Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

• 02-11-2015 4:56pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys. Gals.

Word emerging that a new Trek series has been confirmed for 2016...an official announcement may arrive today.

Alex Kurtzman is heading it for CBS.

Please please please not be some sh!te hoax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very surprising if true. Trek would need to be radically different to survive todays world of tv...and not different in a good way unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Obviously not a confirmation but being reported here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If true......

Omg omg Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

If false,

F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck,

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

If true......

Omg omg Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

If false,

F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck, F*ck,

#Agreed :pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hopefully its more like TNG than TOS :P

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hopefully its more like TNG than TOS :P

It may have more of a feel of the J.J. Abrams movies, as Alex Kurtzman, who co wrote those movies is the main man behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Enterprise season 3 & 4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Surprised about this to be honest. Not a bad idea with the final new film next year, but i wasn't expecting a new series for a while. Not sure about it being on CBS All Access...mainly cause I know nothing about it, but we'll see how it pans out.

Will be interesting to see where they take the show. I'd be fairly confident it'll be set in the newly created timeline, as it gives them a huge amount of freedom to recreate it as they like. A lot of Trek fans will not be happy with that though.

Either way, definitely good new so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jaysus, Star Trek and the Stone Roses is one day? I've got one wish left so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

bajer101 wrote: »
    It may have more of a feel of the J.J. Abrams movies, as Alex Kurtzman, who co wrote those movies is the main man behind it.

Please no Kirk great great great grandson with first officer descendant of Dax or something :(

Go with a whole new direction

Jaysus, Star Trek and the Stone Roses is one day? I've got one wish left so.

Carlsberg don't do Mondays....

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Star trek renegades as a tv series would be cool based on the youtube film.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very surprising if true. Trek would need to be radically different to survive todays world of tv...and not different in a good way unfortunately.
    A lot of people probably would have said the same when they were greenlighting TNG tbh.

We're in a golden age of TV at the moment, get the right team onboard and we could have a legendary Trek series in the making. Main question is which universe they're planning on going with. The new Abrams universe gives them a lot of potential to tread old ground with a modern spin - attractive to new and old fans alike.

But a continuation of the old universe gives them a lot more freedom to get into really serious technology. Which could be fun, but has the potential to become a farce too.

I think you're right that it'll have to be different to survive modern TV - it'll have to be a little darker and grittier. Look at the current top TV shows - they're not sitcoms or cheesy action series, but grittier stuff that skirts the line between reality and fantasy - Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Homeland, Gotham, Fargo, True Detective.

Could get a really good mix of the seriousness/drama of TNG mixed with the darker parts of DS9, with big-budget writers and directors.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Please no Kirk great great great grandson with first officer descendant of Dax or something :(

Go with a whole new direction

Admiral Picard coaxed out of retirement to deal with some new threat. We can but dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

bajer101 wrote: »

I wouldn't be opposed to a series in the new timeline per se (though I'd prefer the original setting) but if Kurtzman is helming the show then my expectations are severely lowered.

This is a dead cert to be set in the JJ-timeline, and in a way, it makes the most sense to do so. The TNG-universe had been pretty fleshed out, the the Alpha quadrant seemed much smaller by the finale of DS9 than it had done in TOS. Only way to do the TNG-universe would be to jump ahead in time by 100 years or so, and embrace new tech (transwarp?) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

regardless of what timeline i just hope its set post borg 1st contact because that covers most of the other established races as well.
    i don't want to spend the next 5 years having introductions. Id like to see it post Nemesis

my friends are convinced it will be a crew of 20 year olds, TOS era, different ship, wild west / firefly elements to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Enterprise season 3 & 4

♫It's been a long time.....

Hang on, I thought it ran for 4 seasons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Slarkon wrote: »
    my friends are convinced it will be a crew of 20 year olds, TOS era, different ship, wild west / firefly elements to it

that sounds just about awful enough to be right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Myrddin wrote: »

Star Trek: Defiant NCC-90210

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

There's a line at the bottom:
    The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

In a perfect world, we could convince ourselves this means it isn't set in the Abrams verse, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Given the infinite possibilities, there should at some point be a collision between all the sci-fis resulting in a TOS/TNG/B5/SW/FF etc mega mashup.

Solve all the confused gf conundrums:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully someone other than the writers of the recent Trek films will be the showrunner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Why are people celebrating? This is the worst news possible for the franchise. Alex Kurtzman is in charge and it's set in the alternate universe.

All hope of a real Star Trek TV show is now dead.

Axanar and what follows in its steps is where the heart of the franchise lies now.

Goldstein wrote: »
    All hope of a real Star Trek TV show is now dead.

Axanar and what follows in its steps is where the heart of the franchise lies now.

I'm inclined (at this early stage) to agree. It's hard to imagine any new show tackling human condition stories over space lazers etc, though I hope I'm proved wrong.

I really hope too that this news doesn't effect Continues & Axanar in terms of rights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,551 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This could work out really well if they do it in the Mirror Universe. A Mirror Universe series how cool could that be. It could be dark and gritty just like tv is now but still be the prime universe Star Trek and you never know maybe even have some crossover with the good prime universe.

I really want to be happy and get excited about this but will wait until I see the first few trailers. Hopefully it will be good. I don,t mind which Universe as long as they are proper story's about real issues happening in the world now just like the Original series did it. Homeland can do it why can,t a new Star Trek do it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

If they reimagine it from scratch, OK, it could be very good. If it is, just Abrams flim flam, well, no.

Anyway, I assume it's a clean break from from the last tv series'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

55367915.jpg

Oh yeah baby!

But please, not 90210 in space :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    If they reimagine it from scratch, OK, it could be very good. If it is, just Abrams flim flam, well, no.

Anyway, I assume it's a clean break from from the last tv series'.

Enterprise wasn't that bad tbh, i preferred it over voyager anyway

Advertisement