Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sryanonese: A brand new language

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A tip to everybody about the numbers of why some have apostrophes where the "a" is supposed to be.

This only applies to numbers and seasons, in Sryanonese, "a" is not allowed go beside the following letters:

*h
    *w
    *q
    *n
    *c
    *k
    *any vowel

The two big exceptions are the number one and Winter.

1 = Sa nout
    Winter = Sa wride

The reason why for this is because of how weird it sounds when you say Sa with the following letters of the second word. For example,

6 = S'hout (better way of saying it) (pronounced like "suit")
    compared to
    6 = Sa hout (see the strange pronunciation)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I should have been more specific. Mathematical symbols, -, +, divide, x. Not symbols such as "=". That was my fault, sorry for confusing.

Like I said before, "=" is a mathematical symbol.

Like I said before, "=" is a mathematical symbol.

Yeah and as I said only the mathematical symbols - instead you use very short words in Sryanonese such as tír (multiply).

-
    +
    divide
    x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hypothetically if someone was writing a complex equation in Sryanonese, would they have to use the language's words for +, -, etc.?

Here are some exercises to practice using the verb Tias to describe your age.

She is 1. _________________________.
    I am 6. ___________________________.
    You (pl.) are 4. ____________________.
    He is 9. __________________________.
    I am 7. ___________________________.
    Geraldine is 5. ____________________.
    Luke is 3. ________________________.

Ianse pó exrecsie (Answers to exercises)

She is 1 - Trei tian sa nout.
    I am 6 - Uai tia s'hout.
    You (pl.) are 4 - Luie tiev sa puyter.
    He is 9 - Rei tian s'quaoi.
    I am 7 - Uai tia s'wipon.
    Geraldine is 5 - Geraldine tian s'nacy.
    Luke is 3 - Luke tian sa rudi.

• Advertisement

Hypothetically if someone was writing a complex equation in Sryanonese, would they have to use the language's words for +, -, etc.?

Yeah but you would be surprised of how short they are

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It seems crazy to rewrite the following in words than in symbols. It would also mean that maths would have to be relearned for any native speakers/writers.

eq0048P.gif

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It seems crazy to rewrite the following in words than in symbols. It would also mean that maths would have to be relearned for any native speakers/writers.

eq0048P.gif

Oh wait I didn't think this long and hard enough. How would you like if I get rid of that silly Maths rule? It is very confusing to even me because I was doing a few equations and a negative number (-2, -3 etc) looks so wrong. Thank you for helping me realize this.

Oh wait I didn't think this long and hard enough. How would you like if I get rid of that silly Maths rule? It is very confusing to even me because I was doing a few equations and a negative number (-2, -3 etc) looks so wrong. Thank you for helping me realize this.

Yeah there's a reason why maths is fairly universal in the symbols and layout. By all means, translate the symbols to your language for use when speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Btw Caoimhgh1n, I thought you didn't have time (or didn't want to...) to learn Sryanonese?

No, I don't. Does commenting on your language automatically contradict everything I've said, or something?

By the way, I don't think text speak is allowed.

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    No, I don't. Does commenting on your language automatically contradict everything I've said, or something?

By the way, I don't think text speak is allowed.

Kinda does, because you could be using the said time learning the 2 languages you said you were learning.

Kinda does, because you could be using the said time learning the 2 languages you said you were learning.

If I spent more than the 30 minutes per language I do each day, I wouldn't remember as much. Quality is better than quantity.

Luire - Monday
    Muire - Tuesday
    Chuire - Wednesday
    Duire - Thursday
    Auire - Friday
    Suire - Saturday
    Druire - Sunday

S'kriatrie - Spring
    Sa prohetun - Summer
    S'autoure - Autumn
    Sa wride - Winter

Jeinoir - January
    Feiboir - February
    Mathes - March
    Aítean - April
    Maine - May
    Jaine - June
    Júl - July
    Autra - August
    Sepebrée - September
    Octobrée - October
    Novimbrée - November
    Decimbrée - December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

How do you say 'you need to up your medication' in this language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Like any language, however, with or without irregular verbs, it is hard to learn once you don't practice using them. However, if ya do, it becomes much easier. Like I know, the verbs To be, to turn, to go, to play (all irregular) off by heart right now. Why? because I practiced using them.

I'm still a little confused as to why you made these verbs irregular. Is it just to make your language look like a 'proper' language? Irregular verbs developed because they were in such high use, if you really want this language to take off, why not allow it to evolve naturally?

The same kind of thing applies to numbers in that there doesn't seem to be a connection in the words for (say) 6, 16 and 60. Is that done on purpose?

How do you say 'you need to up your medication' in this language?

Phai nedtom pó utsuto gut medí
    (You) (need) (to) (up) (your) (medication)

Pronunciation

Fay netom po utsooto gut medee

You could also say

Phai nedtom pó utsuto phainte medí
    (You) (need) (to) (up) (your) (medication)

Pronunciation

Fay netom po utsooto faint medee

Tip: You can either say "phainte" or "gut" for "your" in Sryanonese as for words such as "yours", "mine" or "theirs" - there are TWO translations of each and it is your option to choose which you'd like to say.

