Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't be a fan of most of their bakery items - I find their bread very dense - however that cheesy sourdough loaf comes into it's own cut thinly and griddled or fried - delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Lidl has half decent bread but since most of the others have cr@p it's a winner.

I like the chunky smoked salmon and the pepper mackerel. Their Hereford rib eye steaks are really good. So is the fresh moz and the Greek yoghurt and the little herb pots. Seafood chowder is excellent. Bottles of ice tea and sparking water. Olive oil.

Periodical offers can be hit and miss but some of the stuff can be great too. Look out for 1kg bags of good coffee beans. Or mini kabanossi especially the chilli ones. Also sweet chilli sauce, soy and more exotic sauces and bits and bobs can be picked up once or twice a year.
    Not mad on processed foods in general but I make an exception for Flammkuchen during French week.

Spuds are good, onions, avocados, all the fruit and veg is decent.

Detergents, glass cleaner, dishwasher tablets and jacks roll all very good.

Baking section you pick up loads of stuff for a fraction of the price elsewhere like almonds are flour, syrup, baking chocolate. Free range eggs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

katydid wrote: »
    Greek week coming up. Some great Greek stuff. I'll be stocking up on tins of vine leaves.

Stocked up on kalamata olives yesterday :)

I got some :) It was delicious. Very gruyere-y indeed.

Couldn't get the Nuremburg bratwurst (little ones) but got some Thuringen (giant) ones & some Käsekrainer. We're having a very sausagey Friday

They've got Austrian Bergkaese on offer right now - I got some yesterday, and might be back later to get some more. Very nice stuff indeed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Shenshen wrote: »
    They've got Austrian Bergkaese on offer right now - I got some yesterday, and might be back later to get some more. Very nice stuff indeed :)

Their Semmelknödeln are lovely. Very herby, and quite dense. I'm used to dumplings made with suet and self raising flour, which are lovely and light, so the texture was a bit strange. But nice; I had a brisket in the oven with gravy,and I threw them in for twenty minutes towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is there any type of cheese you could compare that to Shenshen? I was eyeballing it when in there yesterday but wasn't sure what it would taste like or whether it would be worth buying. I'm a fan of cheese that tastes like cheese and not milky rubber and didn't want the disappointment if it turned out to be the latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Their Semmelknödeln are lovely. Very herby, and quite dense.
    They've got Semmelknödeln ??????? (Put's on coat and heads to Lidl post-haste!)

Alun wrote: »
    They've got Semmelknödeln ??????? (Put's on coat and heads to Lidl post-haste!)

They had last Thursday here in Waterford...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pretzill wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of most of their bakery items - I find their bread very dense - however that cheesy sourdough loaf comes into it's own cut thinly and griddled or fried - delicious!

The mature cheese sourdough is fantastic. I go once a week, buy four loaves, eat one and freeze the rest (sliced and bagged). OMG. That is my fix.

But I went today and they didn't have any. The Tiger loaf looked like it but it wasn't. I asked the baker and he said no. All gone. Feck.

Is there any type of cheese you could compare that to Shenshen? I was eyeballing it when in there yesterday but wasn't sure what it would taste like or whether it would be worth buying. I'm a fan of cheese that tastes like cheese and not milky rubber and didn't want the disappointment if it turned out to be the latter!

Hmm... tricky. I would say like a cross between Emmental texture and Appenzeller taste, or Gruyere. It does taste nice and strong, not too far off an Appenzeller. But it's not quite as crumbly, a little more springy.
    That's the best I can do to describe it - go on, give it a try. It doesn't cost that much ;)

• Advertisement

Their Semmelknödeln are lovely. Very herby, and quite dense. I'm used to dumplings made with suet and self raising flour, which are lovely and light, so the texture was a bit strange. But nice; I had a brisket in the oven with gravy,and I threw them in for twenty minutes towards the end.

Heh, I hadn't seen those!
    But I would generally prefer to make them rather than buy them, they're so easy to do anyway. And the hubby doesn't like them, I finds them too stodgy. :(

Best way to have them is with a creamy wild forest mushroom stew. Mmmm... I hope the mushroom lady will be at the Midleton farmer's market on Saturday, and I hope she'll have chanterelles!

Heh, I hadn't seen those!
    But I would generally prefer to make them rather than buy them, they're so easy to do anyway. And the hubby doesn't like them, I finds them too stodgy. :(
    I just wanted to try them. I have to say I prefer my own suet ones. But they were interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I will say it again. The Vintage Cheddar is the best. And so inexpensive.

