Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New craft beer in aldi

• 27-09-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Kings of tara 4.99 a 4 pack in aldi. They had irish lager and pale ale. Brewed by station works in the north. Got a pack of each during the week. Lager is average not a lot going on. The pale ale has a strange bittering hop bad out of the fridge but ok at room temperature. All in all the o sheas. Is a far superior brew.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I believe it's a product of craftworks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,393 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for the review, saw ad for it in sunday papers and thought about picking up a pack but will stick to the regular range.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Says on side of box it's Stationworks in Newry i'm pretty sure.

Just saw this stuff today.

It's not too bad, not too dissimilar to Galway Hooker.

Not bad for e5 anyway when I cant stump up for the 4 for e10.

The Lidl range this appears to challenge, Craft Brewing Company.
    Their lager is more or less an ale if anyone was avoiding it due to it listed as a lager.
    Very heavy tasting ale too, much different than this King of Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

33cl or 50cl?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lucena wrote: »
    33cl or 50cl?
    Kings of Tara is in 33s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Will give this a try. Speaking of fridge vs room temp - I used to always leave beer/ale in the fridge. Parents advised me to leave at room temp. What a difference it makes! Currently drinking Kename IPA and is muuuuch nicer at room temp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I find room temp beer to be a bit too warm. I'll generally aim to have most beers at about 8-10 degrees starting off, IPAs a little cooler maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I actually pop them into the fridge for about an hour or 2, so they're just that bit more chilled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Will give this a try. Speaking of fridge vs room temp - I used to always leave beer/ale in the fridge. Parents advised me to leave at room temp. What a difference it makes! Currently drinking Kename IPA and is muuuuch nicer at room temp!

Anything hoppy would be better left in the fridge and taken out 30-60 mins before you drink it, especially if storing long term. Hops deteriorate pretty quickly and fridging will slow that down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had the pale ale recently, nothing too fancy but at 4 for €5 it is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Had the pale ale recently, nothing too fancy but at 4 for €5 it is good value.

Works out the same price as the O'Sheas range which is much nicer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a few of the Pale Ale at the weekend, not good at all. Very strange chemical bitterness off it, perhaps it needed to be drank at warmer temp like someone else mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Works out the same price as the O'Sheas range which is much nicer IMO.

Agreed. The O'Shea's pale ale is a lovely drop for the price. Far nicer than the Tara equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

The only problem with the O'Shea's [ale is that it's very rare you find any in stock.

If this was even a passable back up and was actually in stock it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I really didn’t like the Tara pale ale. Very bitter and not to my taste at all. Not a patch on the O’Shea’s. Its up there with the worst pale ales I’ve had.
    dub_skav wrote: »
    The only problem with the O'Shea's [ale is that it's very rare you find any in stock.

If this was even a passable back up and was actually in stock it might be worth a look.

I think they are getting a little better at stock levels for the pale ale. At least in my local shop they are. The golden ale is nice too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

I really didn’t like the Tara pale ale. Very bitter and not to my taste at all. Not a patch on the O’Shea’s. Its up there with the worst pale ales I’ve had.

I think they are getting a little better at stock levels for the pale ale. At least in my local shop they are. The golden ale is nice too imo.

Getting better alright. Used to be a right pain to head down the booze isle, only to see a mass of Stout and Red Ale bottles, but none of the pale green ale ones. Not that the stout is bad either.

dub_skav wrote: »

I've seen a big improvement in the last 2 months, used to be 2 or 3 anytime I went in. Lately seems to be plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭ Brenna Obedient Cliff

Kings of Tara stuff actually gave me the galloping trots.

O'Shea's stuff is pretty good though for the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 BattleReady

Some nice seasonal beers in Aldi alright.

Should one stock up now or will they be there till closer to Christmas?

• Advertisement

I've seen a big improvement in the last 2 months, used to be 2 or 3 anytime I went in. Lately seems to be plenty.

Good to hear. I'm rarely in Aldi and whenever I went out of my way to grab some pale ale I was more often than not disappointed so had nearly given up. Might start swinging by again.

Some nice seasonal beers in Aldi alright.

Should one stock up now or will they be there till closer to Christmas?

I'd imagine if you stock up now then they won't be there closer to Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Anyone know if they have Ghost Ship in Aldi on a regular basis, or was it a once-off over the summer?

Lucena wrote: »
    Anyone know if they have Ghost Ship in Aldi on a regular basis, or was it a once-off over the summer?

Got some last weekend so looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I grabbed a bottle of Brown Bear IPA in ALDI last night, 1st time id seen it. Has anyone tried it? will give it a bash later

Only bought one after struggling through 4 of those poor Tara ales

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Bought one of the Brown Bear brown ales yesterday. Absolute muck. Total homebrew tang off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Williams Brothers Perfect Storm IPA in Aldi isn't bad for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not a fan of the Brown Bear or the Tara range to be honest. Very very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Williams Brothers Perfect Storm IPA in Aldi isn't bad for the price.

Had this myself and thought it had a strange taste. Not very bitter for an IPA either, I thought it was a bit sickly towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had this myself and thought it had a strange taste. Not very bitter for an IPA either, I thought it was a bit sickly towards the end.

Yes, I agree with this. It had a weird, almost strawberry, taste through the middle, which I'm guessing wasn't intended. I was a bit surprised and expected more from a Williams Bros beer.

I also had the brown bear IPA which I thought was poor.

The O'Sheas range is still the market leader in budget beer, IMO.

Advertisement