Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober November - who's in?

• 27-10-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Hmm and hawd about this but I'm determined to do this. One day at a time.
    Few social outings in the diary but want to give it a decent shot

Anyone else doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I really don't mean to sound condescending (seriously) but if you are doing it 'one day at a time' you might have a problem. It's only a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

petes wrote: »
    I really don't mean to sound condescending (seriously) but if you are doing it 'one day at a time' you might have a problem. It's only a month.

Maybe I do.
    I find if I think of the larger picture it is more daunting than just the day I can control. Today.

I gave up for 8 weeks earlier in the year and really enjoyed the time.

drydub wrote: »
    Maybe I do.
    I find if I think of the larger picture it is more daunting than just the day I can control. Today.

I gave up for 8 weeks earlier in the year and really enjoyed the time.

Well that really is the way to do it, the one day at a time. So probably best to just think like that. If you try and think about the bigger picture it's a lot more to deal with.

Count me in mate :) I have not been sober for longer than 2 weeks in god knows how long..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Good luck everyone, give yourself that goal to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I will have a few beers tomorrow night, we will be dead long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

I'm in. Was gonna do it solo but I'll jump on board here. Support always helps

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

In. Will be running more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Signed in lads, have an eye on going longer than a month but a sober November would be a solid platform. Might be no harm to throw in updates to keep us accountable :)

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Signed in lads, have an eye on going longer than a month but a sober November would be a solid platform. Might be no harm to throw in updates to keep us accountable :)

Good man I have an eye on longer myself but November will be a good start..

• Advertisement

Good man I have an eye on longer myself but November will be a good start..

Exactly the same boat here and I'm all for ColeTrain's idea of updating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yup that's my plan, along with getting rid of processed sugar for the month. God help me!

Exactly the same boat here and I'm all for ColeTrain's idea of updating

Updating sounds good will do the same myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

To get it rolling:
    Was out for a while last night. Could have went drinking as it wasn't November yet but decided not to. First pub I went to was quiet so there was no issue and didn't even notice I was drinking diet coke.
    We decided to head down to a busier bar. I found the noise started to annoy me and the crowd was getting messier, so I went home at 11.
    The advantages were I spent less than a tenner and feel fine today. Also had the car and the freedom it brings is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭another36

I've already done no drinking for October had no plans for November but I think I'll keep it going.

I wouldn't be a huge drinker but a family member was recently in rehab so in order to support them we all went dry.

That was August so I've only had 2 nights drinking since then. Both the end of September .

Enjoy not having hangovers. Only issue is I can't stay out as late. I get fed up of drunks by midnight ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

In.

Well I had a family party at home last night and drank tons of water to flush out my system. I am feeling pretty good today and need too stick with it this time..Good luck to those who are in.

Heading to the scratcher now, gonna watch a DVD. 1 day down.

Hope everyone else got through the day successfully.

Right that's the first weekend over, how did we all do ? You must learn from the boredom and anxiety that kicked in for some, start putting plans into place in what to be doing when your most vulnerable witching hour comes along, and it always drops by, get your plan into place, failing to plan is planing to fail, let's go folks and move on yis are doing great :-)

realies wrote: »
    Right that's the first weekend over, how did we all do ? You must learn from the boredom and anxiety that kicked in for some, start putting plans into place in what to be doing when your most vulnerable witching hour comes along, and it always drops by, get your plan into place, failing to plan is planing to fail, let's go folks and move on yis are doing great :-)

Well I have plenty to keep me busy this week but as soon as Thursday comes that is when it will hit me. I am going to sign up to play a Poker Tournament online for Thursday evening and treat myself to a nice Chinese take away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I have decided to join in
    also, decided to do movember, No chocolate, no fissy drinks or crisps

should be a fun month

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I'm in too, a dry month is long overdue! It's my birthday next week and it'll be the first time I haven't drank to celebrate in my adult life (turning 32).
    Looking forward to a clear head on weekend mornings and few extra euro in the wallet!

I'm in a different category than people on this thread but the last post will get you thinking. The clear head and the few extra euro. The clear head for me is worth a lot.

A Monday would seem like an eternity at work because I was fecked from the weekend.

If you are a drinker it's very easy to spend a fortune over one weekend!!

Keep it going, I'd say there will be a few surprising updates about how good people feel after the initial week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Good luck to all!

For most of us, cutting down or stopping for a month can deliver some real benefits. It can help you lose weight, improve your appearance, feel more energetic, and reduce your drinking in the long-run if you so desire .

What’s not to like ?

Still here! Finding Youtube a great ally at night time. Going to bed that bit earlier (at a time I'd normally be having a beer), throwing on a TV show or other. Happy out

Hope everyone is still on board

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Still on board, along with no fissy drinks, chocolate, crisps, sweets and a moustache for d month ahead

you ever know a man who tries to drown his sorrows, kindly inform him his sorrows know how to swim.”
    ― Pittacus Lore, The Power of Six

“Alcohol ruined me financially and morally, broke my heart and the hearts of too many others. Even though it did this to me and it almost killed me and I haven't touched a drop of it in seventeen years, sometimes I wonder if I could get away with drinking some now. I totally subscribe to the notion that alcoholism is a mental illness because thinking like that is clearly insane.”
    ― Craig Ferguson, American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot

Great work everyone keep it going ...

I am still going strong doing some gaming and work online to keep me busy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭danslevent

After blacking out two nights in a row last weekend, I am in. Haven't drank since Saturday and I am determined to see this month through.

Advertisement