I'm still a little confused as to why you made these verbs irregular. Is it just to make your language look like a 'proper' language? Irregular verbs developed because they were in such high use, if you really want this language to take off, why not allow it to evolve naturally?

The same kind of thing applies to numbers in that there doesn't seem to be a connection in the words for (say) 6, 16 and 60. Is that done on purpose?

There is a reason why I said it was a tricky language and is not supposed to be easy. One way to show how irregular verbs are evolving "naturally" in Sryanonese is that the Future Tense is regular for every verb except Tias (because you use the present tense of this and the infinitive of a verb to make it the future tense). The Future Tense in Sryanonese is similar to the Futur Sampla in French. For Tias, we simply say

Pronoun + present tense of tias + coíp (only to be used with Tias).

There are also a couple of similar endings in the tenses for irregular verbs - by this means, I mean that they don't match the regular but other irregular verbs. I wanted irregular verbs to make it a tricky language - not to make it look like the popular ones.

Look at the connection of the days of the week and months of the year - they are very easy to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

I love etymology so im just curious
    Do you dip your hand into a scrabble bag when creating a new word, or is there some form of meaning to it in connection with another language, or previously existing words in this language?

• Advertisement

mattP wrote: »
    I love etymology so im just curious
    Do you dip your hand into a scrabble bag when creating a new word, or is there some form of meaning to it in connection with another language, or previously existing words in this language?

Read back at the start of the thread and see how I create a new word. Some words have connection with other languages. The days of the week for example here:

Luire - French "lundi", Irish "luan"
    Muire - French "mardi", Irish "máirt" - plus Muire is Irish for Mary
    Chuire - French "mercredi" (no match), Irish "céadaoin"
    Duire - French "jeudi" (no match), Irish "déardaoin"
    Auire - French "vendredi" (no match), Irish "aoine"
    Suire - French "samedi", Irish "satharn"
    Druire - French "dimanche", Irish "domhnach"

Do you see the connections?

Three ways of translating a word I do.

1. Connecting with the word in another language (days of the week is your example)
    2. Totally random word (rarely happens)
    3. Come up with a couple of words and say them in a sentence - see which one sounds good.

Can you see the connection in some words such as:

Rúinín (Running)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

There is a reason why I said it was a tricky language and is not supposed to be easy. One way to show how irregular verbs are evolving "naturally" in Sryanonese is that the Future Tense is regular for every verb except Tias (because you use the present tense of this and the infinitive of a verb to make it the future tense). The Future Tense in Sryanonese is similar to the Futur Sampla in French. For Tias, we simply say

Pronoun + present tense of tias + coíp (only to be used with Tias).

There are also a couple of similar endings in the tenses for irregular verbs - by this means, I mean that they don't match the regular but other irregular verbs. I wanted irregular verbs to make it a tricky language - not to make it look like the popular ones.

Look at the connection of the days of the week and months of the year - they are very easy to learn.

Oh, I understand you when you said that it was a 'tricky' language, and can see the evidence for that. My question was actually why you're making it to be so difficult? Languages like (for example) Irish or German are tricky for some people because of the irregularity of the most common used verbs, as well as differences in grammar compared to English. I'm just wondering why you're introducing these difficulties. Is it simply to mimic other languages?

Going back again to the numbers point, is there a particular reason why you've used completely different words for 6, 16 and 60? Somebody above mentioned an interest in etymology, I'm coming at it from this point of view too.

Oh, I understand you when you said that it was a 'tricky' language, and can see the evidence for that. My question was actually why you're making it to be so difficult? Languages like (for example) Irish or German are tricky for some people because of the irregularity of the most common used verbs, as well as differences in grammar compared to English. I'm just wondering why you're introducing these difficulties. Is it simply to mimic other languages?

Going back again to the numbers point, is there a particular reason why you've used completely different words for 6, 16 and 60? Somebody above mentioned an interest in etymology, I'm coming at it from this point of view too.

'Cause around the time when I was making numbers, I chose randomly made up words - these days I very rarely do that. No as I said, the only reason I could say is to make it tricky. I don't want to mimic other languages with everything - like, there is no particular Genitive case, just different words - there are two ways of saying the word. Like for "Yours", you can either say "gute" (gut(e) = your(s) (as I said in the above sentence) OR "phainte" (a special form of "you", cause you = phai (without the "nte"). It is totally up to you which one you want to use when learning it but make sure ya know both because the other one, you may not be using might come up in things such as stories (which I will make) or poems etc. There is different etymology for every TOPIC.

Days of the week - mostly Irish but also French
    Months of the year - French
    Irregular verbs - French, and Irish (the way some are pronounced)
    Numbers - no origin, just random
    Plurals - nowhere, but they are very easy to form and there are no irregular ones

the above are some examples.

