Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

This could be a good thing. It depends though on whether it'll be based ont he JJ timeline or the original. I'm for the original myself. I'm feeling positive but somewhat ferful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

This could be a good thing. It depends though on whether it'll be based ont he JJ timeline or the original. I'm for the original myself. I'm feeling positive but somewhat fearful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hopefully more in the spirit of ST:TOS and TNG than the dreadful recent action movies.

• Where will this sit within the timeline? Unless it is following the Star Trek movies, which rewrote that timeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Lukas Quaint Moon

2017 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hopefully more in the spirit of ST:TOS and TNG than the dreadful recent action movies.

In theory, even if it's set in the new universe, the combination of a smaller budget & the longer narrative format of a TV series should enforce more character-based storytelling; I think we can take it as given it won't be as openly splashy and vacuous as the recent films. How interesting the concept & its characters will be is an entirely different question however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Another Star trek! how many reincarnations is that?

As a fan of the original Star Trek + Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Next generation & Star trek Enterprise I cant help thinking that yet another Star Trek might be a bridge too far? < questionmark.

I love Sci-Fi set in space, so fingers crossed . . . . .

Live long and prosper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hopefully they don't make some crsp thing, star trek is amazing, hope they can cspture the greatness in a new series

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very clever by CBS to make it a first run exclusive on there streaming platform they are guaranteed to get big sign up numbers for it.

They keep there top shows off Netflix and Hulu as well which means if you want to watch legally online you have to pay them.

Of course that's the US only.

The bidding starts now for the rest of the world.

Like those recent films I wouldn't include Enterprise in the canon, didn't feel like ST at all. For me ST ended with Voyager or the final TNG film, whichever came last.

• Advertisement

• I really enjoyed all of them, bar TOS and Enterprise. TOS was just too campy for me and uninteresting (I know, I know) and Enterprise was just.. Enterprise.

It'd be great if it's post Voyager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Some Enterprise episodes were canon.

• Probably the biggest being how the Klingons changed from TOS to TNG?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd like something similar to DS9 again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm a massive DS9 fan really enjoyed TNG I felt Voyager had its moments kinda suffered through the original series and just couldn't even attempt enterprise so I'm fairly excited about this. If it hovers somewhere between Voyager and TNG I'll be very happy

I really enjoyed all of them, bar TOS and Enterprise. TOS was just too campy for me and uninteresting (I know, I know) and Enterprise was just.. Enterprise.

You can't be a fan of Trek without loving TOS, Spock was one of the best characters in any form of Sci Fi ever, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

USA only .. Not that that is going to prevent the torrents from coming in.. :P

• You can't be a fan of Trek without loving TOS, Spock was one of the best characters in any form of Sci Fi ever, full stop.

I think it's because TNG was my first experience of Trek as a young kid and just could never get into TOS.

Would never claim to be a true trekkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

More Picard than Kirk in terms of plot (ie. brains over brawn). And Q. We need more Q.
    Last time I saw the entity he was reduced to dropping airliners from the sky in Breaking Bad. I mean, air traffic control for a god. Could have been an amoeba but no.....instead he gets Jesse Pinkman as a potential son in law.

More Picard than Kirk in terms of plot (ie. brains over brawn). And Q. We need more Q.
    Last time I saw the entity he was reduced to dropping airliners from the sky in Breaking Bad. I mean, air traffic control for a god. Could have been an amoeba but no.....instead he gets Jesse Pinkman as a potential son in law.

Q and Troi were the worse characters in the otherwise excellent TNG, I always skip the Q episodes on Flix, irritating git.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Lukas Quaint Moon

I think it's because TNG was my first experience of Trek as a young kid and just could never get into TOS.

Would never claim to be a true trekkie!

I remember the strings on the puppets in the first episode of tos :)

Never got into enterprise.
    TOS was grand until special effects came on the scene and wechad life but not as we knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Actually re-watching DS9 on Netflix at the moment, so this news has me very excited.

Netflix or Amazon might be able to sway rights to show it in Europe hopefully, as we all know CBS and Hulu and the likes, have no interest in breaking into the EU markets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder if it's the Captain Worf that was suggested. Or the Star Trek: Federation idea. Or a whole new one

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Actually re-watching DS9 on Netflix at the moment, so this news has me very excited.

Netflix or Amazon might be able to sway rights to show it in Europe hopefully, as we all know CBS and Hulu and the likes, have no interest in breaking into the EU markets!

Btw TNG is now in HD on Netflix US, a pleasure to watch now, properly colour graded and great detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wonder if it's the Captain Worf that was suggested. Or the Star Trek: Federation idea. Or a whole new one

Worfs story has been told at this point. He's had several hundred episodes, spanning two series and four movies.

They will go with an all new cast and crew. I'm sure of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Captain Wesley. Make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Very clever by CBS to make it a first run exclusive on there streaming platform they are guaranteed to get big sign up numbers for it.
    Big spike in piracy more like, how many streaming services do these clowns of companies think people are going to pay for?

Anyone hoping for the Picard/Sisko/Janeway universe will be disappointed, Alex Kurtzman from the first Abrams film is on board so nearly guaranteed it's set in the Abrams universe. Id say any slim hope of seeing the original universe again is now dead. Just reading Worfs AMA on Reddit recently and he was really excited about doing a new series with him as captain of a small ship, all gone now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Btw TNG is now in HD on Netflix US, a pleasure to watch now, properly colour graded and great detail.

That's right, I'd heard about that one.
    I must get around to watching the new versions, although I only finished a re-watch a few mothns before they updated them :)

• From what I've heard in Q&A's with Michael Dorn on Reddit, the Worf-centric TV series has a good shot at being made. Everyone wants to do it, but they're just waiting for the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They wont give permission though, they'll see it as diluting the new franchise or too confusing to morons or both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement