Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rough Cost of shipping 20ft Container from France to Dublin

• 18-11-2015 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everybody!

I working on a report for my business school, and I have to realise the financial plan to export French Rillettes (kind of meat terrine) in Ireland,
    so I were just wondering how much roughly it would cost to get a 20ft container from France to Dublin, including all insurance, charges by Dublin Port, cost of getting container delivered from port to Dublin address etc.

If any of you have done this perhaps you might let me know of the rough total cost involved, and if you have any other information I'll take it !

Or maybe it's cheaper by flight, but I don't think so ?

Thank you very much for your attention and your help !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

We discourage homework threads here.
    Nobody can help you with a price because you have not given sufficient information - no pick-up point, no weight, no number of pallets/cases, no value, refrigerated or not, etc.

FWIW, I'd be amazed if anyone could shift that amount of rillettes in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm quite a fan of Spanish fuet and while its not the same as French Rillettes, nearly every Irish person I know turns their nose up at it. We just don't have the taste that most Europeans have for cold or preserved meats. I'm not sure you're going to have a market here.

I'm not overly knowledgeable on the subject, but as its a meat / farm product you're going to be in another world for certificates, export control etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm quite a fan of Spanish fuet and while its not the same as French Rillettes, nearly every Irish person I know turns their nose up at it. We just don't have the taste that most Europeans have for cold or preserved meats. I'm not sure you're going to have a market here.

I'm not overly knowledgeable on the subject, but as its a meat / farm product you're going to be in another world for certificates, export control etc.

If it's from France it wouldn't need to pass through a Border Inspection Post - it can just be shipped direct to here with the normal commercial documentation.

I'd agree with the other posters, though, a product like that isn't going to sell well beyond a niche market so the volume may be excessive.

However, if the plan is to make them here and send them to France you're probably into something more of a commercial proposition.

Good luck with the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ironclaw wrote: »

I would also wager, as a food producer, that the quality you could get from a domestic producer would not differ as much from an imported product to make up for the cost of the container, shipping, and storage, if that makes sense. I might add the latter of those three variables would be extensive and pricey considering the market for processed meat products

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You could most certainly get the raw product here, but if you could find the expertise, materials and other ingredients to produce here, I'm not so sure. You also have the branding concerns and certainly with Iberico ham, the prestige around breeding etc. Ireland has good meat, no question there and the end product could be fabulous.

All said, it would be an interest proposition and I'm sure if you started producing them here there would be significant export interest and grants available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

[QUOTE

I working on a report for my business school,![/QUOTE]

It is a homework thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dbstudent

Hi! Ok Pedro I think everybody understood that you'll not help me, so don't do it, stop spam the post and have a nice day :) (I'm just trying to understand this market for my study, I don't ask to people to do my homework)

Thanks very much too all the others, very useful !

I think I'm going to consider the fact to produce in Ireland, it will intended to be sell in supermarket like dunnes mainly

Thanks again :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Homework threads are not allowed on the forum. Try google or ringing around instead, you may learn something which is after all probably the reason for getting the homework in the first place.

Good luck with your studies.

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement