Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Training College

• 30-10-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Does anyone know when training will move from GV to Desertcreat?

Will the 1509 campaign be trained in GV still?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

hurdles123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when training will move from GV to Desertcreat?

Will the 1509 campaign be trained in GV still?

It's not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

Apologies for my stupidity I did not realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Nothing at all stupid about it, I didn't know it wasn't going there until yesterday and that is because it was on bbc website. Only the NIFRS will be there and the other two have been awarded funding for refurbing existing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurdles123

Apologies for my stupidity I did not realise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

What is the breakdown of training at GV etc? I think it was 22 weeks at GV for the SOTP, another 10 weeks for firearms, advanced driving, police tactics etc and then another 10 weeks with a tutor. Is this still the case or has it been condensed down to fewer weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

WannabePC wrote: »
    What is the breakdown of training at GV etc? I think it was 22 weeks at GV for the SOTP, another 10 weeks for firearms, advanced driving, police tactics etc and then another 10 weeks with a tutor. Is this still the case or has it been condensed down to fewer weeks?

22 weeks for everything. Driving done after GV when you're in your station. And as far as I know, no tutor. Straight into the deep end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

badi15 wrote: »
    ...no tutor. Straight into the deep end.
    ...which is a big mistake IMHO. My Tutor Con was great and really helped me out in on-the-spot situations, without it being clear that I was a n00b.

It was a win/win. They got to demonstrate their experience - which could then be used to further their career, and we got to learn on a gradual basis, safe in the knowledge that our TC would step in if we screwed up.

There was a cost associated with training them up as TCs, so I'd say that's the reason they no longer exist.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Shield wrote: »
    ...which is a big mistake IMHO. My Tutor Con was great and really helped me out in on-the-spot situations, without it being clear that I was a n00b.

It was a win/win. They got to demonstrate their experience - which could then be used to further their career, and we got to learn on a gradual basis, safe in the knowledge that our TC would step in if we screwed up.

There was a cost associated with training them up as TCs, so I'd say that's the reason they no longer exist.

-Shield.

To be fair, my new colleagues have acted the same so far! Although a single tutor con would've been nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

To be fair, my new colleagues have acted the same so far! Although a single tutor con would've been nice!

I was hoping this would be the case. It'd be nice to have someone keeping me right for the first few weeks to stop me making a stupid mistake and looking like the novice that I'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Agree. Could really knock your confidence if you screw up at the start of your career.

• Advertisement

Wow, pretty surprised at that. That's even more pressure on you when you're stepping into the big bad world of operational policing after GV!
    Does anyone know what the failure rate for GV is? By that I mean everyone who hasn't left voluntarily and was forced to resign etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Very low. Not sure if we can give exact figures but it is a 99% pass rate.

Thats just course material. I dont really know about people who voluntarily leave or who are dismissed due to misconduct issues, which of course are no fault of the course.

Joe789 wrote: »
    Very low. Not sure if we can give exact figures but it is a 99% pass rate.

Thats just course material. I dont really know about people who voluntarily leave or who are dismissed due to misconduct issues, which of course are no fault of the course.

That's good to hear! I know that you only get 2 attempts at exams etc and if you fail you're gone which worries me slightly. I know there's a lot of hard work to be done as soon as you get in the door and there's no chance that I'd leave voluntarily. They would have to drag me out the gates kicking and screaming if I messed up! One thing at a time though. Get in, pass out, finish probation!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Failure rates- Your probably looking at about 1 per squad who does not make it through exams. Some squads have others who do not make it for other reasons. All you need to do is put the work in, dont be afraid to have a laugh with your mates as well though! Just dont do anything silly!

As for tutor Cons, i think we were robbed of this. Our colleagues are a great help and none in my section would want to see anyone fail, however you have to remember that they have their own work to do and whilst they might be able to help you at the time you may not be with them tomorrow when your needing to finish some obscure form you have never heard of. Depending on how busy your station/ district is you will feel very much in at the deep end!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

You are reminded of the consequences of failure on an almost daily basis in GV. Most people put the work in, so the failure rate is not that high. More than you would think fail exams the first time, they are tricky to say the least but with their jobs on the line most pass again.

Its a shame there are no more TC's to keep you right when your on the ground. With the eyes of the world on you the moment you step out the doors of GV... and your job on the line if you make a mistake or over react, a possible criminal record or jail. Its a heavy weight on all our shoulders....

The problem is the people who investigate these matters or regulate them do so from the comfort of their warm room and nice office. Not the pissing rain at 0300 with some drunk fella who has just knocked seven shades of **** out of his misses with a bat and now hes coming at you... what would you do? Well that's why were paid the big bucks(in 7 years for me hopefully haha!)

Can't wait to get out of GV on a lighter note and start helping people that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

Does anyone here know how often there is a new intake at gv??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Does anyone here know how often there is a new intake at gv??

Typically every 5 weeks or so dependent on numbers and funds available in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

Thanks, just trying to guess when I could possibly have a start for. I know it's too unpredictable to call though!

Advertisement