Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of None

• 22-10-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Meet Dev (Aziz Ansari), a 30-year-old actor in New York who has trouble deciding what he wants to eat, much less the pathway for the rest of his life.

Master of None stars Aziz Ansari, Noël Wells, Eric Wareheim, Lena Waithe, Kelvin Yu, and H. Jon Benjamin. Watch Season 1 on November 6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Only three days away, I'll start(and probably finish it) this weekend. The reviews have been effusive in their praise of it and in some of the reviews I've read of it, it seems the reviewers have seen the whole season. Currently on 93 on Metacritic.

The AV Club review has me particularly excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just read about this and came here to see if there was a thread. Weekend sorted. It looks excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've only watched the first episode, but so far I love it. Exactly my kind of show - brilliantly awkward & classic Aziz...

And episode 2 was horrificly bad. Ignore my previous statement. I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I thought episode 2 was pretty good. Shocked to hear it described as horrifically bad it's at least watchable. Only one I havent liked so far was Nashville, too cutesy but in general the series is very good, it's contemporary, funny and pretty realistic. And I like shows where each episode can stand alone as a story. Indians on TV is my favorite episode so far.

• Advertisement

Clampdown wrote: »
    I thought episode 2 was pretty good. Shocked to hear it described as horrifically bad it's at least watchable. Only one I havent liked so far was Nashville, too cutesy but in general the series is very good, it's contemporary, funny and pretty realistic. And I like shows where each episode can stand alone as a story. Indians on TV is my favorite episode so far.

Episode 2 lacked humour, was overly stereotypical and some of the support acting was terrible. It was a far cry from what episode 1 had to offer. I'm sure it's for someone's tastes, just not for me.

I had the same problem with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - the first episode I thought was great and then it lost me in the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The second episode is utterly dreadful but it picks up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I liked the second episode. The audition at the coffee shop was just the right side of uncomfortable. I could see how people would be bored with the parents stories, but I enjoyed them because I had several friends who were first-generation americans and their parents acted exactly the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

I have to say, though, "I was struck by lightning and swapped bodies with a 12-year-old girl and now I have to go to class" is the best excuse ever.

Just finished the series, pretty decent last few with some very funny parts and an interesting end to the finale which does a good job leaving you intrigued for season 2 without being a cliffhanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just binged watched today. Thought it was brilliant. Kinda reminded me of catastrophe (which is funnier)

Loved his parents...who are his real parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Watched the whole lot of this yesterday.

Thought there were some good moments but overall it didn't do much for me.

LaVail wrote: »
    Watched the whole lot of this yesterday.

Thought there were some good moments but overall it didn't do much for me.

It's not life changing but it is definitely an entertaining half hour which strikes a good balance of silliness and reality. The issue of being an adult at that age when it's either settle down now and let that window of opportunity to chase your dream close or jump on a plane and go for it rang true for me and the humor was good, not too crude or too corny. The bits about trading cleanliness in the shared apt for oral pleasure cracked me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Watched the first episode and a half of this and while there was one or two mildly funny moments i cant see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Absolutely loved this, thought it was fantastic.

It might be because I like Aziz Ansari a ton, but I find this fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

As mentioned its not your typical comedy.

I think I may have been expecting too much of it as I think Aziz is a very clever and funny man. The ending of it left a lot to be desired.
    He's giving it all up to go make pasta in Italy?
    Really?

That said, Im already looking forward to season two if there is one and "Mornings" is one of the best episodes of anything Ive seen from a Netflix Original.

A nit picky 6.8 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wow, I'm surprised to read all the hate for episode 2! I thought it was really heartwarming and funny.

I've only watched the first 2 eps so far, but I am really enjoying it. I love Aziz Ansari's stand up and in Parks & Rec, and MoN definitely has shades of the two, but it's a show all of its own at the same time. I like the style of it as well; it's very cinematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I loved Parents. Such a warm episode full of heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm finding this a bit hit and miss, but god damn, that episode with Colin Salmon was brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The parents episode was one of my favourites, the intro had me in stitches. Apparently most of the flashbacks were real things that happened to their parents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

den87 wrote: »
    Watched the first episode and a half of this and while there was one or two mildly funny moments i cant see what the fuss is about.

Ok i may have jumped the gun on this one, the following 2 episodes were a major improvements. The end of episode 3 was heartbreaking.

And it got me into the music of Father John Misty. Check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

I liked episode 2 as well. One of my favourite episodes, and I thought it was a nice touch to explore that topic. Don't really understand how someone can say they love the first episode, then declare themselves "out" because they didn't like the second one. Seems a bit hasty to write a show off on the strength of two episodes. If I took that attitude, I'd have given up on Bojack Horseman ages ago, and I'm really glad I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,267 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Aziz Ansari. He was okay for the most part in Parks & Rec but I don't like his standup. However Master of None was absolutely fantastic. Really clever stuff throughout. Glad it's getting a second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Penn wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a huge fan of Aziz Ansari. He was okay for the most part in Parks & Rec but I don't like his standup. However Master of None was absolutely fantastic. Really clever stuff throughout. Glad it's getting a second season.

I liked him in P&R but his stand up sucks. I was super glad with how great MoN was, in part because I think he seems like a pretty good dude! Can't wait for S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Season 2 trailer released. Very much looking forward to this. Really enjoyed the first season; a great mixture of serious topics and humour.

Will be released on May 12th.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Started Season two today, brilliant so far. The music is great too.
    The first episode is set in Italy with a big nod to Fellini. Quality...trying to savour it and not totally binge is really difficult :mad:.

Started Season two today, brilliant so far. The music is great too.
    The first episode is set in Italy with a big nod to Fellini. Quality...trying to savour it and not totally binge is really difficult :mad:.

Same!! Just watched the first one!

• Advertisement

Binged watched it.... so so good. Really heart warming and so much more than a comedy I felt. Some brilliant laugh out loud moments too. Loved it!

Advertisement