Leave it to get to room temp for a bit, and you will not be disappointed.

It's called Rathdaragh, and it's a block with a black label. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Anyone a fan of the inferno pizza. ...the only food that makes me physically sweat...both eating and on its way to food heaven ; ). Its masochistically delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone a fan of the inferno pizza. ...the only food that makes me physically sweat...both eating and on its way to food heaven ; ). Its masochistically delicious

Have to say for an out of the packet pizza it is quite hot alright :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

Before discovering the delights of Lidl, I would only use Heinz ketchup and baked beans. IMHO, Lidl's Kania ketchup and Kampo Largo beans are just as good...if not better than Heinz.

Before discovering the delights of Lidl, I would only use Heinz ketchup and baked beans. IMHO, Lidl's Kania ketchup and Kampo Largo beans are just as good...if not better than Heinz.

I saw a taste test on TV the other day where Kania Mayonnaise came out tops in a blind testing, above Hellmans and other (British supermarket) own brands.

I saw a taste test on TV the other day where Kania Mayonnaise came out tops in a blind testing, above Hellmans and other (British supermarket) own brands.

I must try that because I have yet to find any other brand as nice as Hellman's - the other German stores ;) mayo is not to my liking.

Also +1 on the cheddar mentioned earlier and my OH will not accept it's Christmas without a couple of Stollens or mini Stollens (I'm also quite partial to their spiced wine - add a splash of brandy and it's Christmas in a warm glass!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hmm... tricky. I would say like a cross between Emmental texture and Appenzeller taste, or Gruyere. It does taste nice and strong, not too far off an Appenzeller. But it's not quite as crumbly, a little more springy.
    That's the best I can do to describe it - go on, give it a try. It doesn't cost that much ;)

Sold! Will grab some the next time I'm in.

Found out during the week that Lidl are no longer baking the cheesy sour dough loaf :(

Typical something I like and they stop making it - did pick up a packet of their specially selected rosemary crackers which are very moreish though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Got these Potato Gratins in Lidl yesterday in their Deluxe section, surprisingly nice. Everyone around the table agreed that we will be getting them again.

Davexirl wrote: »
    Got these Potato Gratins in Lidl yesterday in their Deluxe section, surprisingly nice. Everyone around the table agreed that we will be getting them again.

Yes, they're nice. The ones with broccoli in them are good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Yes, they're nice. The ones with broccoli in them are good too.

Great, I'll pick the Broccoli ones up next time I'm in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

I posted a couple of months back about how I was looking forward to the dark chocolate Christmas marzipan logs (In the red wrapper), but they don't seem to be doing them Thi year, just rum and pineapple flavoured ones. This is disappointing as I always stock up on the red wrapper ones to give to people as prezzies. If anyone sees them anywhere, maybe you could post on here where they can be tracked down....

I don't recall ever seeing any red ones tbh. What flavour were they? I love the other two you mentioned anyway, and have a stock of them already :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't recall ever seeing any red ones tbh. What flavour were they? I love the other two you mentioned anyway, and have a stock of them already :)

Unflavoured, just dark chocolate. Bought a lot of them in past years so they definitely existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Selfheal wrote: »
    I posted a couple of months back about how I was looking forward to the dark chocolate Christmas marzipan logs (In the red wrapper), but they don't seem to be doing them Thi year, just rum and pineapple flavoured ones. This is disappointing as I always stock up on the red wrapper ones to give to people as prezzies. If anyone sees them anywhere, maybe you could post on here where they can be tracked down....

I'm sure I saw these at the till in Lidl Rathmines on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

After seeing people post about Fallon's teabags in another thread I bought some during the week and have to say I was definitely impressed. They actually taste like tea! I'd given up on trying to get decent teabags, having tried everything from Tesco's own to Barrys, Bewleys to Aldi and no joy, but Fallon's are good.

Also picked up their pre-pack caesar salad. Other half was away the other night and I just wanted something quick, but without going down the take away route, so spotted this in store and decided to give it a go. It was €2.99, but a really good size for that, and tasty enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Also picked up their pre-pack caesar salad. Other half was away the other night and I just wanted something quick, but without going down the take away route, so spotted this in store and decided to give it a go. It was €2.99, but a really good size for that, and tasty enough too.

Stolen from here

326566.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

bramble apple pies: gorgeous

Advertisement