Since you's are so interested, I'll give one of tomorrow's topics for today instead. Pronunciations beside each

Bígín - Boxing (beejeen)
    Bascuetó - Basketball (baskooeto)
    Foutetó - Football (footeto)
    Nietetó - Netball (niaito)
    Vientóetó - Volleyball (vee-en-toeto)
    Seochlá - Soccer (shuck-law)
    Geil - Gaelic (gale)
    Beántearín - Ballet dancing (ban-tear-een)
    Tearín - Dancing (tear-een)
    Tearia - Dance (tear-e-ah)
    Póla - Pass (pole-a)
    Bioyín - Bowling (b-oy-een)
    Bioye - Bowls (b-oy-e)
    Waratelín - Wrestling (wara-te-leen)
    Archerí - Archery (archery like the actual English)
    Claíolín - Clay pigeon shooting (
    Pearetó - Paintball
    Pólín - Passing
    Reinír - Manhunt (the clue here is that Rei (first 3 letters) means he and REIN (with the n) is man) (rain-ear)
    Cairtín - Karting (cart-een)
    Írín - Hunting (you already know what hunt is from manhunt so hunting shouldn't be hard to form. all you do is add 'ín' to make it a verbal noun) (ear-een)
    Sexaetó - Scoutball (ses-ate-o)
    Mizuletó - Dodgeball (another irregular verbal noun other than swimming) (miz-u-let-o)
    Huirleín - Hurling (her-leen)
    Rúgbaíonn - Rugby (roog-been)
    Skizzeín - Swimming (skizz-een)
    Abséilín - Abseiling (ab-sail-een)
    Kiyakín - Kayaking (ky-ac-een)
    Fieraín - Fencing (fear-een)
    Híol - Hockey (heel)
    Híolair - Air hockey (heel-air)
    Eraow - Golf (ear-ow)
    Foutetó eraow - Golf football / Footgolf (footeto ear-ow)
    Lindtram - Pool (lin-tram)
    Foutetó lindtram - Pool football / Footpool (footeto lin-tram)
    Smula - Snooker (smoola)
    Imatietó - Handball (ima-t-eto)
    Didiza - Airsoft (di-dee-za)
    Burgín - Shooting (football) (bur-jeen)
    Kinadín - Shooting (killing) (cin-a-deen)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you just doing this as an exercise, or do you see a use or demand for it?

looksee wrote: »
    Are you just doing this as an exercise, or do you see a use or demand for it?

Look back at the start of the thread! Please people look at every post before you ask questions such as this that have already been asked. I am not repeating myself again. Like it's not a long thread to scam through?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look back at the start of the thread! Please people look at every post before you ask questions such as this that have already been asked. I am not repeating myself again. Like it's not a long thread to scam through?

Scam? :P

However; I did read the thread, though I admit to skimming quickly over the lessons, but I did not see an answer to the question.

You said: 'The aim of Sryanonese, like any language, is getting out into the world to be spoken'. Leaving aside the grammar of that sentence, and the point that a language cannot have an aim, how do you suggest that this is going to happen? How will you promote the language and persuade people put themselves out to learn a language that they are very unlikely to be able to use?

If your satisfaction is simply in creating the language, with no concern for what will happen to it, then it is an exercise - and nothing wrong with that, people do all kinds of things solely for their own interest.

looksee wrote: »
    Scam? :P

However; I did read the thread, though I admit to skimming quickly over the lessons, but I did not see an answer to the question.

You said: 'The aim of Sryanonese, like any language, is getting out into the world to be spoken'. Leaving aside the grammar of that sentence, and the point that a language cannot have an aim, how do you suggest that this is going to happen? How will you promote the language and persuade people put themselves out to learn a language that they are very unlikely to be able to use?

If your satisfaction is simply in creating the language, with no concern for what will happen to it, then it is an exercise - and nothing wrong with that, people do all kinds of things solely for their own interest.

Then it's exercise - happy? :mad:

Yes "scam" as in look through. I already am promoting through friends and I am only a teen - I can't promote big yet! Any translations you will need can be done at this translator and any new words are thrown into it as soon as I make them

http://lingojam.com/Sryanonese

And any sentences you ask for to translate, it helps me a lot and the sentences are added to the translator such as the one sonny.knowles asked

Then it's exercise - happy? :mad:

Yes "scam" as in look through. I already am promoting through friends and I am only a teen - I can't promote big yet! Any translations you will need can be done at this translator and any new words are thrown into it as soon as I make them

Okay, how many of you can speak it fluently? Fluent, as in a detailed conversation about politics, not asking the time and introducing yourself.

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Okay, how many of you can speak it fluently? Fluent, as in a detailed conversation about politics, not asking the time and introducing yourself.

Sorry but are you forgetting I'm still writing the language? I know all basic stuff in Sryanonese which is literally what I'm doing. There are so many basic words to make before I move onto words such as adolescent or enthusiasm.

Advertisement