Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves #11 - Miamee

• 16-11-2015 12:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Monday one and all!

Here we are week 11, lights are being turned on all over the place, we are less than 2 weeks away from December and the Toy Show! It is getting so close!

It honestly only feels like last week, we were doing week one of this!! :D

This week our Elf of the Week is Miamee :)

I'll kick off, Roses or Quality Street and favourite sweet from each?
    When do you put up your tree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Do you cook christmas dinner?

What's your must have, wouldn't be Christmas without it christmas dinner staple !

Tinsel ? Tacky or a festive must have !?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Do you cook christmas dinner?
    I don't, we all still go to my parent's house and mam still cooks :o We all help out where possible but she likes to just get on with it without anyone under her feet. I have cooked a Christmas dinner before one year. My sister was heading off to Oz for a year at the end of November so I had a surprise Christmas at my house before she left :D Great fun!
    What's your must have, wouldn't be Christmas without it christmas dinner staple !
    For the actual dinner I think, aside from the obvious turkey and ham, it has to be Brussel sprouts! I just discovered my mother hates them...she kept that quiet when we were kids! But I actually love them and it's not something I'd cook for my own dinner at home so I like sprouts with tons of gravy.
    Tinsel ? Tacky or a festive must have !?
    I'm afraid I don't really go for tinsel...we had far too many puny, thin bits of sad tinsel over the years that it's put me off it completely. I'm sure full-bodied tinsel looks lovely but I've steered clear of it for the most part :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You never answered my questions :(:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Loughc wrote: »
    I missed them in the excitement :o
    Happy Monday one and all!

Here we are week 11, lights are being turned on all over the place, we are less than 2 weeks away from December and the Toy Show! It is getting so close!

It honestly only feels like last week, we were doing week one of this!! :D

This week our Elf of the Week is Miamee :)

I'll kick off, Roses or Quality Street and favourite sweet from each?
    When do you put up your tree?

Thanks LoughC.
    I think for the sake of tradition I prefer Roses as that was always what ended up in our house, usually a gift from someone - the excitement! My favourite Rose is probably the Hazelnut and Caramel big purple one. it's Mam's favourite too so she always has to get at least one of the very small number of them out of the box before they are all gone :pac: I do (controversially) also like the coffee cremes (are they still in the mix?)

I do like the big, flat yellow toffee Quality Street too. I usually go for that one unless my teeth are already hurting, lol.

My tree - well, sad story there, kinda. When I moved into my own place, I bought a beautiful fake tree and built up a collection of decorations that I loved over the years. I moved out of that place a couple of years ago and had to put the Christmas tree and decorations into storage as I was moving to a rented place (no space). So I've had no tree for the past two Christmases :( It was pretty miserable. So this year I am buying a small pre-lit tree in Argos (3ft) and am going to decorate it as much as I can with a few other decs. So to answer your actual question, lol, I'll probably put it up in the first weekend of December. My housemate is not too into Christmas so I'll try not to annoy him too much. Once it's December, it's fair game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Sorry Loughc it was clearly the excitement of answering my awesome q's that sidetracked miamee :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sorry Loughc it was clearly the excitement of answering my awesome q's that sidetracked miamee :D

Your questions were good to be fair, I can't blame Miamee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Favourite Christmas song?

Favourite Christmas movie?

Favourite Christmas memory?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Describe the ultimate festive dress you would wow with.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

If your could spend Christmas anywhere in the world, where would it be? (Excluding home!)

Favourite Christmas song?
    Ahh that is very difficult to choose! I love all of the classic oldies and some Christmas hymns as well. I love 'Carol of the Bells' and 'O holy night' but I love Elton John's 'Step Into Christmas' too, it's so catchy and I never get sick of it. (Listening to Carol of the Bells on my playlist now...might just leave the whole playlist on now :D)
    Favourite Christmas movie?
    I have great memories of being allowed to watch Mary Poppins on Christmas Day or St. Stephen's Day with my dinner in the living room if it was on around that time - there was no such thing as recording something from the telly then and we were never, ever allowed eat in front of the tv. We only had the one telly so that was a treat for me because my parents knew how much I loved the film. My brother and sister and I always watched Santa Clause the Movie on Christmas Eve too. But currently I think my favourite has to be Elf. I loved the film, introduced my yougenst sister to it, and she also loves it. We went to see the musical in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre last year on 23rd Dec, it was magical! And are going to the screening in The Sugar Club on 1st December this year so Elf has lots of nice memories/associations for me :) Definitely my current favourite.
    Favourite Christmas memory?

:pac:
    For a specific memory, I think it has to be the year that I saw Santa's sleigh lights outside across the field shine in our front window briefly and we had to rush up to bed before he got to our house!!!! :eek: :D Years later I realised it was probably a car turning in the cul de sac across the way and their headlights shone in but there was great excitement that night!

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    Describe the ultimate festive dress you would wow with.

For the proper WOW factor I think it'd have to be a big princess style dress with coloured fairy lights in the skirts - a bit like the wedding dresses you'd see on some programmes but with coloured lights. I'd look like a Christmas tree.

I also like this :D (I think I would *actually* wear this one to a fancy Christmas party!)

blogger-image--831732776.jpg

If your could spend Christmas anywhere in the world, where would it be? (Excluding home!)

I'd love to spend it somewhere that has the same weather and things that we associate with Christmas. Somewhere snowy, open fire, wrapped in woolies, warm drinks, candle lights. I suppose that could be anywhere but I'm thinking somewhere Scandinavian. Lapland! Haha.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do you have any Christmas jumpers? If so, describe them!

Do you have a colour theme for your Christmas tree, or do you just lash everything on?

Coloured lights or white lights?

Do you have an advent calendar?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Do you have any Christmas jumpers? If so, describe them!
    I have two Christmas jumpers and I think I got both of them last year! Definitely one of them anyway. One of them is a bright blue round neck jumper with a skiing penguin wearing a Santa hat and a scarf. He has googley eyes that move :D The other jumper is much more subtle and not just for Christmas (I think anyway). It's light grey with a wintry pattern of reindeer across the chest in white and some bright pink in the design too. I posted a pic of it in the jumpers thread last year, I'll see if I can find it. I bought it on holidays in Bratislava - they had loads of cool Christmas jumpers! It's a polo neck and very cosy, I love it. I think I wore it during some very cold weather in January last year and someone asked me what I was doing wearing a Christmas jumper but it's a WINTER jumper...with a slight Christmas feel thanks to the reindeer :pac:
    Do you have a colour theme for your Christmas tree, or do you just lash everything on?
    My original tree and decs had a red and gold theme but there were some brightly coloured decorations too, like a little snowman with a purple hat and a cane :D but mostly red and gold, that's what colours all the baubles were.
    Coloured lights or white lights?
    I like the white fairy lights. In our house we strung some up on the mantelpiece last Christmas and we liked them so much they have stayed there all year...they just add a lovely cosy, twinkly feeling to the room and to the trees as well I think.
    Do you have an advent calendar?
    I have never, ever had an Advent calendar *sad face* Sure I could buy one for myself but I'm tryiing to be good. I've lost almost 2 stone since January and am wondering how I will make it through Christmas without putting it all back on. So I'll avoid an Advent calendar again this year!

Advertisement