Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Christmas Present Wish List

• 01-11-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

So, what would you like for Christmas?
    Or will you get yourself a little present?!
    I'd love some nice jewellery but can never justify buying it for myself and my OH wouldn't think of it (or probably know what I'd like).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I didn't buy much before Christmas for myself but I try and get value for money in sales especially for shoes and boots and maybe even a decent handbag.
    I'd keep an eye too for perfume bargains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I never buy myself anything at Christmas. I want some Christmas pyjamas and Richard Burr's cook book and I'll be happy. I'm turning into a pyjamas obsessive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'll buy myself a pint bottle of cider.

What I want is the cash to buy the OH "the ring" but moving house etc has put the kaibosh on that. Now I have to think of something else to get her that is nice but will not cripple the savings of the aforementioned item.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Jude13 wrote: »

What I want is the cash to buy the OH "the ring" but moving house etc has put the kaibosh on that. Now I have to think of something else to get her that is nice but will not cripple the savings of the aforementioned item.

My engagement ring is gold and diamonds and cost around £300. 11 years on I still adore it. Don't let finances dictate a proposal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It's much easier to make a list of what I want to GET, than to think of what to give other people! Such a greedy girl...

I want kitchen gadgets, especially a probe thermometer and a tiny scales.
    Perfume. Chocolates. Earrings. Plants. Soft woolly jumper. Warm wool socks. Bag of my favourite coffee beans. Incense. A red scarf.

Lordy lord. Santa, are you listening? I've been really quite good this year... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aldi's Florentine biscuits that only come out at Christmas. Yummy. Especially with an Irish Hot Stuff (what they call Hot Chocolate with a shot of Baileys in Prague).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh I would like this skull head that you can store playing cards in and also one of those pedi things..

Would like some new slippers too, ones that are more like sandles...

I always buy myself a little treat and wrap it up under the tree for myself to me from me, get things like some nice foot cream or hand lotion a little treat

Nice of you to say!Has she picked a ring then or you just waiting on the right one.. Youd be surprised how much some cost... We just our two wedding bands made with some old gold we collected from family and friends and for two rings (with sparklers) it was €750...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I make out a santa list and give it to my OH every year haha ;) I normally ask for a certain brand of make up or perfume or vouchers, dvds, anything pampering really! I tend to not buy myself loads during the year so I do get a bit spoilt at Christmas :) My OH has his hobbies which can be quiet expensive which is what santa will bring him, so he accepts my hobby is self maintenance :D :pac:

Milly33 wrote: »
    Nice of you to say!Has she picked a ring then or you just waiting on the right one.. Youd be surprised how much some cost... We just our two wedding bands made with some old gold we collected from family and friends and for two rings (with sparklers) it was €750...

Agree with this. My OH spent a bloody fortune on my engagement ring and I was terrified to wear it. Had I went ring shopping there was no way I would have allowed that amount of money to be spent. You can get some fabulous rings for €300/400 range !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I want cosy boot slippers with a hard sole so I can go out into the garden or wash the floors in them (WHAT an old lady thing to say)
    I'd like one of those reading lights you clip onto books.
    My Christmas Eve pj's
    Something delicious I wouldn't buy for myself, like a salted caramel chocolate torte. (And be able to eat it at my leisure without feeling like I've to get through it quickly or my husband will rob a big chunk :o )

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Agree with this. My OH spent a bloody fortune on my engagement ring and I was terrified to wear it. Had I went ring shopping there was no way I would have allowed that amount of money to be spent. You can get some fabulous rings for €300/400 range !

It is mad how much is spent and it means nothing as such

Whispered wrote: »
    . (And be able to eat it at my leisure without feeling like I've to get through it quickly or my husband will rob a big chunk :o )

Love this :) still laughing !

It is mad how much is spent and it means nothing as such

Agreed! And my poor OH always gave out that I wasn't wearing it. Was bloody terrified to let people breath on it never mind wear it. Now please don't get me wrong I love it dearly he went to a lot of effort actually got one custom made after one in my favourite films so a very personal and sentimental touch but I feel like I should be tucking it away safely rather than wearing it !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm not much of a one for presents, although I do like getting them. TBH I'd be delighted with some more time to spend with my GF, things are crazy with us at the moment and we don't get to see each other enough. :(

BUT if I were to be a bit materialistic, I'd love to get myself an Xbox One or a PS4. I'd also love a jersey from my NFL team (even if we did loose badly last night :mad:), or some nice accessories. I love leather bracelets and silver jewellery. I recently lost what I consider to be my "engagement" ring (it was a Russian wedding ring with the inside of each ring engraved) so I'd love a replacement.

