slide away from the handle a little now
    the resin/glue has fell out the top

Don't know if it would be a good fix but its the sort of thing I'd try with that repair putty (epoxy resin) that I posted as a bargain alert a while back #650.

wolfeye wrote: »
    This would be a pretty decent axe for the price.

Get it sent to parcel motel.

Cheers, that's a good price but I can get that in Dublin for 44e. I was actually thinking of that model yesterday so its an option . Husqvarna do a similar axe for 33e list price. Anyone got experience with husqvarna axes? They are supposed to be made by wetterlings or hultafors bruks.

Cheers, that's a good price but I can get that in Dublin for 44e. I was actually thinking of that model yesterday so its an option . Husqvarna do a similar axe for 33e list price. Anyone got experience with husqvarna axes? They are supposed to be made by wetterlings or hultafors bruks.

Discussion on axes here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057487124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Got the aldi axe lads. 11.99. Or 12 quid with the rounding up of 1 and 2 cent coins :/ only split some pallet wood so far but i think its gonna be worth its 12 euro. The bottom of the handle is hollow, so im going to try incorporate a small fire starting kit into

True the x5 would be the perfect backpacking axe if weight was the main priority. Thing is I also need a more multifunctional axe for delimbing branches and general use.
    The x5 and x7 are about 50e each and I can't afford both:(

They have the X7 (most of the range in fact except the X5) in my local builders merchant and its €35, which isn't so bad? If I had an X5 in my hands with a €35 or less price tag I think I'd have to proceed to the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

djflawless wrote: »
    Got the aldi axe lads. 11.99. Or 12 quid with the rounding up of 1 and 2 cent coins :/ only split some pallet wood so far but i think its gonna be worth its 12 euro. The bottom of the handle is hollow, so im going to try incorporate a small fire starting kit into

just got one myself ! thanks for the heads up guys:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I held it the other day and didn't have too much faith in the plastic handle. Seem very little and likely to snap.

hexosan wrote: »
    I held it the other day and didn't have too much faith in the plastic handle. Seem very little and likely to snap.

If it does, it can be a project to make a new handle :)

If it does, it can be a project to make a new handle :)

Any home made handle on an axe like that is going to make the user look like Fred Flintstone.

• Advertisement

Any home made handle on an axe like that is going to make the user look like Fred Flintstone.

With some bit of luck!

In Dealz today and found they had some handy battery cases, three for the usual €1.49 branded Kodak. The cases hold 4 AA or AAA depending which way you put them in the case. Handy for storing spare batteries and rechargeables, if only someone would do a case that held 3 or 6 AA or AAA as so many LED torches use batteries in three's.

They also had the smaller Clipper lighters, two for €1.49. I like them because you can refill them, flint is also replaceable but no flame adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Those Clipper lighters are not the quality level you expect from Clipper and I don't think they are refillable, smaller too. I bought a pack of 2 for lighting the fire and I burned through the flint in them in a couple of weeks. Ill check when Im home but pretty sure its just blank plastic with no red dot on the bottom for filling.

EDIT: Actually Dealz may be different they seem to have better suppliers, these were from Euro2 or one of the others.

Thargor wrote: »
    Those Clipper lighters are not the quality level you expect from Clipper and I don't think they are refillable, smaller too. I bought a pack of 2 for lighting the fire and I burned through the flint in them in a couple of weeks. Ill check when Im home but pretty sure its just blank plastic with no red dot on the bottom for filling.

EDIT: Actually Dealz may be different they seem to have better suppliers, these were from Euro2 or one of the others.

You are partly correct these aren't the really nice small Clipper lighters that also have the flame adjustment but they are refillable.

I've some really nice refillable lighters that came from one of the euro/deal type shops that are small refillable adjustable and transparent 8 iirc for €1.50 but not seen them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

In Dealz today and found they had some handy battery cases, three for the usual €1.49 branded Kodak. The cases hold 4 AA or AAA depending which way you put them in the case. Handy for storing spare batteries and rechargeables, if only someone would do a case that held 3 or 6 AA or AAA as so many LED torches use batteries in three's.

They also had the smaller Clipper lighters, two for €1.49. I like them because you can refill them, flint is also replaceable but no flame adjustment.

Check out eBay for battery cases you can get them cheaper. If you want one to hold 6 aaa check out power pak on eBay but their between 5 and 10 Euro I've been looking at them awhile as the ratting of batteries in my back bugs me

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

bought a single powerpak storacell for 4 AA batteries a year or so ago.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/STORACELL-Slim-Line-Battery-Caddie-Batteries-Olive/dp/B00E5XZZOE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1447853040&sr=8-6&keywords=PowerPax+StorACell
    think i bought from amazon, not cheap at all, but needed a little something to bump the price and went with it. they are really solid,grip the batteries perfectly. they wont fall out, and there is no danger of shorting.
    i also had some of the cheaper cases. and really there is nothing wrong with them at all.
    but i would throw the storacell in the the bag before any of the cases due to the slight snob in me and/or the fact they just feel so much better ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LED domestic lightbulbs are 70% off in Woodies at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Tabnabs wrote: »
    LED domestic lightbulbs are 70% off in Woodies at the moment.

Philips range only and they don't stock them in every store. Glasnevin don't do them but blanch had tons so worth a call before making the trip!

Only for another hour Victorinox 08623MN Rescue Tool but only really a bargin if its something you wanted anyway (€35).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can download Google Earth Pro for free at the moment. Handy for all sorts of things. Just follow the instructions for the licence information.

Advertisement