And I wouldn't say no to a new bottle of Tom Ford Black Orchid perfume. (Seriously, it's sex in a bottle!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I don't really have anything on a wish list this year we are heading to NYC early December so I plan on treating myself then and himself too, I am quite sensible with money but not when it comes to anything Christmassy :D we said we would just do small pressies this year, Pyjamas I would be happy with or a Yankee Candle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

I really am happy with anything. I know sometimes people say perfume is a boring unimaginative gift but I actually love receiving it and because people now know that I never have to buy it! I have loads of bottles of really nice perfumes so I'm sorted in that department. I always smell good and people actually often compliment me on my variety of sweet scents ;-)
    A relative of mine mentioned recently though that instead of material items it's really nice to just go out together so methinks a voucher for a really good restaurant or concert is in order for her. I think she makes a good point. It's nice to have something small wrapped in paper under the tree though be it socks, cheap perfume, a handmade snowman ornament, handmade chocolate from a craft fair etc., chocolate from a pound shop(!), I don't really care. It's just nice to have something under the tree :-) but also it's nice to just all spend time together because at the end of the day when you're old and frail that's what you'll remember - all the occasions you went out together. And that latter point is why I love Christmas. To me it's just become a time for family and friends and spending with them the time I wish I had to spend with them all during the year, sitting in dim light with a glass of wine in hand and the sweet smell of some Yankee candle. God, I love Christmas :-)

DrJ wrote: »
    I really am happy with anything. I know sometimes people say perfume is a boring unimaginative gift but I actually love receiving it and because people now know that I never have to buy it! I have loads of bottles of really nice perfumes so I'm sorted in that department.
    A relative of mine mentioned recently though that instead of material items it's really nice to just go out together so methinks a voucher for a really good restaurant or concert is in order for her. I think she makes a good point. It's nice to have something small wrapped in paper under the tree though be it socks, cheap perfume, a handmade snowman ornament, handmade chocolate from a craft fair etc., chocolate from a pound shop(!), I don't really care. It's just nice to have something under the tree :-)

My mam&god mother prefer to go out together we always go for a Christmas meal the last weekend before Christmas my treat, but I will get them something for under the tree and fill their stocking for them too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

That's lovely, Sarah Lil. My ideal is just something very small for under the tree and then if we can go out together be it a meal, a drink, go to the Christmas market, ice skating, bowling, whatever, just make time for each other in addition to one tiny inexpensive item then that's enough.

We have picked the ring, the plan was for Christmas but with set up costs of moving house and country plus getting her a new car it would mean taking out a loan to get it. I am still thinking about this option but I do believe she might feel guilty about that.

A Christmas proposal would be nice though (not on the day, maybe a day or two before hand)

• Advertisement

DrJ wrote: »
    That's lovely, Sarah Lil. My ideal is just something very small for under the tree and then if we can go out together be it a meal, a drink, go to the Christmas market, ice skating, bowling, whatever, just make time for each other in addition to one tiny inexpensive item then that's enough.

You sound like one of my pals she loves perfume, most times for birthdays/Christmas I will pick her up some I love giving gifts that people use, a pair of pjs I would be happy with as I said

A turbo trainer, trail runners, and a northface type jacket.

Better start shopping then >.<

^^ Ear plugs for the rest of the house whilst the turbo is in use.

^^ Ear plugs for the rest of the house whilst the turbo is in use.

*adds to list*

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Id like an underwater mp3 for training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Like most people, anything I receive I always love and appreciate but if I had to say what I'd love this year it'd be:

-A new gym bag
    -New runners
    -New gym clothes
    -Naked Smoky palette

I know the gym stuff sounds dull but I'm big into my health and fitness this year; losing weight and getting fit, plus eating right has just made me feel ten times better about myself.

I was very down on myself at the start of this year, wondering if I'd ever bite the bullet and just do it.

Well I've lost 3 and a half stone so far, feeling fab and the new gym stuff would really make me happy! :)
    The Naked palette would be fab too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

fussyonion wrote: »
    I was very down on myself at the start of this year, wondering if I'd ever bite the bullet and just do it.

Well I've lost 3 and a half stone so far, feeling fab

That's amazing! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roselm wrote: »
    That's amazing! Fair play!

Thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I usually buy things for other people that I would love myself so I end up buying 2 of them and keeping one for me :o Ordered a pressie for my brother the other day and couldn't help ordering one for myself too. Let on to OH that amazon had somehow messed up the order and sent 2 but sure with the hassle it would take to return the second one, I might as well just keep it for myself :pac: he wasn't buying it for one minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

This year, We decided not to get each other anything at all. Money's been tight & we have a big spend coming up in February, so we decided to just not do it. Having said that, I picked up a bottle of perfume for her to have under the tree..

Advertisement